A Forum Star In A Reasonably Priced Car [Suzuki Swift, flying start]

Seems i'm the Richard Whiteley of the forum.

When I first tried, I was 4 seconds behind everyone, I have trouble with first corner.

Does anyone know how to save the replays to a thumb drive? Prologue would let you save it to a thumb drive to copy to a computer, but they are not showing up under the Saved Data Utility for GT5.

Yeah it doesn't let us share replays. Did you use pad?

Last edited:
When I first tried, I was 4 seconds behind everyone, I have trouble with first corner.

Yeah it doesn't let us share replays. Did you use pad?

I use a DFGT wheel. This is actually my second one. The first one the motor burned out and was no longer giving any force feedback. Logitech replaced it under warranty but they actually ended up sending me 2 wheels by mistake. A replacement DFGT and the cheaper Driving Force Pro. I ended up giving the DFP to my cousin as the steering wheel on it is tiny, I felt like I was driving a clown car or something when using it.

Finally nailed Chicago but then in my excitement I braked a split second too late into Hammerhead, and only a quick Scandinavian flick saved me from barreling into the cones. I love how I can get the Swift's rear end to come out when I lock up the brakes like as if I used the hand brake. I bet this car is faster without abs as it gets rid of this cars under-steer.

LivingRoomSecCam20101205-103512.jpg

controller.

001-66.jpg

Last edited:
this is making want to go out and buy that game... gerr spending more $ lol

It is worth the money though. I even bought a PS3 just for that game since I usually use my PC for gaming :)

It is worth the money though. I even bought a PS3 just for that game since I usually use my PC for gaming :)

Same here. :lol: I dusted off my PS3 after many, many months for GT5.

After starting off in the 1:42's, I managed a 1:38.972 which I'm pretty pleased with. *Goes to join Loz at the bottom of the table.

Wheel and paddles for now, I'll post up times with my H-shifter when it arrives.

Got home from work this morning and decided to do a few quick laps before heading to the market. I started using the handbrake around the tighter turns too see if it helps and apparently it does.

LivingRoomSecCam20101206-095946.jpg

Now, I pull up until I can no longer see the yellow middle line over my dashboard. I used a replay to try and get as close to the position of the car in the OP as possible. I do not know if I am too far away or not, the clock starts almost immedialty after getting on the gas, maybe a tenth of a second or so delay. Aston Martin, could you provide a cockpit shot of the starting area so that it is easier to line up? I don't want to be gaining an unfair advantage, seeing as how the close the top three times are a tenth of a second is a lot.

It would be great if we could find a way to share replays though. Is there a way to share replays over the PSN, by sharing our usernames or something?

EDIT: Good news, just did some quick googling and came across this

Now, Yamauchi revealed that the save game data created by the racing title, which is currently protected against copying, would be freed by the release of another patch later this month.

Besides that, he also talked about the possibility of sharing replays, which, sadly, isn't possible, as the files are too big to be shared through regular data connections.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Gran...ch-In-Order-to-Back-Up-Save-Data-170366.shtml

Hopfully that includes replays as well.

Last edited:
Aston Martin, could you provide a cockpit shot of the starting area so that it is easier to line up? I don't want to be gaining an unfair advantage, seeing as how the close the top three times are a tenth of a second is a lot.

The best way to do it, is go to the camera with just the speedo. And stop when the yellow line of the track hits the bottom of the MPH number. This is where the timer starts.

This isn't great, but you should get the idea.

http://img59.imageshack.**/img59/2623/tg60.jpg

The best way to do it, is go to the camera with just the speedo. And stop when the yellow line of the track hits the bottom of the MPH number. This is where the timer starts.

This isn't great, but you should get the idea.

Thank you, I did another lap with the new starting position and it seems I was gaining a 2/10 of a second advantage. My new time is 137.465 I'll put up a screenshot later when I get home, I gotta run.

I don't get it. I must have done something wrong, but I tried this challenge and within 5 laps I did a 1.37.1** :?

I bought the right car, selected practice/top gear track, turned off all the aids, and started from a standing start.
I struggled on the first lap. But my second attempt I did a 1.38.0
I tried a few more and did a 1.37.1... I was maybe about half a yard from where the time starts, so that have given me a little momentum.. but only a tenth or two at most.

I dont get it - Im not a bad driver but I cant believe I am just as fast as the best here after 5 laps :blink:

Aston Martin, could you provide a cockpit shot of the starting area so that it is easier to line up? I don't want to be gaining an unfair advantage, seeing as how the close the top three times are a tenth of a second is a lot.

The top of the window wipers should just cover the start/finish checkered line grid. Thats what I use.

http://img593.imageshack.**/img593/5413/topgeartrack.jpg

I think I can find another few tenths, but I'm bloody impressed with those fellas with low 37s.

Oh yeah, G25 wheel, using the paddles (not by choice. 2nd gear on my shifter pops into neutral unless I physically hold it in gear. I tried it for a while, but there is too much technical stuff in 2nd gear on that track to do it one handed).

Maybe just a lucky lap, those things can happen :D

Someone has copied this thread to GTP by the way: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138646
Apparently they aren't better than us :)

edit:
I've just noticed they start more than two entire car lengths earlier than us and use ABS 1. That's pretty lame! :D

I just did a lap using GT Planet's rules and their setup is a lot easier than ours. Without even trying, on my first lap I got a 136.595 using their starting position with ABS set to 1. I guess this shows that FG users are better drivers than GT Planet users. If I had an account over their I would post my time, but I don't want to waste my time creating an account.

Yeah, I just did that as well and it was a 1:36.789 which is about 1.5 seconds faster than my proper time!

http://img28.imageshack.**/img28/4139/img1887e.jpg

I found those few tenths. I hit every corner pretty much exactly where I wanted to, so I'm not sure I can do much faster than this. I would turn on the racing line on to make sure I'm not missing something, but hours of showering could not scrub away the dirtiness I would feel :).

I might have a few drinks later and give it another burl, but unless I pull something out of my arse, chris311 and dj taka, congrats, you blokes are quicker than me, and I feel honoured to be in the 1:37s with you.

I just did a lap using GT Planet's rules and their setup is a lot easier than ours. Without even trying, on my first lap I got a 136.595 using their starting position with ABS set to 1. I guess this shows that FG users are better drivers than GT Planet users. If I had an account over their I would post my time, but I don't want to waste my time creating an account.

I just posted my time there and mentioned that I was using finalgear.com rules. I signed up there like 2 years ago and never posted... I figured this would be a good first post :)