99 grand am gt, slippage?

VR6

Car(s)
04 Sentra Spec-V
When I really put my foot down in second gear the car accelerates very oddly, say im doing 3000 rpm ill floor it, it will jump up to 3500 hold about there and still accelerate then when the speed matches the 3500 revs it will jump up to 4000 and repeat, it will do this all the way up to 6000 (redline) but only in second gear. Automatic transmission aswell.

I was gonna say clutch slipping...but then I saw you have an automatic...hmm...

I'm clueless :(

God is punishing you for owning an automatic.

change the tranny fluid first.

how many miles on the odometer? and what type of driving (city v. highway) the tranny might need rebuilt. but try changing the fluid first.

its got 191k on the odo, mainly city driving (it was my grandpas before our family recived it and he didnt exactly drive agressivly) I'll got get it a fluid change and report back asap.

are you just looking at the tach, or can you hear the engine doing this?

if the engine sounds like it's revving smooth then you have a bad tach, if the engine is matching the tach, then the tranny is bad. try flushing the tranny and replacing the fluid.

191k on a grand am with a autotragic tranny = time to rebuild the transmission.

a fluid change will probably help some, but that is a lot of miles on a cheap transmission. :(

Yes, the tach is fine.

sandor_ said:
191k on a grand am with a autotragic tranny = time to rebuild the transmission.

a fluid change will probably help some, but that is a lot of miles on a cheap transmission. :(
it's a whole bunch of a miles for a gm product so your probably right, I got the fluid changed and it still does that, I guess my sister is just goin run it till it dies completly. well it's not my car :p