A new 3-Wheeler-- The Polaris Slingshot

MacDubois

Car(s)
'14 Fiesta ST, 98 V70
Polaris, the maker of snowmobiles, ATVs, Victory and Indian motorcycles has just announced a new 3-wheeler. The Slingshot. It's definitely a motorcycle (for safety equipment reasons). But it looks like a cross between a Morgan 3-wheeler and a KTM X-Bow.

Price: Starts at $19,900
Engine: 2.4 Ecotec 4-Cyl
Horsepower: 173hp
Torque: 166ft*lbs
Weight: 1700lbs

Side by Side seating
Steering wheel, pedals
RWD
5spd manual automotive transmission

Will be sold in US first, Europe and Asia later

Double a-arm front suspension, single sided swing arm rear.
Btqyoh9IYAEQhI6.jpg

polarisslingshotforumadmin-albums-polaris+slingshot-picture82-polaris-slingshot-base-slingshot-sl.jpg

Polaris-Slingshot-01.jpg

Looks ridiculous. But it's cheap. If it handles well and is put together well, I think it could be a hit.

Last edited:
Looks like a cut price X-bow kit car, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Looks like it could be a giggle but I'd still rather have a Carver.

Well, clearly the T-Rex exists, but Campagna's (the company that produces them) cheapest option is the v17 which starts at $50k (more than double), and it's uglier than the Slingshot. The t-Rex starts over $65k. But it is about 600lbs lighter and has a roll cage.

The Morgan is north of $50k, although it does have charm.

The Polaris puts a much more reasonable price on 3-wheeled buffoonery. Single tire burnouts for the masses...

The Morgan is the only three-wheeler I understand. All those other ones just seem like something that's kind of like a motorcycle, but worse, while at the same time being something that's kind of like a car, but worse.

The Morgan is cool. The others are seriously lame.

5-speed manual, not an auto.

Slingshot, Crossbow... how long before we've got one called the airsoft?

I kid, I kid, but I am seriously excited about this growing three-wheel segment. Maybe VW and Peugeot will make god on their vaporware concepts now that they've got real competition.

Isn't 1700lbs relatively heavy for something like this? Looks like fun though, I'm not much of a bike fan, so I'd rather drive around in something like this.

May be a hit with that price.

I want someone to build a three wheeler that actually leans like a motorcycle.

Several outfits already have.

Carver:
car_photo_25846.jpg

Mercedes:
3628_01.jpg

Still, it's not exactly like a motorcycle. They don't lean far enough to drag helmet.

Helmet drag at ~1:10.

Last edited:
Carver Ones were in production and briefly imported to the US. Nobody bought them.