96 Vette converted to electric by a moron....

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
engadget said:
11x0630n781dvsa.jpg

A supercharged Chevrolet Corvette may have been all the hotness back in 1996, but times and tastes change and now people are all about the electric boogaloo. Today we get to witness one modern man's transition into this brave new world, a Wayne Bickley from California, who has gutted his crow-black '96 Corvette and replaced the messy internal combustion setup with a set of 18 XS Power XP1000 batteries, a DC electric motor, and his own clutchless six-speed transmission. The end result doesn't really look much different, but its 20-mile "spirited driving" range and 85mph top speed will surely feel different and it does also sound very much like something from the the future. Check out this modernized Chevy on video after the break.
[video=youtube;hYCu66M-tJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYCu66M-tJM&feature=player_embedded[/video]
Source

It's not that the car is all that great or rare or anything of the sort, but converting a Vette to an 85mph top speed is wrong and should be punished.

Meh, most Corvettes are driven gingerly and never taken beyond the speed limit anyway. Good on this guy for having the guts to experiment.

It's not that the car is all that great or rare or anything of the sort, but converting a Vette to an 85mph top speed is wrong and should be punished.

It's the 20 mile range that gets me.

Although its a shame to ruin the greatest powerplant in the history of man (edit: DONT SAY A WORD), i love battery powered electric cars, and this guy actually made a working project (for homemade, a 20 mile minimum range isnt bad at all, see top gear for how bad it can be messed up).

Well done!

Last edited:
The KBB recommended private seller price for a used C4 is a mostly new pack of cigarettes. The fact he put an electric motor in isn't a big deal.

The KBB recommended private seller price for a used C4 is a mostly new pack of cigarettes. The fact he put an electric motor in isn't a big deal.

It's same for a Miata but it would still be wrong to shove a shitty electric motor into it.

Some guy made a cool project car. I don't see why it matters that he put it into a corvette. There were at least 21,000 built. So it certainly isn't rare. Other then the poor storage medium, there isn't anything wrong with electric powered cars.

It's same for a Miata but it would still be wrong to shove a shitty electric motor into it.
Would it be? I bet the shitty electric motor would have better torque than the 1.6 does.

It would be called an eLise, wouldn't it. *marketingfacepalm*