A "What car should I buy" Thread

One issue I have with a lot of the cars that fit my wants is that what is considered high mileage for these cars is 150k. I consider at least 200k+ higher mileage.

I just checked Finnish used car's page nettiauto.com, because we do drive the cars to the death and beyond due extremely expensive new cars. There are tons of E46s with over 200k miles and couple of examples are nearing 300k miles (280k miles atm). These are diesels of course, so engine-wise they don't tell anything, but at least the rest of the car should be up to the task. Then again, I totally agree with you, 150k shouldn't be considered as a "high mileage".

Btw, the 320d with 280k miles costs $9300. Did I mention that cars are expensive? :D

How about this? I'm certainly very interested...

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/2458420264.html
IMG_2446.jpg

1.8 supercharged, RWD, 6 speed manual

Edit: Or maybe even this, even though it is 2-doors: CLK

Last edited:
My father recently bought a C230 that is two years newer. Great car, but I am not that old yet. That CLK looks nice, if it doesn't cost a million dollars to run.

I test drove a G35 coupe last night. I was... I bit underwhelmed.
First I must say that the previous owner decided a stupidly loud exhaust, cold air intake, and a aftermarket intake manifold? Whatever connects the intake to the top of the engine. So he might have messed it up a bit. It was quick, but for having 297 hp stock, it seemed like it should be quicker.
The interior was nice all around. It had a bit of carbon fiber accents that were alright, I guess. But this car had one of my pet peeves. It has a center mirror that takes all of the viewing space for that area of the windshield. When I sat in the back I couldn't sit up straight because my head would be somewhere outside of the car, if the back window wasn't there. I would not want to be in the back of that car for more then a small drive.
I look forward to diving other cars, I did not like that car as much I had hoped.
After I drove that car I took out my friends 9-3 Aero again. The 2.7L Turbo is a fun engine. I like that car better. Too bad they are FWD.

Last edited:
G35 has 280 crank hp stock. But its a heavy car.

The intake tube and aftermarket intake plenum are good ideas if its an early model. The OEM intake tube is very restrictive and the OEM plenum restricts air for the front 2 cylinders on early models. Most just go with a plenum spacer, but the aftermarket ones work as well. Those 2 mods have usually shown 10-15hp increase on dyno.

Can't say I'd like the exhaust, only exhaust I want is the Nismo, which basically sounds stock but just a bit louder.

G35 has 280 crank hp stock. But its a heavy car.

The intake tube and aftermarket intake plenum are good ideas if its an early model. The OEM intake tube is very restrictive and the OEM plenum restricts air for the front 2 cylinders on early models. Most just go with a plenum spacer, but the aftermarket ones work as well. Those 2 mods have usually shown 10-15hp increase on dyno.

Can't say I'd like the exhaust, only exhaust I want is the Nismo, which basically sounds stock but just a bit louder.

I got my number from wikipedia. The sales person quoted the same number.
In the 2005 and 2006 model years, those with automatic transmissions (both sedan and coupe) produced 210 kW (286 PS; 282 hp) and 365 N?m (269 lb?ft) of torque, while those with manual transmissions produced 222 kW (302 PS; 298 hp) and 350 N?m (258 lb?ft) of torque (again, both in sedan and coupe form).

Either way. I felt like the car should have had more go. At least on par with a 9-3 Aero with 243hp.

Turbo cars will almost always have a broader torque curve than a similarly-powered high-revving NA engine.

I got my number from wikipedia. The sales person quoted the same number.

Either way. I felt like the car should have had more go. At least on par with a 9-3 Aero with 243hp.
I was thinking of the 03-04 models since you didn't mention what year it was. The Rev-up motor in the 6MT 05-06 did have the 298. The Rev-up motor doesn't have as much torque in the lower RPM range as the 03-04 model does. I personally always prefer a low to mid range engine rather than a higher revving one.

I think it is pretty quick for a heavy car and handles pretty well also.

Had to look up some numbers for my own sake. Of course they didn't have the 05-06 G35.

2005 Saab 9-3 Aero Turbo V6 0-60 mph 6.7
2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible 0-60 mph 6.3 Quarter Mile 14.8
2007 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible 0-60 mph 6.3 Quarter mile 14.8
2008 Saab 9-3 0-60 mph 6.3 Quarter mile 14.9

2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 0-60 mph 5.4 Quarter mile 14.0
2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan 0-60 mph 6.1 Quarter mile 14.5
2004 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan 0-60 mph 6.1 Quarter mile 14.4
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport (Manual) 0-60 mph 5.0 Quarter mile 13.5

But if the 9-3 is 6.3 and G35 is 5.4 you shouldn't think the G is that much slower.

Turbo is turbo.

I'm interested in seeing the 40-60 and 40-80mph figures for both cars.

It felt quicker. This was on street, within the speed limit driving. So my experiences are subjective. I also live a mile up. The Aero didn't feel the altitude but the G did. The PO messed with the G but the Aero was stock. I have not had a lot of experience in either car.
I didn't launch either car so 0-60 times were not compared.

See this for G, nothing on 9-3 Aero that I can find
40-60
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 2.14 s
60-80
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 3.78 s

Last edited:

That's because those VQ motors aren't very torquey. What you need is more displacement, and a much nicer sound track to go along with it.....still advocating for the GTO or CTS-V. Torque everywhere makes it feel sluggish, since there isn't one instance where power/torque jump way up, it's just there all the time whenever you need it.

I drove two more cars today. A 2002 BMW M3 and a 2002 BMW M5. I have been in an M3 before and I was impressed in it's ability. The one I drove seemed a bit lose, but the engine was still amazing.
The M5 is a treat to drive. A lot of power all the time put through a wonderful transmission. The shifter felt great, the clutch was hard but accurate. The whole car was very comfortable. This particular car had an interesting tick that increased with engine speed and had a check engine light on.
So what are the issues with ~2000 M5s and what kind of running costs would I see from one of those?

I think the CTS-V is expensive. I haven't come across a GTO yet.

This particular car had an interesting tick that increased with engine speed and had a check engine light on.
So what are the issues with ~2000 M5s and what kind of running costs would I see from one of those?

That sounds like VANOS problems to me. VANOS is BMW's Variable Valve timing system. When it goes bad you get a distinctive valve tick. The repair is quite costly. But as far as I have heard, the problem is not fatal - the car is still drivable...if you want to drive in a car with knocking valves.

That sounds like VANOS problems to me. VANOS is BMW's Variable Valve timing system. When it goes bad you get a distinctive valve tick. The repair is quite costly. But as far as I have heard, the problem is not fatal - the car is still drivable...if you want to drive in a car with knocking valves.

This. Avoid anything that exhibits this or is questionable on any car, but M5s are especially bad.

I have no plan to buy that car. I really liked the M5 though. Perhaps I will look at a lesser BMW. I wanted to drive a 330, but it was an auto.

I have no plan to buy that car. I really liked the M5 though. Perhaps I will look at a lesser BMW. I wanted to drive a 330, but it was an auto.

I really like my 330, it's a jack of all trades.

There are of course, things to look out for. Mine was a CPO car with about a year left on the warranty, so all the servicing had been done. As always, this is the most crucial thing to look out for.

RX-8
FD3S (just to be clear, the problems with these cars really had nothing to do with them being rotary, it was bean counters short cutting on vital materials, such as turbo control systems using rubber lines instead of silicone, and being placed in and around an extremely hot PAIR of turbochargers)
350z
RSX-S
GTO
XK8/R

Last edited:
I <3 E39 BMWs. I drove a Manual 530i and I couldn't get over how awesome that car was to drive. I'd love to own a clean example in the future. I feel like BMW was at their prime with that car, an absolute classic.