Ownership Verified: '77 Zastava 101 "The Flying Shite"

Beni, PM me PayPal details and remind me in a week when I get paid and I will chip in with something. Won't be masses as we just had a couple of unexpected car expenses ourselves but since I quit smoking the least I can do is send you a week's worth of tobacco money.

Just make sure it's ready for Ringmeet and that I get to have a drive this time!

Beni, PM me PayPal details and remind me in a week when I get paid and I will chip in with something. Won't be masses as we just had a couple of unexpected car expenses ourselves but since I quit smoking the least I can do is send you a week's worth of tobacco money.

Just make sure it's ready for Ringmeet and that I get to have a drive this time!

Here you go.

I wanna attend Ringmeet 2018 and drive it again, so I can compare to 2014. :lol:

MWF, if the link doesn't work tell me, it doesn't seem to be available from Finland for example...

And please don't feel obliged to give when you need the money for your own car!

Here's a little update, I received some parts already

DTQlRrm.jpg

The shocks seemed to be a good deal but they're very clearly not the right ones for the car and not the ones advertised online:

index2.jpg

index.jpg

So I had to send them back and now I'll try and find the right ones.

The bushings I ordered were for a Fiat Ritmo, as Fiat 128/Zastava 101 ones were not available in Germany. Nicjasno found bushings in Croatia and the seller claimed they'd fit Zastavas as well as Ritmos, so I looked for them.
The ones I got are almost right, the inner metal tube is a little bit too long. I'll just trim it down to measure, still a bit strange!

index3.jpg

I didn't check the paint but I'll do so next time I'm there, I can still return it if my bad luck goes on.

As I was quite busy travelling for work I didn't order any more stuff, I'll get back to that and the bookkeeping this evening.

Last edited:
Used my lunchbreak to order more parts and discovered that shipping is free when ordering more than 100? worth of parts anyways, so I got us the shocks (more expensive but hopefully correct), cambelt, spark plugs, oil filter and the one bolt that sheared on the rear suspension plus an exhaust gasket at another shop.

:edit: updated list in later post. :edit:

About ?300.00 worth of parts left to buy! About half of the original sum has been donated and spent already...thank you all!

Donations are still very welcome, every amount counts! :)

Another part has arrived, the fuel filler tube. It looks correct and I'll compare it next time I'm in the garage.

20171123_133144_resized.jpg

Last edited:
There seems to be a problem with the set up donation box, it's apparently not available in some countries at the moment. If it's not working please notify me and send it directly by PayPal to zastava.restauration@gmail.com, I'll forward it to the Money Pool!

A little update, I got some parts that will be taken to the garage when I'm next there in two weeks time:

thumbnail_20171129_145227.jpg

Clockwise that is the fuel filler tube, narf's air-filter "made with total precision", the brake fluid hose from reservoir to main cylinder and the gaskets between head and the manifolds.

More bad luck with the shocks, after they were incorrect last time the other seller now informed me they aren't in stock despite the advertisement...Nicjasno found another pair somewhere and if that fails there's an almost new set in Slovenia I could pick up.

Found a very cheap clutch kit for 50? and ordered that...if that's alright it would save us a lot of money.

Just to check, are most Fiat 128 parts compatible or would one search for specifically Zastava 101 parts? There are sometimes old warehouse clearances here which yield a lot of parts for old cars for cheap.

As far as I can see most Fiat 128 Limousine stuff should fit. But I know for example that the 128 Coup?'s front suspension is used for the X1/9's rear, so that's completely different to Limo/101.

The list above is basically just to get it drive- and useable, I'm sure lot's other parts will need changing eventually, it's 40 years old after all. So if you happen to find something, have a look please!

Last edited:
The Fiat 128 and Zastava 101 have identical underpinnings. The only difference is that the 128 has a trunklid, while the 101 has a hatch.

The Yugo is a modified 127. The Florida is a Tipo prototype, that fiat rejected and Zastava picked up.

Btw., I used to think the hatch was a Zastava invention but I recently found it was already proposed with the Fiat X1/1 prototype that became the 128:

x1b1v1ab3k.jpg

The Italians didn't pick it up, good thing Zastava did!

- - - Updated - - -

And to come back to the question of compatibility, as an example if I read right the 128 got a brake booster in '74 whilst the '77 101 has none, so I'm not sure how the facelifts relate to each other and I guess there are subtle differences here and there.

The 101 didn't receive the technical upgrades of the fiat 128, because zastava was too cheap to do that. But all parts from any 128 do fit.

Just chucked in 20 bucks via PayPal.

Guess I should since I called dibs on the naming rights back in 2014. ;)

Die Flederscheisse
La Merde en Volant
La Merda Volante

USW

Sorry that I haven't gotten back to you earlier...thank you very much!

...and Flederschei?e got a nice ring to it indeed! :lol:

As soon as I have an hour or two to spare I'll order the next bulk, with me putting in another 50? it should get us nearly everything apart from the tyres. :D:D:D

More parts have been ordered. Next time I'm at the garage I'll have to compare clutch and shocks to see if they're really the right parts.

Here's the updated list:
  • throttle cable linkage
  • brake reservoir hoses - ?16.74 - Bought thanks to Adunaphel!
  • hose clamps for brake reservoir hoses
  • fuel filler tube - ?18.00 - Bought thanks to Nicjasno with a bit of money to spare!
  • inlet and exaust gaskets - ?12.00 - Bought thanks to my girlfriend!
  • manifold to exhaust gasket - ?4.92 - Bought thanks to MWF!
  • carb to manifold gasket
  • camshaftcover gasket - ?7.59
  • oil pan gasket - ?9.92
  • fuel pump gasket - ?1.92
  • lower engine mount - ?25.00
  • clutch kit - ?50.90 - bought thanks to daBoom and Nicjasno!
  • gear selector link - ?9.92
  • Rear bushings
    - Bushings rear control arm - ?38.91 - Bought thanks to public and Adamar!
    - Broken bolt rear a-arm - ?2.49 - Bought thanks to loose_unit!
  • Front shocks - ?20.00
  • Rear shocks - ?65.85 - Bought thanks to Leviathan and loose_unit!
  • Rear shock rubber bushings - ?8.68
  • Timing Belt
    - Belt - ?6.00 - Bought thanks to MXM!
    - Tensioner - ?14.40 - Bought thanks to MWF!
  • Regulator alternator - ?10.00
  • distributor & cap
  • Tyres - ?150.00
  • Paint RAL 1020 - ?23.80 - Bought thanks to Nicjasno and Mitchi!
  • Fuel hoses - ?13.48
  • Fan belt - ?2.00
  • Spark plugs - ?9.96 - Bought thanks to MXM!
  • Air filter - ?7.00 - Bought thanks to narf!
  • Oil 5l - ?25.00
  • Oil filter - ?5.50 - Bought thanks to narf!

About ?200.00 worth of parts left to buy...thank you all!

Donations are still very welcome, every amount counts! :)

If there are problems with the money pool, just PayPal it to zastava.restauration@gmail.com and I'll forward it.

Last edited: