No 56k: 919

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Behold my 'new' 2002 Honda 919, aka the CB900F - aka the Hornet 900.

IMG_8580.JPG

IMG_8581.JPG

IMG_8571.JPG

IMG_8573.JPG

IMG_8576.JPG

IMG_8575.JPG

Rescued from a college student/'alcohol enthusiast' over in Fort Worth for $1600. Been a slightly wracking week, working to get everything lined up.

Proof and better pictures in the morning.

Last edited:
I'm usually not the biggest fan of that type of bikes but that looks really nice!

Congrats! ;)

Nice! Looks pretty good.

Crazyjeeper delivery service again? :p

Nice! I can't wait to watch the transformation.

Nice! Looks pretty good.

Crazyjeeper delivery service again? :p

Of course. We offer the best rates in the Dallas area and will accommodate odd scheduling including runs that end at 2am. :p

Heh. He's seen my other bikes - they have square or squarish headlights. :p

Here are the proof pics, among others.

IMG_8582.jpg

IMG_8584.jpg

IMG_8585.JPG

IMG_8588.JPG

IMG_8589.JPG

IMG_8597.jpg

IMG_8594.JPG

The local cat population appears to have discovered the 919.
IMG_8593.JPG

Sparta? Not Hondaaaaaa?

Slight update: The PO of the 919 reamed out the mufflers so it'd sound better. It doesn't, so I got in some unmolested stock mufflers this week to quiet it down. I also got LED signal/rearview mirrors of the same style as on my 700, and ordered in a sequential integrated LED stoplamp/turnsignal unit for out back. I received my first shipment of parts from Honda, mostly trim bits and missing screws, that sort of thing. I also installed a new battery, and located some used stock control levers to replace the terrible aftermarket ones currently installed.

New engine covers and seals are coming. This thing should be back in service pretty soon; last item should be new tires, which I think will be Michelin Pilot Road 2's.

Last edited:
For a second there I thought you went and got some sort of Porsche. It looks good, but can the gas tank be fixed or do you need to find a replacement?

A replacement one is probably going to be cheaper than fixing the one I have, sadly.

Replaced the de-baffled stock pipes with intact stock pipes.

Before:

After:

My ears rejoice. :D More importantly, it means I can ride home at 2am without annoying the neighbors or summoning police from the nearby station.

More before and after. Before:
IMG_8594.JPG

IMG_8596.JPG

IMG_8595.JPG

After:
IMG_8717.jpg

IMG_8719.jpg

IMG_8718.jpg

Last edited:
LED signal mirrors and the integrated sequential taillight are here and installation will take place this weekend. Also, the rear tire came in (Avon Storm ST) as did some other minor bits. It does need new front brake pads, which I will order this weekend.

I managed to locate some good front forks off an 05 919; unlike the 02 and 03 models, the 04-07 919s have fully adjustable front and rear suspension. For less than the cost of rebuilding my leaky front forks, I will be able to get the upgrade I wanted. :D Those should be here late next week.

Following that, I'll order in some SW-Motech crash bars and a matching SW-Motech center stand. Alas, the 919 centerstand was optional, almost nobody bought it, and the Honda one actually costs more than the Motech unit. The Motech one was actually engineered to be installed or removed without having to dismount the exhaust and it has better cornering clearance. The Motech crash bars have better clearance over the competing Givi units and won't result in cracked engine mounts like some of the traditional sliders do. I'm also probably going to be swapping out the 02 alternator cover for the black one off the late 919s - it's actually cheaper and I think it looks better.

Started last night with this:
IMG_8765.jpg

Ended with this:
IMG_8805.JPG

Back end is reassembled and good to go with the Clear Alternatives taillight, though the relay cycles a bit too fast to let the full 'wave' of the turn signal go across.

2005 forks and Motech centerstand get here in the AM, I pick up the new brake pads from the dealer on my runs tomorrow, new handlebars go on with the forks once I get back. Did all the wiring modifications over the past few days - it took a while! That will have most of the major stuff done, then it can be ridden again.

Installed the SW-Motech center stand:
IMG_8852_001.JPG

Then tore down most of the front end to swap out the old leaky forks and hung the bike from the 'skycrane':

IMG_8858_001.jpg

IMG_8859_001.jpg

IMG_8869.JPG

Unlike the 02-03 front forks, the 04-07 forks are adjustable.
IMG_8872.JPG

Found this mess when I took the brake calipers off to swap them.
IMG_8864.JPG

IMG_8865.JPG

IMG_8866.JPG

Not only had the previous owner let the fork seal leak go so long it had become a fountain that dripped down onto the caliper, he'd also greased the caliper (and pads) with chassis grease to keep it from squeaking. Spent several hours cleaning that mess up. Installed new Honda pads.

Got it reassembled with the new handlebars, mirrors and some other bits. Still more to do but it's rideable again.
IMG_8887.jpg

IMG_8883.JPG

IMG_8879.JPG

IMG_8892.JPG

IMG_8890.JPG

Last edited: