720p vs 1080i rips

Are the mkv versions of the 1080i rips any better than the 1080i TS rips? Probably not, I'm assuming, but the sound quality of the TS files could be better.

No, same video and audio, just different container.

The EU standard is 50FPS while in NA it's 60FPS. The previous Top Gear seasons were aired in 60FPS but they weren't HD programming.

TG (and pretty much everything else on tv in the united states of europeland) is shot at 25 frames per second, so airing it at 60 frames per second, HD or not, would be pointless.

TG (and pretty much everything else on tv in the united states of europeland) is shot at 25 frames per second, so airing it at 60 frames per second, HD or not, would be pointless.

Not really - it has to be converted to NTSC for airing in the US, of course. Thus, 2:3 Pulldown or software interpolation has to take place, which can actually result in a less smooth image than in the original european airing.

Last edited:
Wow look what I started... lol, never anticipated this thread to live on like this.

Regardless, i've decided to watch 14x03, both the 720p and 1080i mkv's at the same time... and the 1080 is noticibly more crisp and clear. I'm using mean deinterlacing mode which works pretty well.

I think the quality is a good 15-20% better, but I still don't think its worth a file that is 200% bigger. Just my opinion...

I'll still DL the 1080 though. Yeah... I know what I just said.

Not really - it has to be converted to NTSC for airing in the US, of course. Thus, 2:3 Pulldown or software interpolation has to take place, which can actually result in a less smooth image than in the original european airing.

The comparison was between British shows made for British TV and North American shows made for North American TV, see the original post:
Irregardless of the interlacing, everything from here for television is filmed at 29.97fps, not 60. The only unnatural smoothness is on (typically lower budget) british shows.

No conversions involved :tease:

Spicerack: Yeah, well... apparently every thread on video/HD/quality/similar stuff turns into a monster, mostly due to new people joining in every few days causing lots of repeats.

The comparison was between British shows made for British TV and North American shows made for North American TV, see the original post:

No conversions involved :tease:

Right - then we know why the british shows look bad in the US: 2:3 pulldown.

2:3 doesn't work for converting 25/50 to 30/60 though.

2:3 repeats every fourth field or turns two frames into two and a half frames, doing that to 50 fields per second pal would result in 62.5 fields per second.
What you need is 2:2:3:2:3, turns five frames or ten fields into six frames or twelve fields, 25 per second become 30 per second.

...still does produce suboptimal results of course.

I dont know if i can reexplain everything once again over here, but all-in-all ive made a comparision video sample between a 1080p50 vs 1080p25. If anyone wants to follow, read our posts here from page 2:

http://forums.finalgear.com/finalgear-com-news/top-gear-14x01-1080i-ts-rip-40521/page-2/

either way, there was a problem on megaupload, but it should be working fine now, but is some still insist that they cant get it to work, ive also made a Mediafire upload just in case:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P6AXPYB4

http://www.mediafire.com/?tt4zjlvmzjt

As mentioned before, you lot might have problem playing it back smoothly like on VLC Player, but for some odd reason, it plays perfectly fine on WMP12, of course ur rigs out there should be able to handle HD footage. Please let me know wat one thinks :D

That's a very good comparison, and clearly shows what I've been trying to say.

Remember to use a referesh rate of 50, 75 or 100Hz on your display when watching it. Most are set at 60Hz by default, and that will introduce some stuttering (some of the frames will be shown twice to fill in the gap between 50Hz (in the clip) and 60Hz (on the display)).

But the difference is huge regardless of referesh rate. The 50fps clip will just look even better when properly synced to the display.

Great thread folks.
So what is the real differences between the 1080i TS rips & the 1080p MKV rips?
Is it just bitrate?, as the TS files are twice the size of the 1080p ones.
Are the 1080p ones any better than 720p on a large 1080p TV?
Cheers

^ Bitrate can vary depending on the compression but 1080p has a higher resolution (more pixels) than 720p

720p = 1,280x720 pixels (can vary a little)
1080p = 1,920x1080 pixels

Cheers Quad, i do understand the differences in resolution between the two.
I should have said would the 1080p mkv be almost as good as the 1080i TS as these are way to big for archiving.

Cheers Quad, i do understand the differences in resolution between the two.
I should have said would the 1080p mkv be almost as good as the 1080i TS as these are way to big for archiving.

That's a lot more workload on the encoders and releasers though, for not much more quality than 720P.

If you're willing to put up with a recode then might as well get the 720P version. It makes sense to keep the 1080i TS files because they are what people would consider 'archival quality', being exactly the same as broadcast without any loss or recompression. Essentially that's also the difference between the 1080P MKVs and the 1080i TSs -- the MKVs are a recode, the TSs are raw.

Last edited: