Ownership Verified: A Suomi-spec Corolla

DaBoom

Worlds fastest Amish
Car(s)
Various BMWs, a Swift cabrio, Benelli TreK
Time has come for me to stop playing with silly BMWs and join the grey masses. So I got myself a sensible 1.3 Corolla to get me through the winter.

Since Polkky started the winterbeater ball rolling, I guess I'll add mine here as well. As in their case, this was sort of joint venture, as we "needed" a nice gravel missile while Beni was visiting here couple weeks ago. Suspension on the 1er is way too hard for gravel and I had a 125cc enduro bike as a loaner at that time and wanted to try it on some gravel. That, and I was planning on buying something a bit cheaper for ice track use.

So..

:D
upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

This was far from our first choice, but probably one with most street cred. :p And in factual form, it's a 1983 KE70 Corolla DX with your average workhorse 1.3, said to produce around 60hp. Not much to say, it has (poor) lights, slightly sagging drivers door, loud clock and slightly stuck heater, which is why half of the dash was disassembled by the previous owner. Basic transportation in a light, compact and very fun package. And while winter wheels that came with the car are good, the collection of "summer" tyres was borderline dangerous, let alone legal. So I dug some new ones from the storage hall. It's now running on old-ish de-studded 155/65R13 tyres, so ride and cornering is firm and immediate. No, that's not right..

Things have changed a bit from my avatar picture
upload_-1.jpg

Room for activities here
upload_-1.jpg

Classic ziptie fixes (and key ring)
upload_-1.jpg

Last edited:
That thing looks like it's ready for Mad Max.

I love it, it's perfect. It's like My Summer Car but My Winter Car instead.

That's terribly awesome. :lol:

Hey, that thing is RWD, isn't it?

How do you find these ancient cars for so little money?! Pretty sure early 80s Corollas went extinct by the early 2000s and survivors now crop up eBay full of rusty holes and with "JDM DRIFT CAR PROJECT" in the title and four figure price tags...

Well, it being RWD it's triple the price of other cheap cars with valid inspection (as are all RWD cars, apart from some big Volvos and diesel Mercs). Sideways action is still in high demand. :cool: There aren't many about any more, but I guess it's the love for sideways action that makes people bother with even bigger bodywork repairs, as there's very few options after cars of this era give out. :( That said, dispite its looks it's in surprisingly good condition for a Japanese car. There are some rust fixes of course, but it's still mostly standing on its own body rather than shoddy amish welds and bondo fixes (it has some of that as well, of course).

Last edited:
Awesome, and it has some Mad Max charm. I really wanna try this! :D

:thumbsup:

I've always wondered why the KE70 was dubbed the "Corolla DX" here. Everyone knows what you mean when you say "DX-Corolla". Even though DX was a trim level, and used on the later FWD cars as well.

BTW, I also read somewhere that Toyota had a successor ready and waiting in the wings, but the decided not to release it because people were still buying the leaf-sprung KE70. :p

Finally, this gem:

[video=youtube;jbd0G3o9-to]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbd0G3o9-to[/video]

Oh, this thing is strong on memory lane, all those nights spend driving around Tikkurila. Friend mine had ferrari red, wide minilites, lifted rear, tinted rear windows with "whore stairs", offcourse two antennas. It was cool.

Great buy, it needs 4AGE and LSD (maybe Kemppi LSD), also a good choice is 1.3 engine from rally Starlet, there is plenty to choose from. But in real life I think that it will serve its duty well like it is.

BTW, I also read somewhere that Toyota had a successor ready and waiting in the wings, but the decided not to release it because people were still buying the leaf-sprung KE70. :p

:idiot: What do you mean leaf sprung, this is a high tech machine! With pushrod engine, a carb with manual choke, 4 speed gearbox etc.. :ninja:

Last edited: