A Random Corolla...

Initial_B

Car(s)
2006 Toyota Corolla Xrs (a 4-door Lotus)
well, here it is ladies and gentlemen of Final Gear. my 2006 Toyota Corolla Xrs. some of you guys have already questioned my decision on why i think this car is so special to me. and since it looks like every other Corolla in North America, and perhaps, most of the world, it's no surprise that you ask such a question. but let's get on with the pics first...

SANY2128.jpg

SANY2125.jpg

SANY2124.jpg

before i show more, here's proof that this car is mine.
SANY2132.jpg

SANY2135.jpg

let's continue...
SANY2136.jpg

SANY2131.jpg

SANY2129.jpg

SANY2130.jpg

the interior
SANY2133.jpg

SANY2134.jpg

gauges off:
SANY2137.jpg

gauges on:
SANY2138.jpg

at this point, you may have noticed that the tachometer may be a bit higher in engine speed that what you normally thought this car would have. 8000 rpm (8250 to be exact) redline with a 9000 rpm limit.

let's look under the hood, shall we?
SANY2161.jpg

SANY2152.jpg

a de-tuned version of the Toyota Celica GT-S (T-Sport in Europe), Matrix Xrs, and most notably, the Lotus Elise and Exige. about 165 hp to the crank when the car was new, it was de-tuned to make a bit better usable torque around the city as well as better gas mileage because, hey, let's face it, it's still a Corolla. but it packs plenty of power for those quick freeway entrance on-ramps. i had this car for over 3 years now and it has been a pleasurable experience since i drove it off the lot. the shenanigans i've been with this car in that short time, the Corolla has always had a sentimental value to me since i was kid.

You know, when you take most of the beige out of the interior, it doesn't look that bad actually!

Friend owns a 2002 Pontiac Vibe with the original 2ZZ screamer in it. Totally stock it did 14.5 in the quarter mile. I myself like engines with torque, but when that engine hits lift at 7,000 and knocks you back in the seat, it is very impressive.

It's quick, rare, looks enough like a regular Corolla so as not to draw unwanted attention, and has that legendary Toyota reliability to boot! What's not to like?

Well okay, that body style is a bit slab-sided, but it's nothing that a set of 18" wheels wouldn't fix. (Check out the Tire Rack and see.)

Having driven a 2003 Matrix XRS, I know it's a great motor, (and the transmission is pretty good too) but I just can't get over the Corolla body style.

I hate to ask this but... why this over an Si?

It's much more of a sleeper and does have a bit more exclusivity. Looks like a great little unassuming car to me.

Friend owns a 2002 Pontiac Vibe with the original 2ZZ screamer in it. Totally stock it did 14.5 in the quarter mile. I myself like engines with torque, but when that engine hits lift at 7,000 and knocks you back in the seat, it is very impressive.
yea, my first time hitting Lift on my test drive, it knocked me back. i knew what this engine was capable of, but actually experiencing this first hand was an incredible rush.
It's quick, rare, looks enough like a regular Corolla so as not to draw unwanted attention, and has that legendary Toyota reliability to boot! What's not to like?

Well okay, that body style is a bit slab-sided, but it's nothing that a set of 18" wheels wouldn't fix. (Check out the Tire Rack and see.)
a Corolla was never a "style leader", but it looks like a car nonetheless. 18'' are nice, but i'm looking for light weight, so i might want to go with a 16" or 17" at the most.

Perfect place to dump a body.
yes, and not too far from my place either...

Having driven a 2003 Matrix XRS, I know it's a great motor, (and the transmission is pretty good too) but I just can't get over the Corolla body style.
if i was concern more of form then function, i would of gotten a Scion tC. but the style quickly grew on me since this generation was introduced in '03. the transmission could be a bit better in my opinion, but it's a minor detail.

I hate to ask this but... why this over an Si?

It's much more of a sleeper and does have a bit more exclusivity. Looks like a great little unassuming car to me.
he pretty much nailed it in the head. the Si's 2 liter K20 is a damn fine engine, and i had the privilege of test driving a friend's Si. but the style of the car is far too out there for someone as conservative as me. plus every tuner meet i've been to, there was always at least a dozen or so Civics. i like being the only Corolla there that can go toe to toe with them, plus, girls always seem to like my car a bit more.
go figure? :may:

Last edited:
Girls like cars that aren't riced. :p (Well, at least in my experience, anyway...)

Any plans to re-tune that engine back up to Celica levels of whee?

Looks really nice. I wish Toyota would start making fast cars again, not boring stuff like today*

*statement valid until FT-86 reaches production

I must say that I'm surprised by how nice that Corolla looks, especially the interior.

I see "S" badged Corollas around here all the time and feel sorry for the buyer who was actually convinced to pay more for a "sporty" toaster. I've never seen an "XRS" before though, and it's auto-cool in my book just because of how few were probably made. On the other hand I see at least one Civic Si a day, and usually get the Douchey-Mc-Ricer vibe from them, so props to you for choosing this instead!

Hooray for proof that Corollas can be cool (ultimate example of Corolla-cool below).

trueno-ae86.jpg

I've driven regular versions of your style Corolla and while I hate the tall and narrow looking body style they do actually drive pretty nicely. Never felt much bigger or heavier than mine either. I'm actually looking for a beige version of your steering wheel too. 3 spoke wheels look so much better than 4 spoke wheels.

I've driven regular versions of your style Corolla and while I hate the tall and narrow looking body style they do actually drive pretty nicely..
What?? I've been rocking an 05 Corolla for the past month and I hate it with a passion and cant wait to give it back! Biggest POS ever!

Great looking car. With the black interior and silver trim, it looks MUCH sharper than the one I drove a while back. The Corollas of that generation were not very exciting, but perfectly decent driving cars. Even better with the higher revving 1.8L on the sportier models (tuned by Yamaha I think?). The current generation XRS models are way too bloated, too plasticy, and too heavy. Having the same big 2.4L from the Camry doesn't help it feel any livelier either. The car is in fantastic condition! Was it bought brand new?

If I had to pick, I'd buy the last generation Matrix with the 2ZZ and 5 speed (assuming I learn how to drive stick).

Last edited:
Looks really nice. I wish Toyota would start making fast cars again, not boring stuff like today*

*statement valid until FT-86 reaches production
same here. this car was sadly Toyota's last hoorah before they sold out to the American consumer.

I must say that I'm surprised by how nice that Corolla looks, especially the interior.

I see "S" badged Corollas around here all the time and feel sorry for the buyer who was actually convinced to pay more for a "sporty" toaster. I've never seen an "XRS" before though, and it's auto-cool in my book just because of how few were probably made. On the other hand I see at least one Civic Si a day, and usually get the Douchey-Mc-Ricer vibe from them, so props to you for choosing this instead!

Hooray for proof that Corollas can be cool (ultimate example of Corolla-cool below).

trueno-ae86.jpg
the Corolla S isn't a bad car, and you really don't pay too much for a lip kit and a black interior. i thought of buying one till i found the Xrs. the Civic Si is like the Corolla of the "tuner world". everyone and their momma has one. but it's still not a bad car. the engine is fantastic. and i would kill to have an AE86 Corolla GT-S that wasn't a "drift car" before.
But he delivers tofu...

On 2-lane mountain back-roads, at insane speeds, after he gets done street racing...

...in a Corolla!

What's the craziest/awesomest thing you've gotten your Corolla to do Initial_B?
there are quite few things that i have done that i just can't pick a specific good story at the moment with at least dedicating an entire thread to it. let's just say i would of made them Duke Boys proud...
I've driven regular versions of your style Corolla and while I hate the tall and narrow looking body style they do actually drive pretty nicely. Never felt much bigger or heavier than mine either. I'm actually looking for a beige version of your steering wheel too. 3 spoke wheels look so much better than 4 spoke wheels.
the Corolla is not as heavy as some people think it would be. if you're looking for a beige 3 spoke wheel like mine, try to look for one from a Corolla LE. those tend to have a leather wrapped wheel if they're the LE model.

What?? I've been rocking an 05 Corolla for the past month and I hate it with a passion and cant wait to give it back! Biggest POS ever!
so...what kind if car do you drive?
Girls like cars that aren't riced. :p (Well, at least in my experience, anyway...)

Any plans to re-tune that engine back up to Celica levels of whee?
i would love nothing more than to tune this entire car, but my current financial status just allows me to only have the car itself. but hopefully, things will pick up this year for me.

Great looking car. With the black interior and silver trim, it looks MUCH sharper than the one I drove a while back. The Corollas of that generation were not very exciting, but perfectly decent driving cars. Even better with the higher revving 1.8L on the sportier models (tuned by Yamaha I think?). The current generation XRS models are way too bloated, too plasticy, and too heavy. Having the same big 2.4L from the Camry doesn't help it feel any livelier either. The car is in fantastic condition! Was it bought brand new?

If I had to pick, I'd buy the last generation Matrix with the 2ZZ and 5 speed (assuming I learn how to drive stick).
yep, the 2ZZ is tuned by Yamaha and it comes with a 6 speed. it had an automatic for the Matrix, but that was rubbish for an engine like that. the "new" Corolla Xrs isn't exactly a worthy successor to the last Xrs. the 2.4 can be boosted, but so can every large 4 cyl engine above 2.0 liters. it was too "civilized" for enthusiast. it's like the modern day equivalent to the Corolla Sport models of the 1980's. when the AE86 turned into the AE92 in 1988, it may have the same available 4A-GE, but it was powering the wrong wheels.

i bought the car in the fall of 07 as a "Toyota Certified Vehicle" (used). it was a year and half old according to the date of manufacturing and it had only 16000 miles. i couldn't believe that a car like this was at my local dealer. i had found some other Xrs models before this one and they were either too expensive for the mileage, salvaged, or the color RED. this car seemed like it was put on hold just for me till the time came to buy it. even the leather seats weren't even an available option when this car was new. this was FATE!

I never thought I'd say this about a newer Toyota, but that's an interesting and unique car. I thought that you just had the "S" model with the lame body kit, turns out I was far from the truth.
and now you know...

Last edited: