• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

87 Sentra E16S Parts Support. Does it exist?

YF19pilot

Car(s)
2006 Honda Civic Coupe
Now, I know my car isn't the greatest, but I'd like to find at least a bolt on turbo for my car (or at least something that'll give me a boost of at least 15 to 20 hp). It's a 1987 Nissan Sentra 3-door, E16/E16S (carburated), with 5 speed manual transmission.

A turbo would be nice, but I'd like to know if there are parts support beyond just a sporty clutch. I'm not looking to make my car a monster, just something to give the idiots in the civics a run for their money.

Dude forget that.. you're throwing money out of the window.

Plus there's no turbo kits for that, you'd have to make it custom made...

if its carburated dont even bother with a turbo bc you will have to dump quite a bit in it to make it run good. im not too sure but i think that a fwd ca18det could fit in there quite nicely. the ca18det is a great engine, it just got overshadowed by the sr20. ca18det's run pretty cheap for a full engine too. i suggest checking out www.nico.com its a great nissan site with a lot of members that are willing to help you out and a lot of good resources like where to buy an engine

'nawz' ... 20hp is realistic i think. (although I have never worked with NoS before.)

Re: 87 Sentra E16S Parts Support. Does it exist?

YF19pilot said:
Now, I know my car isn't the greatest, but I'd like to find at least a bolt on turbo for my car (or at least something that'll give me a boost of at least 15 to 20 hp). It's a 1987 Nissan Sentra 3-door, E16/E16S (carburated), with 5 speed manual transmission.

A turbo would be nice, but I'd like to know if there are parts support beyond just a sporty clutch. I'm not looking to make my car a monster, just something to give the idiots in the civics a run for their money.

there is no such thing as a bolt on turbo, you always need to do drilling and plumbing to your oilpan, redo your jetting and your timing

it's expensive equiping a non turbo car with a turbo, most of the time is chepaer to put a turbo'ed engine in your car. but if you only want 20hp, go for nitro

bone said:
YF19pilot said:

there is no such thing as a bolt on turbo, you always need to do drilling and plumbing to your oilpan, redo your jetting and your timing

it's expensive equiping a non turbo car with a turbo, most of the time is chepaer to put a turbo'ed engine in your car. but if you only want 20hp, go for nitro
you can easily run 12 lbs of boost on stock timing and you really dont need to drill your oil pan. you should but you dont have to. i hane no idea what jetting is. im assuming it has something to do with vac lines which control the bov and wastegate but thats really easy. just run a t from your intake mani to boost controller, then to the wastegate, then to the bov. its really not as hard as most people think. the only hard part is setting up the fuel delivery.

I kinda want to avoid using nitrous. Though I was able to find some Holly remanufactured carbs. Maybe I should look into custom intake manifolds and equip my car with dual carbs. Unless I can hook up my car with a 4 barrel (currently has a 2 barrel)

YF19pilot said:
I kinda want to avoid using nitrous. Though I was able to find some Holly remanufactured carbs. Maybe I should look into custom intake manifolds and equip my car with dual carbs. Unless I can hook up my car with a 4 barrel (currently has a 2 barrel)

Ask yourself if it's worth the money, and what you could buy later with that money.
I'm not telling you not to do it, but to think about it .

patrick10 said:
bone said:
YF19pilot said:

you can easily run 12 lbs of boost on stock timing and you really dont need to drill your oil pan. you should but you dont have to. i hane no idea what jetting is. im assuming it has something to do with vac lines which control the bov and wastegate but thats really easy. just run a t from your intake mani to boost controller, then to the wastegate, then to the bov. its really not as hard as most people think. the only hard part is setting up the fuel delivery.

jetting = setting fuel/air ratio in carb by changing nozzles/air screw/...

a term used a lot for 2-stroke engines, there's another name for 4-stroke?

ohh i dont know much about turboing a carburated car besides that its hella hard to get to run right.

honestly if i were in your shoes, i would buy another car thats cheap and has good aftermarket support. i myself have been looking into another car so i have done a fair amount of research. im leaning towards a 1g dsm.

they are awd so you get good grip, they are turbo from the factory, the 4g63 is probably the strongest 4 banger ever made, and they are cheap as hell to buy. you can buy one for under 2000 usd which will be cheaper than setting up a turbo on your sentra.

you also get a daily driver so you dont have to worry about down time with the dsm which will happen :lol:

patrick10 said:
ohh i dont know much about turboing a carburated car besides that its hella hard to get to run right.

i only know the stuff i read on the internet

and there's a problem, i don't get how to setup a turbo on an engine with carbs

if you go carb - turbo - engine, it won't work, caus a turbo gets so hot, that when petrol would touch it, it would combust spontaneously, which is way to soon

if you go turbo - carb - engine, it won't work either, caus a turbo creates high pressure, and you need vaccuum for a carb to work

any ideas? :? :?

Maybe I'll just wait untill I can hunt down a rear-wheel drive for a good price. I've been looking into the world of sentra parts for months and figured I'd use this as a last resort. I'm not too concerned with tuning my car, just wouldn't mind having a little extra power under the hood in the meantime. I've heard that superchargers can be a little difficult to hook up to a front wheel drive, and that tuned correctly, turbos increase your gas mileage. But if turbo-carb setups don't work, then maybe I shouldn't bother (at least not with this engine).

Though as much as I'd love to find another car, I think it'll be hard to find one in good condition within my current financial reach. I was barely able to afford my sentra (US$625 + $180 to register) and needed my mom to help me out. Then there was the whole issue with the fly wheel and clutch ($300 for a new starter, flywheel and clutch plate), and the starter might need to be replaced again. Then it cost me about $50 to fix the taillights, and I need to get new tires since one of them fell apart on the interstate. My Sentra is fun, but has other issues besides tunability that I'm more concerned with. Unless someone has a rear-wheel drive wagon or late 80's/early 90's SUV they wanna trade?

YF19pilot said:
and that tuned correctly, turbos increase your gas mileage.
HAHA :lol: so far from the truth its rediculous. with the more air that goes into the engine, the more fuel you need so you dont lean out. if you lean out... boom. why do you think that you upgrade the fuel system when you get a turbo. for my setup i plan on using a 255 lph fuel pump with 440 cc injectors and a safc or greddy e-manage just so i dont lean out.

i can tell you right now to get a new engine or another car because a turbo setup will cost you more than a ca18det with worse results.

if you want rwd, look for a 240. im not just saying that bc i have one but because they are really cheap, have a huge aftermarket support, and just about every nissan engine will fit in there. also they are pretty good handlers.

edit: how much you looking to spend?

another edit: my friend is kinda into carbs i remember him saying something about a blow through carb for turbo

Never force a slow car to go fast. It's just a waste of money.
Instead, start with a car that is already reasonably fast.
Also, never try to modify a poorly running car. Always make the car run well in stock form before you go messing around with it.

If you get a standalone EFI system, turbo engines can get you amazing mileage. There's this one guy with a turbo 240Z that has tuned an economy mode into his EFI system and gets close to 40mpg on the freeway. This is with a 2.8 liter straight 6 turbo engine! He loses some performance running in that econo-mode but he saves fuel on long trips.

Turbo engines can be just as economical as an NA engine or even moreso. It just depends on how you map the fuel across the revband. Fuel isn't delivered at the same rate at all times. You can easily reprogram it with a standalone EFI system. If you decrease boost and run mildly, you might end up with a more efficient engine than a pure NA. Remember that they put turbos on diesel engines to increase its efficiency, not necessarily to increase power.

Patrick, have you ever looked into Megasquirt? The basic parts you need can be had for less than $300. It might be a better option than those piggyback systems you mentioned. If you are going to push a lot of power, the versatility of an MS system is absolutely invaluable. As I stated above, you can have several different "modes" that you can select. Try to look into this option!

NEVER try turboing a carbed car. You can get a good running standalone EFI system for a tenth of the cost of trying to get the carbs to work with a turbo. People used to do that because they had no easier options. Now, there are much better ways to do it.

do you mean standalone ecu instead of efi?

ohh and is megasquirt the one you need to put together? if so, then screw that. the only standalone ecu i would EVER buy would be an aem ems. i dont care about the price because its perfect. people run 600-700 hp on ka24det's with those.

I've heard them called the standalone EFI systems. The ECU would control more than the EFI. I guess either can work . . .

And yes, the Megasquirt system is the one you have to collect individual parts and assemble. For the price, it can't be beat. Of course, you need to have a great deal of knowledge about your EFI system before you go installing one!

Like you said, others are more simple but more expensive. Most people I know go Megasquirt because to them it's a piece of cake to install. Plus, it works as good as more expensive systems. They also buy the wideband O2 sensors so that they can tune their cars in their garage instead of going out to hire a dyno.

I don't know how much power your stock ECU is mapped to handle. For my future L28ET, the stock ECU is not mapped for more than 250hp on stock components. If I want more, I'd have to go standalone. Maybe you'll have no choice but to get one in the future.

I only recommended this because you seem to have a lot of extensive work done on your 240SX. It's also convinient for carb-->EFI conversions.

Z Draci said:
NEVER try turboing a carbed car. You can get a good running standalone EFI system for a tenth of the cost of trying to get the carbs to work with a turbo. People used to do that because they had no easier options. Now, there are much better ways to do it.

there is no better way than twin webers :evil:

The British sidedraft SU carbs will outperform those downdraft Webers any day. With the SU's, there's less turbulence in the airflow so it will ultimately flow better. My SU's are running for two years without an adjustment--only routine cleaning.

There are two ways to turbo carburetted engines--push or pull. The difference is whether the turbo is placed before or after the carbs. The turbo can either act to suck the air/fuel mixutre through the carbs, through the turbo, then into the intake manifold. Or the turbo can put air through the carbs then into the turbo.

It's extremely difficult to have the correct carb setup for this! You may need to even have the carbs machined so that it will work. This is on top of all the custom parts you have to buy for the internals.

Z Draci said:
I only recommended this because you seem to have a lot of extensive work done on your 240SX. It's also convinient for carb-->EFI conversions.
not yet but im thinking of getting an iap turbo kit with probably just 370s, a walbro 255, and an e-manage to get 10 ish psi for now. later on, i want to build the ka to about 15-18 psi which is definitly possible but not on my budget right now.
http://www.import-autoperformance.com/240sxstage1.html