720P MOMENTUM rips have issues....please fix

homerbeer

Hi guys,

I've noticed that every episode of TGUSA has issues with the 720P rips. I really appreciate MOMENTUM going to the effort of encoding them for our viewing pleasure, however, they won't play on my PS3, I always get "corrupted data". I'm using PS3 Media Server to stream and am able to stream the TGUK 720P rips perfectly. I can managed to stream to PS3 using TVersity, but the picture is jerky and far from smooth.

Anybody else having this problem and can this be addressed please?

Cheers,
Homer

I can't speak for streaming them to your PS3 as I don't do that, but episodes 1 and 2 play perfectly on both of my computers and I've received no other complaints.

Yes I can play them on my pc too, however something has been done during the encoding which causes curruption on PS3, as Top Gear UK 720P episodes play perfect. I'd much rather watch TG on a nice big telly on HD than on my pc :)

Some *possible* solutions for you guys. Either way worked for what I was trying to do (edit/cut clips). Though, it's not the same as your issue, these might help.

Option 1: MKClean:
http://forums.finalgear.com/problem...-america-02x02-720p-issues-50450/#post1727997

Option 2: Demux/Mux:
http://forums.finalgear.com/problems/top-gear-16x02-mkv2vob-repairing-ac3-48039/page-3/#post1726053

If option 1 (the quickest option) does not work, you'll basically have to rip the mkv apart, convert, and put it back together.

Good Luck!

Some *possible* solutions for you guys. Either way worked for what I was trying to do (edit/cut clips). Though, it's not the same as your issue, these might help.

Option 1: MKClean:
http://forums.finalgear.com/problem...-america-02x02-720p-issues-50450/#post1727997

Good Luck!

Tried that with no success. Surely just encoding it the same as the UK version would be easier and save these headaches?

EDIT:Ok serveral threads now popping up with people having issues.

http://forums.finalgear.com/problems/top-gear-america-s02e01-not-playing-50359/
http://forums.finalgear.com/problems/top-gear-17x06-and-top-gear-america-02x02-720p-issues-50450/

Last edited:
Surely just encoding it the same as the UK version would be easier and save these headaches?

You do realize that Finalgear does not do the encodes?

Also, from what I gather, PS3 playback is always a bit iffy... Have you tried another version of the Program you use to stream the file?
Plus, the scene switched encoding settings recently, afaik. All the eps no longer are the same size for the same duration (i.e 1,1GB for a 42 min episode), maybe the fault lies there... Still, I'd bet the problem is somewhere on your end.

For PS3 Media Server, my fix has been to do the following:
  1. Enter the TRANSCODE folder
  2. Choose the proper episode sub-folder
  3. View using the 2nd option, [TsMuxer]
This has worked fine for me so far. Not sure how dependent on
software versions it is though.

Playback does not work on Samsung Galaxy S either where other encodes do. SERIOUSLY, please change the way this is encoded so that these work arounds aren't required. And yes I do know that Final Gear doesn't do the rips but I'm sure somebody could pass the message along.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd add that they aren't playing on my 360. Export with Quicktime, transfer to 500GB external HDD, connect to 360. Has worked fine for everything else I've done this with. Not sure what is wrong, but it's just Top Gear America that is affected from what I can tell.

I just want to say thanks alot... That works great for me. I joined this forum simply to thank you.

That got me to thinking though, I'm too lazy to click the few extra buttons to navigate the TRANSCODE folder.. I went one step further and did this

1. In PS3 Media Server (in windows/linux/whatever your running it on), click the Transcoding Settings tab
2. In the Left hand window, under Video File Engines, single-click TsMuxer
3. Below this window there are DOWN and UP Arrows, Click the UP Arrow.
4. Click Save
5. Quit PS3MS
6. Start PS3MS again.

Videos played on your PS3 through PS3MS will now use TsMuxer to transcode/remux videos, bypassing the need for using the TRANSCODE folder (Note the [TsMuxer] thing next to video name instead of [MEncoder] like it used to say).... You can now play them stuffed up 720p MOMENTUM encodes normally without screwy colour!

I did this shortly after trying your fix (actually it was when I started writing this post) to see if it would work and it does... I have tried playing multiple different videos picked at random and they all work fine so far using TsMuxer.

And BTW, I'm using PS3MS 1.30.1 just incase people were wondering

For me, all of season 1, and season 2 episodes 1-5, would not play on the DIVX player, but VLC Media Player woul play them just fine. But now episodes 6 and 7 work on the DIVX player. These are all 720p videos, on a W XP system.

1. In PS3 Media Server (in windows/linux/whatever your running it on), click the Transcoding Settings tab
2. In the Left hand window, under Video File Engines, single-click TsMuxer
3. Below this window there are DOWN and UP Arrows, Click the UP Arrow.
4. Click Save
5. Quit PS3MS
6. Start PS3MS again.

Videos played on your PS3 through PS3MS will now use TsMuxer to transcode/remux videos, bypassing the need for using the TRANSCODE folder (Note the [TsMuxer] thing next to video name instead of [MEncoder] like it used to say).... You can now play them stuffed up 720p MOMENTUM encodes normally without screwy colour!

Great stuff Shaneo now it works on the PS3. Now if only they worked on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Galaxy S :-(

You guys know those problems may be the result of a higher quality encoding profile.
Mobile devices normally only support lower profile encodes, so that fix you are asking for may come at the expense of outright quality.

I'd run graphedit (or some other utility) on the files to see exactly how they are encoded, then consult in the appropriate forum for your Android video player.