720p TG 16x01 not streaming to PS3? All other HD files working....

spoke a bit too soon; playon will stream these files, but they are choppy - like every couple of seconds.
that's odd, because the machine i'm streaming them from is way more powerful than my media server, but it was streaming HD (1080 even) Top Gear flawlessly with Tversity until whatever changed with S16. Even the Xmas episodes were perfect....

just tried ps3mediaserver - and, for some reason, it's working perfectly......i have no explanation....
it's running on the same server that tversity is on, using the same encoders, etc.....

Was getting crap sound for 16 ep 1 and 2, something to do with the number of channels, AC3 Repair and not transcoding properly (sound came out really low and seemed to be mono). Fixed it by streaming ps3mediaserver and changed the audio output to 2 channel and not 6...

Was getting crap sound for 16 ep 1 and 2, something to do with the number of channels, AC3 Repair and not transcoding properly (sound came out really low and seemed to be mono). Fixed it by streaming ps3mediaserver and changed the audio output to 2 channel and not 6...

Both are AC3 2.0 audio.

Interestingly 16x02 did work for me with PS3 Media Server. Can't explain that one, except that I use rolling release distros so maybe I have never versions installed than those having problems?

16x01 will not work with any "on-the-fly" remuxer no matter what I try.

Interestingly 16x02 did work for me with PS3 Media Server. Can't explain that one, except that I use rolling release distros so maybe I have never versions installed than those having problems?

16x01 will not work with any "on-the-fly" remuxer no matter what I try.

X2 and I know why...

If you use MediaInfo to look a the properties of the file, there are some serious issues. Below is is the output from Mediainfo for the S16E01 1080i file, take special note of the bitrate and duration:

General
ID : 1 (0x1)
Complete name : E:\TiVo\Top Gear\Top Gear S16E01 1080i HDTV DD2.0 H.264.ts
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 3.04 GiB
Duration : -10ms
Overall bit rate : -1816213666544177900

What I don't know is how to fix it. I'm not sure we can after the fact... Below is the output for S16E00 1080i, which is working fine...

General
ID : 1 (0x1)
Complete name : E:\TiVo\Top Gear\Top Gear S16E00 1080i HDTV DD2.0 H.264.ts
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 4.60 GiB
Duration : 1h 16mn
Overall bit rate : 8 644 Kbps

I've already posted about this problem and its fix for 720p files, although I had my prognosis backwards, I have found out the problem. ( http://forums.finalgear.com/problems/top-gear-16x02-mkv2vob-repairing-ac3-48039/#post1598659 )

Basically with FOV releases there's a transition from 5.1 AC3 audio to 2 AC3 - This confuses MKV2VOB and other problems.

I have fixed these and made a torrent if you're interested.
Here is Episode 5 & 6
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6194510/Top_Gear_S16_E4_amp_E5_[Fixed_Audio_Problems_with_MKV2VOB]

Direct Download Link
http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/61...io_Problems_with_MKV2VOB].6194510.TPB.torrent

I'll work on getting episode 2 up today.

Last edited:
The issue I was having was specifically with the 720p version of 16x01... the rest have been fine. I've not seen totally compelling evidence of why it happened, but what is important is that it has not happened since. :)

Hey everyone, for some reason I haven't been able to play any HD episodes on my PS3 at all. I've been using handbreak to convert the mkvs to mp4 but whenever I try to copy to my PS3 using PS3 Media Server, or try to play the file off a thumb drive it just says "Unsupported data type"

Any suggestions?