• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Accleration or Top Speed?

Accleration or Top Speed?

• Acceleration

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Top Speed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mr_diss

I'd rather have acceleration.... Much more useful. I might have answered differently if I lived in Germany though.

exactly, its not like ur ever going to hit the top-speed on your car... well apart from the germans

I can count the number of times I've been over 100 on one hand. I don't understand the obsession with top speed and that magical 200 mph.

you can't count the number of times you've been over 100mph?... that saab reaches 100mph without breaking a sweat!

Re: Accleration or Top Speed?

mr_diss said:
I'd rather have acceleration.... Much more useful. I might have answered differently if I lived in Germany though.
It's not like we're constantly driving at 300 km/h on the Autobahn. :lol: Acceleration is much more important in everyday life ie. overtaking grandpa with hat.

100mph ... that's 160km/h right?
been once at that speed with my CR-V ...
130 is usually the top speed I travel on the freeway ... the speed just before your license would be suspended in NSW ...

Acceleration, of course.
Never reached the top speed of my car, which is supposedly around 230 (~143 mph) km/h. Only done ~210 (~130 mph) while overtaking a very long line of cars on long stretch of straight country road.

andyhui01 said:
Australia is the worst place in the world to speed... they nail you for going 110 in a 90

They will actually get you for going 100 in a 90...

Ive been done for 72 in a 50 in the past, so its not that bad.

Naturally, acceleration is the best, but you also want that top end for the track (cough) :)

acceleration is better .

how are you going to get to that top speed anyway

My car is drag limited to a hair over 130mph. Even if I had 5 times the power, I doubt it'll break 150mph without doing some serious aerodynamic modifications.

I don't care. Off the line, my car takes off well. My 50-100mph acceleration is swift too. That's all I need for the road.

Plus, a roadcar isn't very stable close to 200mph. On what circuit would you have enough pavement to go that fast anyways? You need something like a 3 mile straightaway!

andyhui01 said:
you can't count the number of times you've been over 100mph?... that saab reaches 100mph without breaking a sweat!
I know, but I live in the Northeastern United States. Much too crowded on the highways here to go really fast. I try to go the speed limit because it's so much less stressful to not have to watch for cops. That and I get obscenely good gas mileage. But if I'm not paying attention the saab easily runs away and does 90 without even trying. Low drag + insane torque = mad highway pulling power. If I floored it at 80 mph I could probably be at the 155 limiter in about a minute, in fifth gear.

I nearly always hit 100 if I'm on a longish journey.

If a car is geared for the 0 - 60 then generally the cruising MPG isn't as good as it means that if you're driving at 100 then the engine & trans will be running at their maximum which isn't good for life expectancy.

If your car will do 150 you're unlikely to often reach that so less likely to put your car under strain.

Also it's pants to have a car run out of breath at 100 as it means that it'll be revving it's tits off when on the motorway and it's nicer knowing that your car has a lot left even if you don't use it.

I like a car that launches well and is still good for 150, not bothered about going quicker as I get scared.

Matthew

Australia is the worst place in the world to speed... they nail you for going 110 in a 90

From now on, each time you think something about taxes, fines or whatever
bad about motoring is extreme, look to Norway and it will be worse... They could
nail you for 100 in a 90 on a bad day

I know someone who got a ?60 fine and 3 points for doing 32mph in a 30.... I thought that was quite harsh!

We have a Zero Tolerant policy on a lot of roads, here. That's right, ZERO. If you do 51 on a 50 zone, you're nailed. :wall: