Ownership Verified: '77 Zastava 101 "The Flying Shite"

Weight saving! :lol:

So, today I decided to pull up my pants and do some work on the car...

Firstly testing the replacement piece that was broken on the throttle linkage:

It fits! Woot!

There are still some pieces of the throttle linkage missing, I don't know how it goes together and cannot find anything really useful online... But I can figure out a way to make it work.

There are not many pictures because I jacked up the car and put it on jack stands which sapped all of my energy, I had to lie down for 20 minutes or so to try and recover, at which point I got up and pulled the wheels off so I can take them to the local shop and get some new tires fitted which lead to me lying down for a bit.

The good news is the correct bolt for the rear suspension arrived from Croatia! I will see how my energy and leg are tomorrow and will try and get the correct bolt in!

Last edited:
So, today thanks to Nicjasno finding a picture I realised how the throttle assembly should be re-assembled. I haven't got any pics.

I also pulled all the old fuel hoses out and started re-making them:

The only step left there is to install the hose clamps (Some are ordered and should be delivered in the next day or so) as the old ones were in average condition and the first one I tried did not work properly :)

A bit more progress today as the hose clamps arrived!

I decided to replace the hose clamps on the upper radiator hose, it was all siezed though - Dremel to the rescue!

There it is reinstalled

And the lower hose

I also completed installing the fuel line:

So, crank-case breather, put oil in, put coolant in and set the timing, connect a few wires here and there and it should run!

Went and grabbed some supplies:

Added some lube:

Hired a model to show off the oil:

Replaced the gear shift bushing, the old one seemed okay, but we have a replacement, so it's fine!

And then we tried to turn it over:

Then we tested the gearbox: (Not shown is testing reverse and simply disengaging the clutch, it all worked fine!)

[video=youtube;f5-Zbl3ync0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5-Zbl3ync0[/video]

I believe this will need a gasket, but we found the bolt size and thread that we need in my stockpile - But only one of them... I guess I need some of the self-made gasket stuff. Sourcing the part seems unlikely but I will look regardless:

So, the gasket paper arrived today ... So I cut a square of it out and drew an outline:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.coastingfish.com\/i\/2018\/05\/03\/290c55a6770fb3b0d25cf06f665d3d6d.md.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Then I cut it out:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.coastingfish.com\/i\/2018\/05\/03\/2706b395f16c5404adb6cdf8c6235742.md.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Drilled, cut and sanded a bit to get it to about the right shape:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.coastingfish.com\/i\/2018\/05\/03\/0d95ae44fee9dc01e1c2408f003aa6ae.md.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.coastingfish.com\/i\/2018\/05\/03\/7a40d48c287a35e3452b588a2bfd914f.md.jpg"}[/IMG2]

And installed!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.coastingfish.com\/i\/2018\/05\/03\/56bd3c95ee2a05cba8c49f8dd580c1db.md.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I successfully filled up the coolant beyond that level and it has not leaked... (Obviously the real test is when it gets hot...

Unfortunately I found two new leaky points which need to be addressed, I am guessing that these two just connect to each other, but I am doing some googling to figure it out!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.coastingfish.com\/i\/2018\/05\/03\/b535bd916d71a38919563b3c857494ef.md.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Another unfortunately, part of the fuel hose I replaced has a very slight leak by the fuel filter. It is possible I cracked the plastic when doing up the hose clamp, or the hose clamp is not done up tight enough... (It is the only hose clamp that I did not replace, so I might just need to put a new one on...)

I was at the local mechanics/tire shop today to replace the tires, he suggested that we just take it to TÜV and see what needs to be repaired first as they only care about tread and not so much age. We will have to wait and see what happens there, but I agree with him.

So, next steps are for the weekend:

Saturday:
  1. Try and weld the last bits in the inner arches
  2. Fix the fuel leak
  3. Fix the coolant leak
  4. Clean the distributor and install the leads (Plus the coil has some disconnected wires that I need to find a home for)
  5. Source correct bolts, there are some missing. (Ground connector for the engine and a lock nut for the right rear a-arm bolt.)
  6. Attempt to start the car and test all eletronics!
Sunday:
  1. Set the timing (Friend is bringing his timing light
  2. Finish the tasks not completed on Saturday
Once the car is running I will book it in for inspection.

Last edited:
loose_unit;n3548779 said:
Saturday:
  1. Try and weld the last bits in the inner arches
  2. Fix the fuel leak
  3. Fix the coolant leak
  4. Clean the distributor and install the leads (Plus the coil has some disconnected wires that I need to find a home for)
  5. Source correct bolts, there are some missing. (Ground connector for the engine and a lock nut for the right rear a-arm bolt.)
  6. Attempt to start the car and test all eletronics!
Sunday:
  1. Set the timing (Friend is bringing his timing light
  2. Finish the tasks not completed on Saturday

A lot of stuff ticked off... Timbits and later Terrex joined on Saturday to help work on things.

On Saturday we discovered after assembling everything and getting the car running that the alternator was not charging properly. Also on Saturday we decided that the welding cannot be ticked off, the stick welding is very difficult to not melt through everything you touch unless it's inch plate steel. So this is out for now and I will probably have to outsource it, unfortunately.

But by the end of Saturday we had a running car!!!

A nice bit of rasp there :)

Onto Sunday ... We pulled the alternator out and cleaned up the brushes and the connectors inside, tested everything we could think of and it all looked okay so we threw it back in the car. It's now delivering 13.2 volts at idle which is a bit low, but it will probably get better as the brushes bed in I guess.

We replaced the fuel filler hose and put in a fresh 10 or so litres of fuel to the tank

We tested the fan switch to see what was going on there, I still need to figure out which connections and whatnot are needed to be put where to make it all work, the engine did not get hot enough to enable the switch according to our testing. In the end we gave up on this, so it is a task to do.

The timing seems to be a bit off once the car is a bit warmed up, but it starts up first time without issue since we put the fresh fuel in.

The rear suspension is now reassembled properly

The fuel leak was just a hose clamp not done up enough, so that was a quick fix.

The water leak was fixed by a hose connecting the two parts, but I will source a new hose for it that is more suitable as the one I had was just one lying around.

It's getting closer!

Oh, yeah, the car moved out of the barn under it's own power for the first time since... wow... 2014, something like 3.5 years.

It made it outside and I gave it a hose down to get most of the collected storage dust! Yay!

If anyone would like pictures of anything specific, let me know. I did not take many pictures as there was much work to do :)

So, the last few days I have been putting some effort in to getting the car sorted and driveable...

First thing is first, trying to get the fan running. And for that, I need the car up to temperature... (Note the exaust gas redirection system)

Here is the fan loosely installed, I could confirm that the switch was working but not get enough amps through to drive the fan:

The new battery:

So, the heater core is exposed because we needed to get the alternator out to get it charging:

THE NEXT DAY:

So, a wild Adunaphel showed up and we did some work on the car, I had described to him and the guys in the Zastava group the problem and had suggested that there should be a relay somewhere? But this car shouldn't have relays...

Adunaphel suddenly says "What is this relay looking thing here?"

Oh, look, there is an empty connector that matches the fan connector!

And viola! The car gets up to temp and the fan turns on!

So, the fan was re-attached properly and then we started looking at why the blower motor was not working. First thing was to completely disassemble the entire motor and fan assembly...

The bushings looked okay, the connections okay so okay, what else can it be? Oh... What's this? The fucking switch was not plugged in... :DAY

It took about an hour of frustration for Adunaphel to get the thing put together again, in the mean time I attached the fan permanently and fixed the battery in place!

The air-box was then reassembled with one part not being able to be as it seems to be broken. It's okay, it is just the vent that lets cold air into the car. So we just wedged it open and now we have cold air always but can add hot if needed :)

This is Adunaphel being frustrated:

The air filter was reassembled and works fine.

We took the car for a 2 minute drive up the road ... It is hilarious! I love it! And even better, after getting it properly warmed up it seems the italian tune is starting to take effect and the massive clouds of blue smoke are much less than they were originally!

So... Now I need to sort out a TÜV appointment as well as temp plates :)

Great progress, glad it's moving on so quickly!

Can't remember too much blue smoke from back in the day, hope it improves with a little more workout!

Beni;n3548988 said:
Great progress, glad it's moving on so quickly!

Can't remember too much blue smoke from back in the day, hope it improves with a little more workout!

I am guessing that it is just pushing out and burning the crusty old oil as it gets replaced by the fresh new oil.

Progress!

I bought myself a welder as I damn well felt like it! I have been looking for one for a while and got a great recommendation and found one that was a full kit and just pulled the trigger!

So, time to fix up the patches to make them a bit tidier, firstly some grinding:

A hole was made:

Some welding:

And this is the result so far:

I ran out of energy as I was unable to start working on it until quite late, so that is where it remains ... Hopefully I will complete this one in the coming days before I take off to the U.S. for a week.

What welder did you go for? I'm always looking at different welders and I need to learn.

What welder did you go for? I'm always looking at different welders and I need to learn.

Kemppi MinarcMig Evo 200. It was recommended by a friend of Dr Grip's - And since I got mine, another Finalgearer has purchased one too :)