911 and Carrera

Atmikes

Car(s)
Opel Tigra TwinTop 1.8 16V
ok , i have this (stupid?) question that's been in my head for a while now:

When is a porsche 911 a Carrera? (A Porsche owner told me: All 911's are carrera's!)
someone who knows what's the truth?

only the really sporty ones, right now the 911 series, never boxter, cayman or cayenne.

It goes back to 1954 when Hans Herrmann on a Porsche 550 Spyderfinished third in the Carrera Panamericana with a 1,5 l Porsche and stayed close to the two 4,5 l Ferraris.
Since then, all sporty Porsches (Boxter go home!) are called Carrera (which is spanish for Race).

See:

http://www.solitude-memorial.de/15spec/15carrera.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the nice article! (i never knew Porsche did engineering with 8 cylinders in the early days.)

so every carrera is always a 911 (until today), and every 911 is a carrera ( or is it just the more sporty editions like the 4S, GT, RS, ...)

thanks for the nice article! (i never knew Porsche did engineering with 8 cylinders in the early days.)

so every carrera is always a 911 (until today), and every 911 is a carrera ( or is it just the more sporty editions like the 4S, GT, RS, ...)

Nowadays, the Carrera is just the NA base model 911's.

Carrera
Carrera S
GT3
Turbo
GT2

Nowadays, the Carrera is just the NA base model 911's.

Carrera
Carrera S
GT3
Turbo
GT2

so are the cabrio and targa, carrera's as well?
or does carrera just mean it's the coupe?

I JUST WANT THE CAR WITH THE ENGINE IN THE BACK!

so are the cabrio and targa, carrera's as well?
or does carrera just mean it's the coupe?

Those are variations of the existing models. Carrera is just the base model, Carrera S has a better motor making more horsepower. You can get both the Carrera and Carrera S in AWD, but then they're called Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S. All are availible in targa and convert bodystyles. The Turbo is simply that, but is also available in a convertible (or very soon for the 997 gen).

Last edited:

Who's on first and What's on second. I don't know is on third. :lol:

This is exactly how I feel when I'm trying to explain the difference between Land Rovers, Range Rovers, and Land Cruisers.

well a Defender might still be running as well.....has no british electrics :)

But BTT:

I checked Porsche out.......there are the following models available right now

911 Carrera *
911 Carrera Cabrio *
911 Carrera S *
911 Carrera S Cabrio *
911 Targa
911 Targa 4 *
911 Targa 4 S *
911 Carrera 4 *
911 Carrera 4 Cabrio *
911 Carrera 4 S *
911 Carrera 4 S Cabrio *
911 GT3 *
911 GT3 RS *
911 Turbo *
911 Turbo Cabrio
911 Turbo S
911 Turbo S Cabrio (<-- my pick ^^)
911 GT2
Carrera GT
Cayenne
Cayenne S
Cayenne Turbo
Cayenne Turbo S
Cayman
Cayman S
Boxter
Boxter S

* means new 911 997

Last edited by a moderator:
911 Carrera *
911 Carrera Cabrio *
911 Targa
911 Targa 4 *
911 Targa 4 S *

911 Carrera 4 *
911 Carrera 4 Cabrio *
911 Carrera 4 S *
911 Carrera 4 S Cabrio *

i don't understand why they call the convertible the "911 carrera cabrio", but the T-roof, they call the "911 targa". why no carrera there?

I still don't understand it too...

but i know this so far:

A carrera is always a 911
A 911 is not always a carrera

the name carrera originated frome porsche's participation at that particular race. as mentioned before

it seems that all the "normal" 911 are carrera's, the targa and more exotic models like the GT's and turbo's are not called that way

a 911 carrera GT3 RS does not seem to exist

si I guess it's just a name: a Carrera, a GT, a Targa, a Turbo

I think GT is for Gran Tourismo, so it automatically implies its a racy thing, which means "Carrrera GT" is like "orange oranges"

I think I will go and annoy our local Porsche dealer over here and ask him :D