A silent econobox (looking for ideas for next car)

static

Hello,

I could swear I have seen some kind of megathread for these "help me find a car" topics but my searches were futile.
I need to change my car to more boring one. As sad as it is, I need worktool so that I can keep saving cash to buy that lovely Z4M for weekend toy some day. But this is the reality and I need something super-boring and I'd love to get some help from fellow petrolheads. I feel I'm going in circles right now.
Anyway..

I currently have a 2009 BMW 118i M-Sport which I'm liking quite a bit. Problem is my current work requires me to drive quite a lot of motorway and this car is not the most frugal one. It's also a bit too expensive so I'd like to something a bit cheaper. Also I actually prefer a front-wheel-drive car this time, the motorways can be very icy during our long winters and this car has to be stress-free and effortless tool. So..

5 criterias

- Low consumption diesel
- good sound insulation. The BMW has great sound insulation and I'd really love to have this in the next car as well
- Not too big. The 1-series is fine, I can't take anything smaller but this size or a bit larger is okay.
- not a sedan. Hatch or estate are must as I need the practicality
- can't bee to old or worn out as it's gonna be a trustworthy workhorse that can't spend it's days on the dealership

What I've been looking for are previous gen Ford Focuses as they can be had for quite cheap.
2008_Ford_Focus_HA_A05.jpg

I actually tested drove a completely new, current Focus today and didn't like it too much as it was very noisy on motorway. Also the engine was very weak but I suppose that's the tradeoff I'm going to have anyway.

The new-bodied Opel Astra is also a contender as it's supposedly has very frugal diesel engine. This is a bit on the too expensive side as they are still very new.
opel-astra-2010-img_1.jpg

Previous gen-Octavia 2.0 TDI. This is perhaps the most boring option but should be pretty safe bet? Lots and lots of these on the market in Finland.
4259085_b_69127445.jpg

Un-facelifted Audi A3. This is going to be bit older but on the other hand it should give me the premium feeling cabin I so love in my current BMW.
2008%2BAudi%2BA3.jpg

So this is what I'm thinking right now. Do you perhaps have any other ideas or suggestions?
Would appreciate it!

Value for money you're best off with an Octavia TDI estate, of course :lol: it won't be silent though, for that you would have to go TSI.
In hatch guise (Golf) the 105hp 1.6TDI is just enough, as an estate it might be a bit on the weak side - 2.0s are best and still fairly frugal.
Considering you're looking for silence you should take care not to buy a Pumpe D?se model but rather a Common Rail TDI.

Golf - thread.

I've never been a big fan of the Golf. Today I was in a VW dealership looking at used Golfs (and even new ones) and I just can see myself owning one. They are quite expensive and to me not that pleasant to be in.

- - - Updated - - -

Value for money you're best off with an Octavia TDI estate, of course :lol: it won't be silent though, for that you would have to go TSI.
In hatch guise (Golf) the 105hp 1.6TDI is just enough, as an estate it might be a bit on the weak side - 2.0s are best and still fairly frugal.
Considering you're looking for silence you should take care not to buy a Pumpe D?se model but rather a Common Rail TDI.

Yeah this is my impression too: If it's a VAG -product it needs to be a common-rail TDI.
By the way I just realized that If it were to be A3, it would have to be facelifted one because it was not until then the Common Rail TDI replaced the old pump-TDI engine. And that might make it a bit too expensive for me this time.

Last edited:
There is a reason why they are expensive - they are a good daily driver (For you the hot one [the GTI]). Also you get a good wedge of your money back when you trade them in.

Last edited:
I've never been a big fan of the Golf. Today I was in a VW dealership looking at used Golfs (and even new ones) and I just can see myself owning one. They are quite expensive and to me not that pleasant to be in.

I suggest the Focus, then. If anything, it is a good compromise and I am sure they are everywhere making repairs and cost of ownership very reasonable.

I suggest the Focus, then. If anything, it is a good compromise and I am sure they are everywhere making repairs and cost of ownership very reasonable.

Yeah, I definetly need to go and test drive one. They are very reasobly priced and lots of them in the market right now.
They advertise the new Focus diesel right know pretty agressively claiming it to be the most economical in it's class but hopefully the previous gen diesel is decent as well.

I had a 1.6 diesel hatch of the last model as a rental. Not as refined as a Golf but was a good car - I'd avoid the petrols myself if you are doing more that 10,000 Kms per annum. As Jay said economical and good all around.

The mk2 Focus is not as well sound-insulated towards the inside as a Golf 5 or 6 in my experience. Dunno if the mk3 is any better, haven?t driven the Astra or any recent French Hatches. The Audi A3 is also more silent on the inside (dunno about Seat and Skoda). I think the Focus is a very good alternative to the VAGs, it drives wonderful for a FWD car ... but if quietness is such a big issue for you ... it might not be the right choice for you.

Yes, previous generation Focus ? quiet inside. At least on rough Finnish road surface. It should be a good car otherwise though.

What about a Volvo V50 DRIVe like this one? Has a combined consumption of 3,9 litres per 100km.

Last edited:
If you can get an Astra J with the 1.7CDTI (current gen), perhaps the pre-facelift model, I'd go with that. It's a nice place to be, drives well, is reasonably comfortable and comes with loads of standard equipment. Engine is very frugal and reliable, but perhaps a bit nosier than a Golf.

The petrol Astra H ("pre-facelift"?) is much much much louder than the petrol Octavia of only slightly less age. Not just the engine, but the overall car is much louder and less comfortable. Today I had a short drive in the Astra again and it was two different worlds.

Can you stretch to an older Passat perhaps - they are quite refined (NB important to get the right [updated] engine).

Skoda Superb. ...

In the estate you could put in an Olympic Sized swimming pool and still have room for London's third airport in the back (You will have to put the rear seats down though :( ).

Last edited:
Yeah, I had one a month ago as a rental. Five adults, some luggage, lots of space left. The rear leg room is obscene, and the boot is ... :jeremy: cavernous.

The mk2 Focus is not as well sound-insulated towards the inside as a Golf 5 or 6 in my experience.
I don't know about the newer Golfs, but I am sure the Focus is louder, because:

Yes, previous generation Focus ? quiet inside.

And my experience is with a petrol version, not with a Diesel.

The V50 DRIVe is frugal indeed, don't know about noise though. It's got the same 115hp four as the normal 1.6D but is slightly less thirsty thanks to a crapload of small tweaks that all add up.