A look inside Japan's huge car auctions

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
I've been hanging around Jalopnik again, and found this.

MightCarMods takes a trip to Japan to see a car auction.

Pretty awesome if you ask me.

The whole of Series 2 is on youtube, but I'm not sure exactly what is in each episode. Well worth searching for them.

Did they buy the white RX7?

Last edited:
Have a look at the Poster in the background at 02:52 on Crazy Russian's video....

I do wonder what car prices are approximately in Japan. The guys made it sound like you could pick up a second hand Ferrari for 60k AUD.

I'm subscribed to their youtube channel, and they also do itunes podcasts but they haven't been updating very often it seems.

I do wonder what car prices are approximately in Japan. The guys made it sound like you could pick up a second hand Ferrari for 60k AUD.

The auctions are wholesale so definitely cheap but you need someone licenced to buy for you and the cars are obviously unregistered and possibly un-roadworthy. The private used sales market here is basically non-existent, everyone buys, sells and trades through dealers. If you want to check local prices for registered/roadworthy cars you can check here in English...

http://exchange.goo-net.com/

Any particular type of Ferrari? This 348ts is AU$60,000 but like all of them it's LHD.
28,000k's
Log books.
Tubi exhaust.

https://pic.armedcats.net/h/ha/hansvonaxion/2011/02/01/0702231A20091129W00303.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/h/ha/hansvonaxion/2011/02/01/0702231A20091129W00307.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/h/ha/hansvonaxion/2011/02/01/0702231A20091129W00312.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/h/ha/hansvonaxion/2011/02/01/0702231A20091129W00314.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/h/ha/hansvonaxion/2011/02/01/70007022312009112900300.jpg

I've been hanging around Jalopnik again, and found this.

MightCarMods takes a trip to Japan to see a car auction. [ ... ]

My mind is now blown.

I thought the meticulousness of Japanese car ownership was a myth but I'm beginning to see it might be true. Also I had no idea there was such a vast influx (well outflux) of used cars that no one wants over there. Makes me wish I'd bought my merc from there.

But it's not just Japan, the video itself was great. The guys including the dealer were surprisingly natural in front of a camera, and the music was pretty good especially when they arrived at the auction.

The beginning of the video briefly reminded me of Madventures :p

One of the guys makes the music himself. Check out the episode on how to mod your car for the zombie apocalypse.

Like I said, because most cars get sold through dealers there is a higher price "floor" than if there were a private market. Coupled with the high cost of ownership and Japanese peoples' preference for all things new it means there are a lot of 10-15 year old cars that are worth more os than in the domestic market.

I obviously went used car shopping in the wrong country. The people around here are freakin' slobs with their cars. :(

I so so so so so want to go to Japan and this video didn't help, haha. Sooooo many drool-worthy things (and not just cars--I need to try some octopus balls, man).

Last edited:
One of the guys makes the music himself. Check out the episode on how to mod your car for the zombie apocalypse.

Like I said, because most cars get sold through dealers there is a higher price "floor" than if there were a private market. Coupled with the high cost of ownership and Japanese peoples' preference for all things new it means there are a lot of 10-15 year old cars that are worth more os than in the domestic market.

Isen't there also some kind of tax incentative or simular to buy new cars at a relatively high rate?

I think I heard somewhere that the system is made so that used cars over a certain age is economically unatractive to buy, hence all the grey imports to Australia an NZ?

I think the main reason is that the generally high cost of ownership makes it impractical to own an older car. As far as I know the taxes/fees that need to be paid for registration don't increase with age but the car does need to pass a roadworthy test every 2 years and as the car gets older it becomes more expensive as things like oil leaks start happening and need to be fixed.

Right now I'm looking at getting a Legacy GT-B wagon, I could buy one from a dealer for 80,000? with 99,000k's on the clock but I would have to get the timing belt and water pump replaced for about 80,000? or more, plus pay 100-200,000? for the dealer to get it registered, taxes etc. It just doesn't make sense, especially when you consider the other fixed costs like parking, the highway tolls (about 25?/km), the high fuel prices etc.

If you can afford to own a car you can afford something decent.

Actual incentives for buying new are the 3 year grace period for new cars before they need their first shaken (roadworthy check) instead of 2, the new car warranty that covers that same period and now there are tax breaks for "eco-cars", cars which achieve particularly good mpg get a tax break which results in a saving of a couple of grand or more. The new Miev has a ridiculous saving off the list price.

Time to hit Japan for my next car!

I really want to import a Vitz RS, but I'm not sure I would be able to register it in Australia since the cooking versions were sold as the Echo here for quiet a few years...

But maybe I really should consider making a trip and looking for a mint NA MX5 in Japan. The main worry would be finding an honest dealer to arrange everything.

Last edited:
If you want to check local prices for registered/roadworthy cars you can check here in English...

http://exchange.goo-net.com/

You're bookmarked! :)

Why are the Ferraris all LHD?

Word of warning though. I was looking at one of the Australian gray importer sites a year or so ago and they had a near new Nissan GT-R for 60% of the list price. The ad though also came with a cease and desist letter from Nissan Australias Lawyers and an indication that Nissan will not service the car here. I actually know a guy (friend of a friend) who has a gray imported GT-R ... everything works fine on it except the SatNav because he cannot get an Australian map installed on it.

The main worry is permission to import. There are a few schemes under which you can import a car;
Personal import - you need to have owned it and used it for over 12 months, can be modified so long as it can be registered in your state.
SEVS scheme - you need to apply through a RAWS (workshop) to get permission for an approved car, must be brought back to stock if modded, may need work for compliancing (SIPS, child seat restraining point etc).
pre-1988 rule - used to be the 15 year rule, but now cars made prior to 1989 can be imported with limited restriction.
Race/rally use only - can't be registered for street use.

Actually, re-reading your post I think you knew all that, but...

As far as I can tell the MX-5 is not approved. You can find the list here.

You should be able to find an honest shop if you ask around on some forums for peoples' experiences.

So maybe I could import the Vitz RS under SEVS, or work in Japan for a year and buy one to use whilst I'm there....

I'm not overly familiar with the import rules, but I have heard of the "basics".

Last edited:
So maybe I could import the Vitz RS under SEVS, or work in Japan for a year and buy one to use whilst I'm there....

I'm not overly familiar with the import rules, but I have heard of the "basics".

For personal imports there's no restriction so you could do it that way. It isn't listed as approved under SEVS. You could apply to have it approved but if it's the same as the local model then it won't get approved I believe.

Owning a car for a year will cost you a lot if you're in a big city but you can also claim depreciatio to reduce the vehicles valuation for the purposes of calculating import duty and GST. The more you're able to spend the more it becomes worthwhile.

Nissan said from the start they wouldn't service grey import GT-Rs but I'm not sure about personal imports, I mean it's a completely valid way to import a vehicle.

There's a guy on the forum who does this for a living, Feast Auto Group I think. He could probably help you out better than I could.