No 56k: 919

How you likin' the corbin? I hear some complaints that they are quite firm.

It is, in fact, very firm. I am still undecided as to whether I like it or not.

If nothing else, I'll keep it long enough to save up and arrange for a Russell or Sargent rebuild of my original seat then sell it for what I have in it.

It's still better than the stripper-spec Lycra that was covering the seat before :p

Yeah, you have to wonder what the previous owner was thinking... or if he was thinking.

Nah, I don't think your "previous owner" and "think" should ever be in the same sentence. But yeah, +1 on the Corbin seat review.

Ran it around some 80 miles today... not all that happy with the Corbin. True, butt doesn't start getting numb after a while, but it transmits more buzz from the bike, it's quite hard and therefore transmits more hammering from the pavement and worst of all it makes it more difficult to hang off. I'm going to give it a bit longer to see if it improves at all.

Does it need to be broken in?

I sat on a 16-year old V-max that had a corbin installed on it back at the dealership when it was new. It was nice and soft.

But still I don't think that Spectre will enjoy the "dished" style of the seat. Which makes it difficult for riders to "hang off" the bike when cornering aggressively.

I sat on a 16-year old V-max that had a corbin installed on it back at the dealership when it was new. It was nice and soft.

But still I don't think that Spectre will enjoy the "dished" style of the seat. Which makes it difficult for riders to "hang off" the bike when cornering aggressively.

I'm going to take it for a 120 mile run here in a bit and see what I think afterwards. I suspect I'll find that the seat is great for droning along the superslab, not so great for most of my urban work.

The Givi case guards/crash bars came in. Pics taken before cleaning up all the greasy prints from installing the thing.

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

Nice, I think I might get some of those instead of frame sliders for my bike. I guess they'd be a nice mounting platform for a set of running lights, or in your case, a gopro.

The seat looks great, shame it's not comfy.

Ran into a problem with the Givi bars. There's two little metal couplers or dowels that hold the two halves aligned, one in front and one in rear. The front one was loose, despite proper torquing and the resulting racket sounded like the damn engine had a high RPM rod knock. Not good. Here's the little dowel/coupler in question:

IMG_0086.JPG

It's the gray bevelled piece between the two gray horizontal pipes. Sorry about the focus but I couldn't get a better shot. Anyway, the two bars weren't coming together closely enough to hold the dowel in place and it was just rattling back and forth. Well, the bars are held together by a bolt that passes through two flanges that are held apart by a spacer.

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

That spacer turned out to be too long for this install, so a quick pass with a die grinder, some paint and a reinstall solved the problem quickly. No more rattle.

IMG_0089.JPG

While I was at it this weekend, I installed this signal trigger - the 919 has enough ferrous metal to trip the majority of traffic signals, but it seems to be marginal on some others. I bought the 'new' Green Light Trigger HP and fitted it to the left crash bar. The zip tie is temporary until the provided structural adhesive cures.

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

You can get one of these for $30 from the manufacturer or between $20-30 from your local Tucker-Rocky affiliated shop. The manufacturer claims a 95% success rate at tripping light sensor loops; they also give a fairly interesting argument as to why it's better than just slapping cheap neodymium magnets on your bike (which, it must be said, also do work, but I have found they don't always work real well.)

Last edited:
The seat looks great, shame it's not comfy.

I can confirm that the corbin looks a hell of a lot better than it feels. The main problem is that the foam is damn near rock hard, and on a bike with an engine treated as a stressed member, that is a very bad thing. The old seat used to crush my gentlemen's area against the tank, which sucked. The corbin has fixed that but instead it makes your bum buzz like crazy. It is better, but it is only say, 4/10 over the stock seats rating of 2/10.

Here's some better pics of it with the Givi bars, Green Light Trigger, and one of my remaining FG vinyls.

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

Nearly looks like it was never abused/hacked/neglected/crashed at all! :lol:

Like CJ and TomCat said, it's a shame about the seat. It does look really good.

Yeah, I've had Corbins before, and they've been firm, but this one's ridiculous. I'm surprised and disappointed. Think I might try Sargent next time.

You put any thought to having an upholsterer pull that Corbin apart and put some softer foam in? Or will you just go back to the stock seat?

Sadly, the Corbin cover is riveted on with giant rivets.

Then use a giant drill bit. You're such a defeatist. :p

The problem isn't getting the rivets out, it's that nobody seems to have the replacement rivets or a means to install them.