A Forum Star In A Reasonably Priced Car [Suzuki Swift, flying start]

Here you go. This is the video for the 137.291 time. I do not like how the GT5 replay theater cuts off the first few seconds of the lap and the last second of the lap. I wish it let you control the replay (Fast forward/rewind) so that I can show the starting position, different camera angles, ect... Because the game cuts the replay short, it looks like I ran a 136.9xx.

Also, sorry for the crappy quality and no sound. This camera was not made to make movies. :p

[video=youtube;i6mQn-6ke5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6mQn-6ke5k[/video]

Here you go. This is the video for the 137.291 time. I do not like how the GT5 replay theater cuts off the first few seconds of the lap and the last second of the lap. I wish it let you control the replay (Fast forward/rewind) so that I can show the starting position, different camera angles, ect... Because the game cuts the replay short, it looks like I ran a 136.9xx.

Also, sorry for the crappy quality and no sound. This camera was not made to make movies. :p

[video=youtube;i6mQn-6ke5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6mQn-6ke5k[/video]

That lap looks good to me... and it didn't get invalidated so the game doesn't consider it a cut corner.

I take a much wider line into the first and 2nd to last corners, I'm half tempted to give it a try with your lines.

How are you launching? I'm only asking because I can hit 62 in the mid-high 8s. If you get a better launch you might be the first into the 1:36s.

I launched it full throttle from red-line. I tried different launches to control wheel spin but the full throttle launch was the quickest for me. I wish they made a force feedback pedal so that I could feel the limit of grip. Launching a car seems easier in real life than in GT5, so most cars I launch from full throttle and extremely powerful cars I launch from second or even third gear at full throttle to reduce wheel spin. (I'm looking at you Toyota 88C race car)

I also was trying a wider line on the second to last corner but I would usually end up getting the car too sideways after locking the brakes and then going into the grass. With the line I used in the video, I can brake later as the car is more straight and the giant X is an easy point of reference to point the car.

I tried a couple laps to tighten my line at Chicago (As you can see in my replay, I took it very wide), and just now I was able to shave .218 seconds off my time at the checkpoint right before Hammerhead, but then I spun out after locking up my brakes. I took a sleep aid and its just now kicking in. I would like to do some more laps before going to bed but I think my lap times right now will only get longer and longer. :lol: Tonight is my last night at work before I take a week long vacation, so I will have plenty of time to improve my time. My goal is to try and get to 1:37.0XX. I think 136 is impossible, unless I am able to get the car to 62 in under 9 seconds like Roundhead.

What RPM do you launch at Roundhead?

I want a lesson from Tiff like those lucky people on Fifth Gear received.

EDIT: Also, for the next Forum Star chellenge I vote for the MX5 or the RX8! :D

Last edited:
I wish they made a force feedback pedal so that I could feel the limit of grip.

Good lap but, what on earth are you expecting to feel in the throttle? The throttle is about as disconnected from the wheels as it is possible to get.

Long as the lap is still valid, I think it's fine if you accidently run wide on the second last corner. I think I might have had a wheel or two off on my lap. Long as you don't hit the invisable wall tho.

Looks like I've got another lap time to beat. I'll get a picture you might want to use on the first post Aston that should show people where to line up the start from the cockpit view.

Work? I've just recently finished my current project and I'm waiting to find out where my next project is, so I'm effectively "on vacation" too. I'm gonna give that TG track another burl tomorrow. :)

I launch at redline, bounce off the rev limiter a few times, then after the initial wheel spin, lift off briefly and let the revs drop down to about 5000 and then hammer it down again then change at 34mph just before you hit the limiter. Hit the limiter and you're screwed. I honestly can't tell you when I lift off, I just kinda feel it. It sounds like the wheels are still slipping but just starting to bite.

You said in an earlier post that the cars in GT5 are harder to launch than in real life, and in most cases I reckon you're right. The accelerator can feel so sloppy on most cars and there's no feedback. But I have to admit that launching my GT5 RX-7 and my real world RX-7 with similar HP is uncannily similar... but other than that the handling feels way off. I've never driven an FD3S with stock suspension/wheels/tyres, so maybe that's the difference.

Good luck with your endeavors into the 1:36s :)

I'll try your lines tomorrow and see how I go.

Work? I've just recently finished my current project and I'm waiting to find out where my next project is, so I'm effectively "on vacation" too. I'm gonna give that TG track another burl tomorrow. :)

I launch at redline, bounce off the rev limiter a few times, then after the initial wheel spin, lift off briefly and let the revs drop down to about 5000 and then hammer it down again then change at 34mph just before you hit the limiter. Hit the limiter and you're screwed. I honestly can't tell you when I lift off, I just kinda feel it. It sounds like the wheels are still slipping but just starting to bite.

You said in an earlier post that the cars in GT5 are harder to launch than in real life, and in most cases I reckon you're right. The accelerator can feel so sloppy on most cars and there's no feedback. But I have to admit that launching my GT5 RX-7 and my real world RX-7 with similar HP is uncannily similar... but other than that the handling feels way off. I've never driven an FD3S with stock suspension/wheels/tyres, so maybe that's the difference.

Good luck with your endeavors into the 1:36s :)

I'll try your lines tomorrow and see how I go.

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times. What is "accelerator feedback?" Since when does the accelerator in a real car give any feedback in regard to what the wheels are doing? I've never noticed it. There is certainly a lot of feedback you get in a car that the game can't replicate, I just don't think it comes through the accelerator pedal. Hell, many cars (like my own) are drive by wire....

Don't assume that you are necessarily faster using a wheel instead of a pad! I had a G25 about two years ago and spend nearly two weeks trying to beat my times using the keyboard (!) and I didn't manage to do so. It may very well be that I am completely useless with a wheel (not in real life though :D) but unless you are pretty talented there is no need to think that a wheel would decrease your laptimes in general.
I will put some effort into it and try again in the following days, maybe I can get the times of our fastest guys here using the pad. I think there is not necessarily a difference between pedals and the analog sticks of the pad regarding the control of throttle and brake or steering. And I will try to bring you the proof :)

I think everyone who understands the fundamentals of driving (understeer, oversteer, load, weight transfer) is potentially faster using a wheel over a pad or keyboard. No disrespect Darkraven, but I believe you have to adapt to the wheel and change your driving style. I first transferred from keyboard to wheel playing Motor City Online 10-11 years ago. At first I thought wheels were a scam and it took me weeks to beat my old times. But after I did, I started destroying them. Unlike a keyboard, the throttle and brakes on a wheel are not binary controls - they are not either 100% on or 100% off.

If you feel the progressiveness of the brake and throttle with a pad then you should definitely spend a bit more time with a wheel. When I played GT4 with a pad it felt there were maybe 2-3 positions of throttle/brake position. With a wheel it feels double that, at least.

You're almost in the 1:37s with a pad... I reckon you'd be a demon once you acclimated to a wheel.

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times. What is "accelerator feedback?" Since when does the accelerator in a real car give any feedback in regard to what the wheels are doing? I've never noticed it. There is certainly a lot of feedback you get in a car that the game can't replicate, I just don't think it comes through the accelerator pedal. Hell, many cars (like my own) are drive by wire....

Fair question. Different cars have a different amount of pedal throw. When you have a static throw, such as my G25 pedals, using different car data for input, then the throttle can feel sloppy or tight.

I agree with you though - most of the "feel" doesn't come from feel at all. It comes from the sound you interpret.

Fair question. Different cars have a different amount of pedal throw. When you have a static throw, such as my G25 pedals, using different car data for input, then the throttle can feel sloppy or tight.

I agree with you though - most of the "feel" doesn't come from feel at all. It comes from the sound you interpret.

That makes sense. It's also true for the steering - my wheel only goes 90 degrees in each direction so all cars feel like go-karts...

Good lap but, what on earth are you expecting to feel in the throttle? The throttle is about as disconnected from the wheels as it is possible to get.

In a real car I can feel the vibrations through the seats. I figured that getting a full force feedback seat that moves and everything would be a lot more expensive. I figured a force feedback throttle (One that vibrates) would be simpler method that may provide feedback when accelerating. Accelerating from a dead stop in a straight line in GT5 there is no feedback through the wheel so I figured something would be better than nothing. It would be cool if the game at least sent feedback for torque steer to the wheel for high powered FWD cars.

I guess force feedback is the wrong word really, something more like a rumble pack from the N64 days.

Last edited:
The link should work now. I just zipped up the entire replay folder, so hopefully that works. There is easily more time in there to lose, but it's hard for me atm since my arm is just out of a cast so I can't be as aggressive as I would like.

Last edited:
GT5Lap.jpg

DSC06185.jpg

Theres the jist of it. Lap starts probably about a foot infront of this spot.

I have been starting a little closer. I pull up to where all of the right wiper covers the start/finish line and the end of the yellow line is below the mph/kph when on the bumper cam.

Maybe that is why I can't hit 62 in under 9 seconds.

Last edited: