• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

5th Gen iPod (now with Video!)

evoWALO

specstop20051011.jpg

http://images.apple.com/movies/us/apple/ipod_20051012/apple_ipod-20051012_h640.mov

*edit by hokiethang* Made the title a little easier to understand

Top Gear

Top Gear

Now we only need to get Top Gear on it :)

Please Viper007, could you consider encoding a version for the iPod's resolution and bitrate ?

That would be awesome.

The 5th Gen iPod supports the following video formats

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats.

The 320x240 resolution doesnt mean it cant play higher res vids but it can only display that resolution on its built-in screen. As for the resolution it can display on a Standard Definition TV (480i) is still up in the air until someone triesi t out. H.264 was designed to handle HD resolutions of up to 1920x1080. I hope they offer a S-Video/Component cables for it as well. Composite cables sucks gas.

yea... it would be kickass if someone offered TG in that format :D... my lectures won't be that bad after all :D

andyhui01 said:
yea... it would be kickass if someone offered TG in that format :D... my lectures won't be that bad after all :D

I'd consider doing it (since I have the software required) moreso if I buy a video iPod (since I need something to test it on).

hokiethang said:
I'd consider doing it (since I have the software required) moreso if I buy a video iPod (since I need something to test it on).

Here's a little nudge.

42 minute TV episodes are roughly 200MB according to the settings Apple is using, so figure a bit more for an hour Top Gear/Fifth Gear episode.

57.jpg

514.jpg

Wow thats amazing, I WANT ONE!!

I hope they make something bigger than 60GB though. I mean if I want my Top Gear collection on there (18.2GB) + all the other stuff I have and my music (35GB), im gonna be tight for space on a 60GB...

Also, just like the 1G iPod and the recent Nano, it uses the same clear plastic cover which I can report is prone to scratches easily cos I have one.

I think I'm getting one, but that would be so awesome with Top Gear! This coincides perfectly with the next season. Thank you to anyone considering encoding the shows in H.264 or mpg4.
:)

Yeah I want one, I've waited 2 generations (I have a 3rd gen one), but $400 is a bit too much right now.

My only concern about re-encoding TG for the iPod is that it may not be very easy to watch since TG (and FG for that matter) are both in 16x9 aspect ratios, whereas the iPod is only 4x3, so you would have to have black bars on the top and bottom of the video. A PSP would be better suited for TG and FG since its in 16x9 aspect ratio.

Well, if you max out the specs it can handle and want the max. in Video Quality, 1 hour will equal 400 MB...

But since it Plays 320x240 in h.264 you could get very good quality with half the size, or 175 MB, just as it was mentioned above...

@evoWALO: Forget the mpeg 4 video @ 2.5 Mbit/s since that would mean 1,2 gig per hour without any quality improvement... and 480x480 is pretty fucked up ;-)

Since the source would still be the Finalgear/Vuk rip, I certainly would be SMALLER and never bigger...

If you wanna see yourself how big a certain file would be @ a certain bitrate, google for a bitrate calculator and give it a try...

So happy i waited and diddent buy the nano!! - Though it is very sexy!

So can you just put your videos on the ipod or do you have to be a scientist to encode the videos so that the ipod can read them??

Lilleput said:
So happy i waited and diddent buy the nano!! - Though it is very sexy!

So can you just put your videos on the ipod or do you have to be a scientist to encode the videos so that the ipod can read them??

It should be fairly easy if you have quicktime 7.0.3 to re-encode video. I'm going to start with this series making the PSP versions of FG and TG if anyone is interested. I'm not sure how large these will be or how (if) i'll be able to distribute them, but if the PSP ones work out well, i'll look in to re-encoding TG and FG for the iPod (if I can get an iPod to test the videos on).

wow what a waste of money :thumbsdown:

Since I remember Hokie being quite a tech freak(home cinema) and able to spend money on stuff like that, he won't let the Ipod go to waste...

Others might appreciate that...

Buba

..if only it had HDMI out.... HD video and audio =) only being able to hook it up to a tv via composite sucks.