Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
Some photos of the 991 GT3 has shown up:

19571495411873329530.jpg

1919249730337320318.jpg

18813099101449977624.jpg

For the first time you can now have a PDK-transmission in a GT-model 911:
588672948754010262.jpg

Edit: Piston Heads has more details about it:
- Using a development of the 3,8-liter F6 from the Carrera S with 475 hp @ 8200 rpm, and 9000 rpm redline
- PDK, a tweaked and faster version
- 4-wheel steering
- lighter and stiffer

Edit 2: Porsche has their usual web special up for it...

Last edited:
Four-wheel steering on a GT3? Okay.
I'm curious what the NS-laptime will be.

It does look nice, and being lighter is always good news. I find it sad though that the won't be a manual. I mean I can understand the reasons for the PDK, but please give people the option to go manual.

It does look nice, and being lighter is always good news. I find it sad though that the won't be a manual. I mean I can understand the reasons for the PDK, but please give people the option to go manual.

There's a rumor that the RS version will have a 6 (7?) speed manual as option. ;)

ITT: Porsche trying hard to win back my heart. But it's still too much of an old doctor's car.

A shame really, that looks amazing and it will no doubt drive and feel just as amazing.

Great video, a lot of information, very specific. I get the feeling he has a good judgement of what makes a GT3, which is reassuring. Also, I've noticed that the shift direction on the stick is now the correct way 'round, like it is on racecar sequential 'boxes. This wasn't the case with previous PDKs.

Last edited:

Great video, a lot of information, very specific. I get the feeling he has a good judgement of what makes a GT3, which is reassuring. Also, I've noticed that the shift direction on the stick is now the correct way 'round, like it is on racecar sequential 'boxes. This wasn't the case with previous PDKs.

Aaaaaaand dudes like him is why Porsche is cooler than Ferrari.
If this is the GT3, the next GT2 is going to be a lot of bad German stereotypes.

Edit: Piston Heads has more details about it:
- Using a development of the 3,8-liter F6 from the Carrera S with 475 hp @ 8200 rpm, and 9000 rpm redline
- PDK, a tweaked and faster version
- 4-wheel steering
- lighter and stiffer

That's as much power as the 996 GT2, but in a lighter chassis. Jeebus.

Also, does this mean 500hp and sub-3000 lbs for the GT3 RS? :eek:

The RS doesn't always mean more power, and it's unlikely to be that much lighter than the GT3 itself. Based on the 997, I'd expect 475-500hp and 3050 to 3100 pounds for the RS.

I am slightly surprized that this is PDK only, especially as they went to the trouble of designing the 7-speed manual, based on the PDK's gear cluster for the 991 already. But as Andreas Preuninger says, it's integral to the car's character, and I have noticed a lot of those who regularly tracks GT3's have been questioning why Porsche hasn't offered a PDK in their most track focused cars yet. That aside the lack of PDK in the GT-cars has most likely also held them back in the important number game of one-up-manship. That said, they could still have offered a manual.

It's not odd that Preuninger has such a good idea of what a GT3 should be, he has after all led the development of all 911 GT-cars at Porsche since the 996 GT3 in 1999, so I guess he knows what the customers want and expect from it.

There's some whining over the loss of the Mezger engine on PistonHeads. To be honest I don't understand why, this new engine is equally brimmed with internals made from exotic materials, it also gets DFI and it's 25 kilos lighter than the old Mezger unit, basically cancelling out the relative weight gain from the PDK-transmission. So in that respect they have "moved" about 25 kilos from behind the rear axle line, to in front of it in stead. Some says the Carrera S unit this is based on is a development of the same engine as the original Boxster and 996 Carreras, that's not true. The DFI-engine (introduced with the 997 mid-life-update in 2008) is a brand new design from scratch, the block design has more in common with the "Mezger" unit, but it's lighter. For this GT3 they have also given it a true dry sump, just like the old one.

They have also completely revised the electronic power steering to offer the same level of feel as the old rack in the 997. The rest of the weight gain of the 991 GT3 relative to the 997 GT3 is that the 991 is based on the more rigid Carrera 4 body shell, while the 997 was based on the standard Carrera's, as well as the 4-wheel steering. Furthermore it's also interesting to note that Porsche offers this with Dunlop Sport Maxx tires, they used to have Michelin Pilot Sport Cup

There's some whining over the loss of the Mezger engine on PistonHeads. To be honest I don't understand why, this new engine is equally brimmed with internals made from exotic materials, it also gets DFI and it's 25 kilos lighter than the old Mezger unit, basically cancelling out the relative weight gain from the PDK-transmission. So in that respect they have "moved" about 25 kilos from behind the rear axle line, to in front of it in stead. Some says the Carrera S unit this is based on is a development of the same engine as the original Boxster and 996 Carreras, that's not true. The DFI-engine (introduced with the 997 mid-life-update in 2008) is a brand new design from scratch, the block design has more in common with the "Mezger" unit, but it's lighter. For this GT3 they have also given it a true dry sump, just like the old one.

And they're wrong to whine anyway, the Mezger is being thoroughly outclassed on the racing scene ever since Ferrari started racing the 458 in GTE with a DFI engine and have been ANNIHILATING everyone else since then in terms of fuel efficiency, to the point where the ACO had to step in and reduce the 458's fuel tank size to cancel out some of its fuel efficiency advantage.

I'm gonna need a new avatar now. Had this one since the 997.2 GT3 was released...

And they're wrong to whine anyway, the Mezger is being thoroughly outclassed on the racing scene ever since Ferrari started racing the 458 in GTE with a DFI engine and have been ANNIHILATING everyone else since then in terms of fuel efficiency, to the point where the ACO had to step in and reduce the 458's fuel tank size to cancel out some of its fuel efficiency advantage.
Yes it's been obvious for a while that the Porsche F6 granddad needed to be retired. It's an old engine, originally and purposely designed to be turbocharged. It first showed up in the 962, and lived on in the GT1, then it had it's turbos removed and went into the GT3 where it saw lot's of success in the 996 GT3 Cup, R, RS and RSR models, as well as with the 997s. Then it was re-turbocharged for the 996 Turbo and GT2, similarly with the 997s (Turbo, GT2 and GT2 RS), except for the 2009 face lift of the 997 Turbo and later Turbo S, which was based on the new 3,8-liter DFI engine originating from the 997.2 Carrera.

That said, we don't know what engine the 991 GT3 RSR is running, the 991 Cup uses the old Mezger, but I suppose they will have to use the new DFI engine for the RSR due to homologation, right? As the old Mezger is not to be found in any Production 911s as of today...

Last edited:
I'm sure it'll be a brilliant car and I know the PDK is fantastic... But... Ugh. But no manual transmission :(
Agreed. I don't care if PDK is an option alongside a possible manual, but no manual at all is quite disheartening