"Act of Valor" - A motion picture featuring active navy SEALS!

avanti

Forum Addict
Car(s)
5 cars + 8 motorcycles
valor_primary.jpg

When the rescue of a kidnapped CIA operative leads to the discovery of a deadly terrorist plot against the U.S., a team of SEALs is dispatched on a worldwide manhunt. As the valiant men of Bandito Platoon race to stop a coordinated attack that could kill and wound thousands of American civilians, they must balance their commitment to country, team, and their families back home.

Each time they accomplish their mission, a new piece of intelligence reveals another shocking twist to the deadly terror plot, which stretches from Chechnya to the Philippines and from Ukraine to Somalia. The widening operation sends the SEALs across the globe as they track the terrorist ring to the U.S.-Mexico border, where they engage in an epic firefight with an outcome that has potentially unimaginable consequences for the future of America.

Act of Valor has an unusual backstory.
The film, directed by Mike "Mouse" McCoy and Scott Waugh, started out as a training video for Navy SEALS. The Navy liked what they saw so much that they decided to turn it into a documentary.

Then, they decided to make a feature, and hired screenwriter Kurt Johnstad (300) to create a fictional story about a squad that goes on a covert mission to recover a kidnapped CIA agent.

Another interesting aspect of the upcoming feature, which will hit theaters on February 17, is that the SEALS are played by actual SEALS. The bad guys, however, are played by actors, including Emilio Rivera and Roselyn Sanchez.

The Navy retained the right to review footage for security reasons, and has signed off on the film.

?The story is fictional, but the weapons and tactics are real,? reads text on the screen in the trailer.

The trailer shows a dramatic story of Navy SEALS on a dangerous rescue mission. There are plenty of guns, explosions and underwater mission scenes to be visually appealing, and the tale is apparently based on a true story.

?You live your life by a code. It?s your shoreline, it?s what guides you home,? says on SEAL in the video. ?Trust me, you?re always trying to get home.?

Filming took place in Cambodia where an explosion was shot in Phnom Penh with 300 children as extras.[6] Scenes were shot in San Diego at Blue Foot Bar and in a house in the North Park area.[7] Other locations included Mexico, Puerto Rico, [7] Ukraine, Florida,[7] and at the John C. Stennis Space Center in Mississippi.[8] The crew filmed at Navy training sites to provide realistic settings, such as a drug cartel base, a terrorist camp on an isolated island, and a smuggler's yacht.[5]

Cinematographer Shane Hurlbut used a Canon EOS 5D Mark II camera with Zeiss ZF and Panavision Primo lenses. The cameras followed the SEALs' planned out missions in the film.[3] Hurlbut used an 18mm Zeiss ZF mounted on the SEALs' helmets to capture their point of view. The 25mm Zeiss ZF was used to capture natural light coming through windows. The 21mm Zeiss ZF was used as a stake cam so a truck could drive over it.[8] The Navy held final cut privileges[3] in order to remove any frames to address security concerns and kept raw footage to use for real-life training and other purposes.

Trailer 1:

Trailer 2:

[video]http://www.movieweb.com/movie/act-of-valor/trailer-2[/video]

:woot:

Holy shit this looks epic!

Last edited:
Australia's SAS soldiers aren't allowed to have their faces appear in television, newspapers or magazines. The SEALS are allowed to star in movies?!? Makes it a bit hard to disavow them in the future if they are captured or killed on a mission the US would rather not admit to carrying out.

Oh, okay. That would make more sense.

I'm sure the action will be both spectacular and authentic, but what will the acting be like?

I've been fortunate enough to meet a couple. While I don't know the deep psyche of them as a whole, the ones I met were both very serious about anything they took on. Yet, knew when to joke around too. As if everything was taken to this sort of next level, but knew their vulnerabilities. I imagine, with some acting training, they won't be too bad.

Then, they decided to make a feature, and hired screenwriter Kurt Johnstad (300) to create a fictional story about a squad that goes on a covert mission to recover a kidnapped CIA agent.

So can I expect all non white, homosexual, and/or, disfigured people to be evil then? :p

I've been fortunate enough to meet a couple. While I don't know the deep psyche of them as a whole, the ones I met were both very serious about anything they took on. Yet, knew when to joke around too. As if everything was taken to this sort of next level, but knew their vulnerabilities. I imagine, with some acting training, they won't be too bad.

I agree. I dated a girl who's father was an ex-seal. He could also outrun me at a dead sprint in his wheelchair for the first 50 yards or so.

Once baby sat for a SEAL platoon. No joke, last night in town and they wanted some adult time with the wives. If you've ever baby sat you know the fear of harm coming to the child - now imagine sitting for a whole platoon. Tons o fun.

Look forward to this movie, should be interesting.

A documentary would have been cool, but a feature with the argument "real seals hurdurr" is lame, I don't care if they are actors or not if it's a movie. I won't even watch this.

I've seen it too, Action is awesome, no joke. The rest is crap. Said to the missus it looked like a recruitment film, then read a movie review saying the same thing.

Saw the movie tonight.

A lot of people criticize the acting, but in my opinion it wasn't any worse than you average action movie. The action is awesome, its very realistic, the equipment is awesome, the cinematography is stunning, overall I think its a very good movie, certainly one of the best war/military movies out there.

Ignore the pacifist critics and see it!

8.5/10!

40736_front.jpg

Entertaining little action film, but they really should have just hired actors. The dudes in it really are that bad.
The fact that Christian Bale isn't really Batman doesn't take anything away from those movies.
Also, anyone else find the end credits utterly hilarious?

"A MOTION PICTURE FEATURING ACTIVE DUTY NAVY SEALS"

How are these Seals allowed to show their faces on film? Here in Australia, active duty S.A.S. troopers would never be allowed to do that.