944 vs. 300zx

josh.

so my buddy thinks that the 300zx is a better car then the 944, and thus he is set on buying one for his first car, i think that he is better off to spend his money on a 944 what do you think is the better car?

Well, considering that most of the 944 owners on this board actually have to drive something else because their 944s are broken.... :p

Also, which 300ZX are you proposing to compare? There are two generations.

If your friend wants to be in a cloud of smoke on the side of the freeway all of the time, then by all means, get an old used Porsche.

Does he love to do sweet tight dorifto and/or wear a shirt with a popped collar?

I'd go 944 if he knows anything about cars... seeing as he's going to have to put it all to good use.

Yeah... I wouldn't go for either of them as a first car. Porsche makes a great spec racing car, because all race cars need a lot of work, and the 300ZX, well, I just wouldn't have one.

When I am king I will proclaim everyone must own a pile of shit for their first car. Said pile of shit will have no power, traction, brakes, reliable clutch operation, and can't exceed 70mph. It won't exceed 70mph not because of a limiter, just the fact the car lacks the power to over come the aerodynamics and an inability to get out of 3rd gear. :D

Last edited:
A 944 or a 300ZX (Z32 I assume) for a first car? Wow, I almost wouldn't want to drive. Both are a lot of fun (until you have to work on/buy parts for one of them.) Both, imho, are horrible first cars. Get something cheap to run and insure for a first car. Don't get something nice, you will wreck it.

Didn't we just have a thread like this?

Well, considering that most of the 944 owners on this board actually have to drive something else because their 944s are broken.... :p

Blatant lies!

It's my only car and a daily driver for 5 years, and I have to listed to a Jag-fanatic about how unreliable it is? :lol:

My brother actually had a 944 for a first car, it was amazingly reliable.. until the head cracked :lol:

A 944 is a traditional sports car, with a modicum of luxuries (depending on year).
A 300ZX is a luxury sports car.

Both have their pros and cons, depending on what the person who drives or owns it, wants out of it.

with similar amount of money he could get BMW 530i/540i'96..

Both are a very bad idea for a first car as everyone said. Though I have to admit that my neighbour had the 300zx and for me that is one of the best looking cars ever. But he had the twinturbo one, Id suggest for a first car, cost-wise, Id go for the NA versions n both cases if possible.

A friend of mine has a 944. Actually it's a 951 (the Turbo). Although he uses it stricktly as a track car, and he doesn't go very often - he is constantly having trouble with it.
A variety of problems and most of them not even related to the "sporty" driving style he has.

A non-turbo 300zx might be the better option, as it would be cheaper to maintain. But it will still break down...

It's a pretty strange choice.
Either of those cars suck without a turbo so I'm guessing his talking about turbo variants. Also is he talking Z31 or Z32 because a Z31 was a pile of garbage and not sporty at all. Both cars are pretty fast and both are pretty fun to drive, I would say a 944T if you want a more focused sports car and can afford maintenance. Z32T if you want a more of a GT cruiser with decent power and again can afford maintenance :)

I think both cars are bad ideas for a first car like others have said, they are just too reliable.

Get an RX7 ;)