Adam Carolla on the track [Video]

Wow, he is painful to watch. I can't believe so many of you like it.

Adam Carolla, "I HAVE TO SCREAM AT THE MICROPHONE BECAUSE I KNOW NOTHING I'M SAYING IS OF ANY IMPORTANCE AND THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET ANYONE TO LISTEN TO ME."

man, that video bothered me, I really hope that he isn't all "We are 'murican!" the whole time... that would annoy the piss out of me, watching 45 min of this Ferrari is Murican!

man, that video bothered me, I really hope that he isn't all "We are 'murican!" the whole time... that would annoy the piss out of me, watching 45 min of this Ferrari is Murican!

Uh....what? And it's not like Clarkson's "Makes ya proud to be British" exclamations are any more rooted in reality. I'm looking forward to this thing finally coming out. Let's just hope it doesn't take the Duke Nukem Forever development path.

Okay, I got my look at it, and it looks like we have our Clarkson. NEXT!

Wouldn't the American pronunciation have come first? I know thats a joke but still...

Why would it be American? We don't know who even named it a Jaguar, was it taken from an Aztec/Myan language? Is it actually Spanish? Considering they are more common in the Spanish speaking parts of the world I'd wager somewhere near the last 3 options.

To quote Wikipedia (for real)
The etymology of the word jaguar is unclear. Some sources suggest a borrowing from the South American Tupi language to English via Portuguese,[5] while others attribute the term to the related Guaran? languages. In the Tupi language, the original and complete indigenous name for the species is jaguara, which has been reported as a denotation for any carnivorous animal[5][6]?in the compound form jaguaret?, -et? means "true".[6] In the related Guaran? languages, yaguaret? has been variously translated as "the real fierce beast",[7] "dog-bodied",[8] or "fierce dog".[9] Early etymological reports were that jaguara means "a beast that kills its prey with one bound," and this claim persists in a number of sources.[10] However, this has been challenged as incorrect.[6] In many Central and South American countries, the cat is referred to as el tigre ("the tiger").

Last edited:
The last sentence of that quote doesn't even have anything to do with the word.

My half-assed explanation:
Jaguars are common on the continent of South America, on which the countries of Uruguay and Paraguay. It is likely that the word originated in a South American native language (possibly Guaran?). The G-U-A of Uruguay, Paraguay, and Guaran? are all pronounced "gwa", thus it is likely the proper pronunciation in the word Jaguar.

Etymology Online said:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=jaguar
big cat of the Americas (Felis onca), 1604, from Port. jaguar, from Tupi jaguara, said to be a name "denoting any larger beast of prey." Also a type of British-made car; in this sense the abbreviation Jag is attested from 1959.
Assuming Portuguese pronunciations are similar to Spanish ones, the Americans are doing it right. Now can we get back on topic and talk about Carolla's bright future now?

I think that we are a bit spoilt on this Forum - we are used to extremely good photography, quality music (in the BBC2 rips at least) and well groved in banter between the three presenters. Lets give Gear a bit of a break many of the best shows take a little time to settle in - lets just say this has potential, I think they need to spend a little more money, and get used to each other and it will probably be OK - I am hopeful.

I think that we are a bit spoilt on this Forum - we are used to extremely good photography, quality music (in the BBC2 rips at least) and well groved in banter between the three presenters. Lets give Gear a bit of a break many of the best shows take a little time to settle in - lets just say this has potential, I think they need to spend a little more money, and get used to each other and it will probably be OK - I am hopeful.

Oh, absolutely. But Adam Carolla is horrible. It doesn't matter how much good music you play, or the angle of the camera, or the dollars you spend. The guy is just crap. And nearly as I can tell, he's a bad person too. The thing I see in each of the Top Gear and Fifth Gear presenters is they all appear to be good people. Someone I'd want to have lunch with. But I'd just as soon punch Adam in the mouth as look at him.

He could be a wonderful person, but that's not the impression I get. And television is all about impressions. A show like this needs more than car fans to survive, so it has to appeal to the masses while appeasing the car fanatics. I don't think he's going to make that happen.

I see in each of the Top Gear and Fifth Gear presenters is they all appear to be good people.

Jeremy clarkson is clearly an actual douchebag. Dont take your TV worship to extremes. Its all very entertaining when its safe and restrained on television, but i cant imagine he's a very nice guy at all in real life from what i've heard of him. Carolla on the other hand has never yelled at a child or spouted ignorant international propaganda from what i've seen.

Jeremy clarkson is clearly an actual douchebag. Dont take your TV worship to extremes. Its all very entertaining when its safe and restrained on television, but i cant imagine he's a very nice guy at all in real life from what i've heard of him. Carolla on the other hand has never yelled at a child or spouted ignorant international propaganda from what i've seen.

Disagree - I've no problem with JC's behaviour, he's got every right to tell a kid off when he's taking a photo of him sleeping - kid's parent needs a good slapping too. Yes he's a celeb, but that doesn't give people the right to invade his personal space or privacy.

I've never been annoyed with someone taking my photo, sleeping or not. Some creepy 50 year old taking pictures of my (nonexistant) kids or wife/girlfriend, maybe. Me? Honestly?

And why is he "a little shit"? Because he went against the will of our lord and saviour, jesus "infallible" clarkson?

The whole concept of taking pictures of people in public is a really odd one to me. I am a photographer and I have a really hard time taking someone's picture either without their consent or without the preconceived notion that it won't be displayed publicly until I get their consent. That aside ...

Jeremy Clarkson is primarily a journalist. Maybe more of an editorialist, but also a comedian and car junky. Whether or not he's a douche bag, I don't know. I've never met him. The impression I get from what I have seen and read is that he has a bizarre sense of humor and is at times a grumpy old man. And he apparently has the hots for a selection of younger British women - can you blame him? Adam Carolla, on the other hand, appears to be a professional douche bag. I don't know if he's a step up or down from the previous suspect host, Jay Leno. Frankly I think Jay is a no talent ass clown. But that's a different topic all together.

Mark my words, you drivers of cars, Adam Carolla will be bad for this show in more ways than simply making it not good. I believe he will give a bad name to people who like performance vehicles.

Unfortunately all I've done here is say how bad I think certain people are, and given no alternatives. That makes me a hypocrite, as that course of action always irritates the piss out of me when my friends do it. So tonight I'll think about who I would have host an American version of a Top Gear-esque show and let you know.

And why is he "a little shit"? Because he went against the will of our lord and saviour, jesus "infallible" clarkson?

Nothing to do with Clarkson - taking a photo of anyone sleeping without their permission isn't on, they've every right to take offence to it. To be honest it's more the parents that are the shits - they shouldn't be letting their kid do that.

But hey, maybe I'm just old-fashioned and still believe in the concept of respect...