Ownership Verified: A Peugeot 106 in Québec. The only one.

sicnarf_1978

Car(s)
2017 Buick Regal and 1997 Peugeot 106
Firts of all, the proof…

IMG_20200607_205344.jpg

One of my dreams was to find a small european car that was not imported in America. Something simple and authentic. These kind of cars are difficult to find and very expansive. As the paranovirus is destroying lifes of everyone, I had to cancel all my travel plans. I had money and nothing to do with it. Then I was browsing ads for cars under 5000 $ on Kijiji… and I found a 1997 (I founded later it was a 1998 made in 1997) Peugeot 106 XR Colorline with the 60 hp 1,1 engine. The deal was done and after a litle plastic surgery on a body panel, it was in my driveway on friday night. There is 4 non original parts on this car. The 14 inches mags comes from a Peugeot 306, it was originaly 13 inches hubcaps, the steering wheel is an aftermarket disaster, the radio was changed because the old one was not working and there are 2 reflective stickers on the front flashers to meet Québec laws (I will probably remove them when it will be officially registered).

This car brings me back to the roots of driving. A manual transmission, no power steering, no ABS, no airbags. But there is AC and power windows. With only 60 hp (compared to the 259 of my Buick), this car is clearly not a race car, but in urban areas, there is no lack of power. But it is so fun to drive. It is small, precise, easy to drive. Peugeot left the North American market in 1991. And in the last years, they were only selling the 405 twice the price it worth, so there were not a lot sold and not a lot left. Add to this the fact that those small cars were never bestsellers in North America… this car is everything but anonymous. People are curious and many are pointing the car. This car is the only Peugeot 106 registered in Québec and my insurance didn't find any one in the Canadian datas… so it is probably the only one in Canada.

IMG_20200605_200116.jpg

IMG_20200605_200102.jpg

IMG_20200605_200731.jpg

IMG_20200605_202358.jpg

IMG_20200606_194421.jpg

Just notice the size difference with my Buick witch is not the biggest car on the market. The front French plate is the original and I can keep it there because there is no front plate in Québec.

I've always considered the Pug 106 the best looking smol hatch of the 1990s.

When I was at college there were loads of these kicking about and the car park was littered with them along with Corsa Bs, Saxos and K11 Micras. Then, seemingly overnight they all just vanished. I guess the scrappage scheme finished a lot of them off and then the fact new cars on finance became so much popular the second hand market dried up...

They are shockingly small in modern surroundings, they're more akin to my 1970s/80s heaps than anything built recently, even a new Corsa dwarfs them!

Yours looks like a really clean example as well, and it has the slightly-less-tiny engine. :LOL: Well bought!

Brilliant buy! Seems like 106s are getting a lot of love these days, there are a lot in my circle of friends. And even the base cars are fun.

Fantastic purchase!

My family has this car's twin sibling, the Citroën Saxo. It even has the same 1.1 60 PS engine. While not a hot hatch by any means, it still has enough power for the city and B-roads. You can even take it on the highway provided you don't cram it with people and stuff (trust me, I should know).

Some people claim that the 1.4 is the one to get as the 1.1 is anaemic, but then, other people claim the 1.1 is perfectly fine, unlike the anaemic 1.0. Nevertheless, the 1.1 is a good measure IMO.

Anyway, I love seeing cars in places where they were never sold officially, so that makes it automatically cool. The fact it's a 106 gives it even more cool points. Also, it's the proper colour and the proper trim, the 306 wheels fit it nicely, but the steering wheels needs to go and the turn indicator tape makes it look like the headlights are held in with it. Also, you're missing a piece of side mouldings on the front left fender, if you can't find anything, there might be something here on local scrapyards.

Have fun with the car and good luck with maintenance!

I've always considered the Pug 106 the best looking smol hatch of the 1990s.

When I was at college there were loads of these kicking about and the car park was littered with them along with Corsa Bs, Saxos and K11 Micras. Then, seemingly overnight they all just vanished. I guess the scrappage scheme finished a lot of them off and then the fact new cars on finance became so much popular the second hand market dried up...

They are shockingly small in modern surroundings, they're more akin to my 1970s/80s heaps than anything built recently, even a new Corsa dwarfs them!

Yours looks like a really clean example as well, and it has the slightly-less-tiny engine. :LOL: Well bought!

I had a 2010 Mini Cooper a few years ago and the Mini feels a lot bigger than this Peugeot. Even if the difference was not that much. I parked it in a shopping mall parking this morning. It can pass anywhere, but you have to get sure that people see you. And at the SAAQ office (Where we register cars here) the lady ask me if it was a scooter… No, it is small, but it is a car.

My family has this car's twin sibling, the Citroën Saxo. It even has the same 1.1 60 PS engine. While not a hot hatch by any means, it still has enough power for the city and B-roads. You can even take it on the highway provided you don't cram it with people and stuff (trust me, I should know).

Some people claim that the 1.4 is the one to get as the 1.1 is anaemic, but then, other people claim the 1.1 is perfectly fine, unlike the anaemic 1.0. Nevertheless, the 1.1 is a good measure IMO.

Anyway, I love seeing cars in places where they were never sold officially, so that makes it automatically cool. The fact it's a 106 gives it even more cool points. Also, it's the proper colour and the proper trim, the 306 wheels fit it nicely, but the steering wheels needs to go and the turn indicator tape makes it look like the headlights are held in with it. Also, you're missing a piece of side mouldings on the front left fender, if you can't find anything, there might be something here on local scrapyards.

Have fun with the car and good luck with maintenance!

I went on the highway with it. The speed limit is 100 km/h here, so it is OK to drive it. I push it to 120. I realized after that that the wheels were not the same size as the original, so in fact, I were driving at 130. But it take a long time to get there. The turn indicator tape was put to meet local rules. I wanted to keep them until the car is properly registered to my name, in case they ask for a safety check. They will be removed this week. For the side moulding, I will check on eBay.

Great find!

Why do you require the tape? What is the rule that says that?

USDM cars have amber bits in the front indicators, I’m sure Canada has the same or similar rules.

His Buick has amber bits in the front headlamps too, if you look at the picture in the thread. The European version (Opel Insignia) doesn’t. Since the 106 wasn’t ever sold over there and there aren’t any compliant headlights to be had, amber tape will do for inspection/registration/whatever and will be gone after that’s taken care of. Just guessing. :p

Here are the amber reflectors on an USDM E60.

1592254660411.jpeg

Last edited: