A question about Police cars

Ah great, I have a use here!

The Caprice was one of the best patrol cars ever, however GM crunched numbers and switched the plant that made the Caprices to Tahoes (and they made millions doing so.)

The Crown Vic has taken over the market and now matches the Caprice's track times at the Michigan police tests. The Charger is good, but it's too small for the modern police equipment. Its market is strictly Highway Patrol and State agencies with the Hemi, but otherwise thats it.

The impala, while it is FWD has gotten better for police use. They can finally take the brutal punishment of police abuse without breaking.

On the topic of Vics with V10s, trust me its a waste. The only engine swapped vic that moves are the two out there now than now have 5.4l Lightning motors and one has a whipple blower. Last run at the track was 10.5 and it still wasn't tuned.

As far as body roll, the one someone saw above was probably a civilian car, the civilian Caprices had no rear swaybar unless you had the tow package and the 5.7l LT1. Otherwise its a giant boat.

Seeing the the Charger is a Monocoque rather than a Body-on-frame, I would have thought that the Charger would have more space. My personal favorite would be the Crown Vic, but it only has a 4.6L V8. If they had put a modular 4.6 or 5.4 n/a V8 in it I would probably consider owning one in the future. Since it doesn't, my overall favorite is still the Caprice. It would be really cool for Gm or Ford to make some modern full size saloons but using their SUV platforms as a base. Ford could use their Explorer platform with IRS and turn it into a Crown Vic.

Its market is strictly Highway Patrol and State agencies with the Hemi, but otherwise thats it.

The Charger with the 3.5 V6 has been selling. It is not just used as an interceptor.

Seeing the the Charger is a Monocoque rather than a Body-on-frame, I would have thought that the Charger would have more space. My personal favorite would be the Crown Vic, but it only has a 4.6L V8. If they had put a modular 4.6 or 5.4 n/a V8 in it I would probably consider owning one in the future. Since it doesn't, my overall favorite is still the Caprice. It would be really cool for Gm or Ford to make some modern full size saloons but using their SUV platforms as a base. Ford could use their Explorer platform with IRS and turn it into a Crown Vic.

uh the 4.6L in the Crown Vic is a Mod. whether the engine be in an Explorer, Expedition, F-150, Mustang, MK8, or Crown Vic, its still a Modular V8.

IIRC, the one in the Interceptor's r Cobra 4v's.

That Charger is great......didn't know they came in off-road spec though!

Oops, got my engines wrong. But yeah, still, a V10 under the hood of a Crown Vic would be brutal.

Oh, and when the FHP isn't cruising in their vics, they're tearing it up with these:
PG022704.jpg

LS1 for the lose :D

Gimme the previous version, the LT1 4th gen.

Crown vic looks like a bloated jetta. That being said, a friend who I knew in high school as a troublemaker when I was in middle school, became a cop, and one day I asked him what's different between the 2 cars.

He said the ford handles better, but the chevy is quicker obviously with 330lb torque.

Either way I wouldn't touch any of them, dodge included. Absolutely disgusting interiors and poor build quality, and gas guzzlers the lot.

....and gas guzzlers the lot.

hmmmm....

doesnt this comment usually come from someone who knows nothing about American V8's?:lol:

my brother's old 4th Gen LT1 got just a bit over 20mpg. i know of a guy who's got a retired 3rd Gen Interceptor that gets it into the 20 range.

my dad has a 95 9c1 and i have a 93 9c1. there just utterly Brutal cars.my dads has the LT1 whilst mine has teh L05 truck engine. both 5.7's. and that compared to the fords 4.6 means more torque. my cousin has the grand marquis. cousin car to the ford crown vic. and off the line its utterly painfully sluggish. it feels like someone left the E-brake on along with gigantic steel tires. the caprices were much more powerful. built much better and i do believe handle better aswell. plus if you get one there are much more after market parts largely due to the impala SS. which is pretty much a caprice/9c1 in a suit.

I think that if GM had kept the B-body (Caprice/Impala/Roadmaster) platform around and continued to improve it, the Crown Vic would be number 2. Even if they didn't really touch the platform and just put in new engines, I think a 9C1 with an LS2 under the hood would hand the Crown Vic it's ass.

I always wanted a 9C1 Caprice Classic. I heard they have a button that cuts the brake lights and interior lights, and even makes the engine idle at lower revs, so you can sneak up on people better. Is that true?

I always wanted a 9C1 Caprice Classic. I heard they have a button that cuts the brake lights and interior lights, and even makes the engine idle at lower revs, so you can sneak up on people better. Is that true?
Well you could kill all the lights on all the old GM cars I've owned by just flipping the headlights off. As for the lower engine idle thing, I think thats a load of crap :lol:. I've been wrong once of twice before, but it seems to me like cutting the idle lower while just putting along would probably make it noisier if anything as the engine sputtered to keep running.

Not American, but still quite badass.

I hear that it sips nitro with phase 4 heads, and that it has 600 horsepower through the wheels. Evidently she is meanness set to music and is born to run.

O3.jpg

Because of this Fail-Wheel-Drive monstrosity...
They actually killed it to make room on assembly lines for more SUVs iirc. And that might be even worse, despite how pissed off "fail wheel drive" Monte Carlos make me.

Punisher Bass said:
Even if they didn't really touch the platform and just put in new engines, I think a 9C1 with an LS2 under the hood would hand the Crown Vic it's ass.
Gah, don't even put such ideas in my head! It makes me sad :(.

Someone on Ebay not to long ago was selling a 02 Crown Vic Interceptor with a LS1 under the hood. Bet that hauled ass.

The Current CVPI is a even match for a 94-96 9C1 LT1 Caprice, although the Police Package Tahoe, and Hemi Chargers are faster. 9C1 Impala and V6 Charger are even in performance with the Vic, but surprisingly the big V8 Interceptor gets better gas mileage than the V6 Charger (Impala gets 1-2mpg better).

The Charger's biggest problem is it's size, The Impala barely fits all the equipment and still is comfortable, the Vic is always comfortable with all the equipment, and the Charger is cramped before all the equipment.

The Real Market for the Charger is Highway Patrol, thats it. Its not very roomy, and the V6 version is sluggish compared to the Vic and Impala.

I thought Modular also means 3-valves? In that case, I meant that ford should have put the 4.6L 24 valve V8 in the CV.

I thought Modular also means 3-valves? In that case, I meant that ford should have put the 4.6L 24 valve V8 in the CV.

ALL 4.6L's r modular. coming from the first days of the 4.6L in 1991 up until now.

"Modular" doesnt pertain to how many valves it has, engine design, or the heads it was using. they were named "Modular" for a plant or it's tooling that can be changed out in a matter of hours to manufacture different versions of this family of engines.