911 and Carrera

From that list one thing is clear, they gave a 10 year old one model name(911) and said, here are some names and numbers, mix and match...

Funny that nobody mentionned the 356 Carrera 2 (last 356, with the 2.0 DOHC B4).

Also the Targa has kept its legendary name, it was the first 911 "cabriolet" until the real Cabriolet was introduced in 1982.

The Carrera word has been punctually used on the 911 (73-74 Carrera RS, 74-76 Carrera 2.7, 76-77 Carrera 3.0), symbolizing the top of the range. Then it has been applied to all the 911 since 84 - the Carrera 3.2 - except the Targa, Speedster, Turbo, GT3 and GT2, as well as on the 87-89 Carrera CS, 964 Carrera RS and 993 Carrera RS.

I just got a call by Porsche :)

The explanation was easy: Every 911, that is not a special one, is a Carrera.

The special ones are GT2, GT3, Turbo, Targa (which goes back to the successes on the Targa Fiorino track - didn?t know that either :) - Porsche will follow it?s tradition naming cars by won races with the Panamera --> Carrera Panamericana <-- Porsche Carrera)

The GT2 and GT3 are classified as "street legal racecars", and the Turbo is called Turbo because....well it has a Turbo and "Porsche 911 Turbo" is a classic term since the first Turbo :)

And I threw in an important fact: the space for names on the engine cover is limited...they would never fit "Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo S Cabriolet" on there - which resulted in a laughter on the other end of the line and he said that would be the best explanation EVER - he noted it down ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice :)

at last, i know a bit more about this carrera stuff.

thanx a lot guys!!!

356 isn't either, but you mentioned it :)

Oups sorry, I thought you mentioned my 3rd paragraph (on 911 only) and said I forgot them, I totally forgot about the rest I wrote. My bad.

i don't understand why they call the convertible the "911 carrera cabrio", but the T-roof, they call the "911 targa". why no carrera there?
They probably realized that it was just too many Carreras. They actually just offer the Targa in AWD now which cuts back on choices but not the confusion that most people face

I JUST WANT THE CAR WITH THE ENGINE IN THE BACK!

:lol:

Would you like your breakfast in America?

Carrera is just the base model... I've only written one sentence and i'm already confused. THANKS PORSCHE.

I checked Porsche out.......there are the following models available right now

911 Carrera *
911 Carrera Cabrio *
911 Carrera S *
911 Carrera S Cabrio *
911 Targa
911 Targa 4 *
911 Targa 4 S *
911 Carrera 4 *
911 Carrera 4 Cabrio *
911 Carrera 4 S *
911 Carrera 4 S Cabrio *
911 GT3 *
911 GT3 RS *
911 Turbo *
911 Turbo Cabrio
911 Turbo S
911 Turbo S Cabrio
911 GT2
Carrera GT
Cayenne
Cayenne S
Cayenne Turbo
Cayenne Turbo S
Cayman
Cayman S
Boxter
Boxter S
... and the really brilliant thing about it is, that Porsche are actually only building 3 Cars (I exclude the Carrera GT). A sportscar with midengine, a sportscar with rearenginge, and a SUV. Though, everybody thinks, they?ve got themselves a different Porsche. How brilliant is that? You don?t see people in Vectras running around "oh, i don?t have a Vectra, I have a Vectra 4S" ... a Vectra is still a Vectra, a Porsche 911, is never just a 911. Porsche is getting so rich of this, I wounder why no other Company is coping this :rolleyes:

... and the really brilliant thing about it is, that Porsche are actually only building 3 Cars (I exclude the Carrera GT). A sportscar with midengine, a sportscar with rearenginge, and a SUV. Though, everybody thinks, they?ve got themselves a different Porsche. How brilliant is that? You don?t see people in Vectras running around "oh, i don?t have a Vectra, I have a Vectra 4S" ... a Vectra is still a Vectra, a Porsche 911, is never just a 911. Porsche is getting so rich of this, I wounder why no other Company is coping this :rolleyes:
Some American cars were a bit like that in the 60's. There were so many different options packages available so you could make your car unique. Just look at the Camaro; there was just the regular Camaro, the RS, SS, and Z28. All basically the same car but with subtle differences (well, apart from the engines). I really wish they would bring that back.

HOLY SH*T :? :blink: :? :shock2:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hah thats nothing. You should see the option list for one of those cars.

Everything is optional and I mean everything the option list alone stretches for pages and pages with a dozen or more packages, individual options that can only be paired with certain packages and some packages include stuff from other packges but the option list doesn't tell you that.

And there is no such thing as a NO COST option for Porsche.

And there is no such thing as a NO COST option for Porsche.
There is, the Clubsport (CS) package (flame retardant bucket seats, roll cage, fire extingiuisher, racing harness'++) for the GT3 is a no-cost option. Interestingly the CS badge has always been a little Stuttgart-giftwrap for the enthusiasts, rememer the 968 CS? That was ?7'000 cheaper than the standard model 968. Today the CS' secondhand value is slightly higher than for the standard 968...

well a Defender might still be running as well.....has no british electrics :)

But BTT:

I checked Porsche out.......there are the following models available right now

911 Carrera *
911 Carrera Cabrio *
911 Carrera S *
911 Carrera S Cabrio *
911 Targa
911 Targa 4 *
911 Targa 4 S *
911 Carrera 4 *
911 Carrera 4 Cabrio *
911 Carrera 4 S *
911 Carrera 4 S Cabrio *
911 GT3 *
911 GT3 RS *
911 Turbo *
911 Turbo Cabrio
911 Turbo S
911 Turbo S Cabrio (<-- my pick ^^)
911 GT2
Carrera GT
Cayenne
Cayenne S
Cayenne Turbo
Cayenne Turbo S
Cayman
Cayman S
Boxter
Boxter S

* means new 911 997

So Porsche makes 15 cars? Who knew? :lol: :lol:

It was more mid/late 80s when you could get a 930-bodied Carrera. The Carrera was the replacement for the SC. After this the only naturally aspirated models that had a wide Turbo body was the 964 Anniversary "30 jahre 911", 964 Carrera RS 3,8 and the 997 GT3 RS.

So at that time, there was a regular 911 just badged as "911" and the Carrera was the widebody? I remember back then asking my brother, who was a mechanic on Porsches why it was called the Carrera, and he said cos it had the Turbo flared guards.