Adrian and his trusty sidekick crossing the Americas - Summer-Fall 2015

Things are looking up, and we're leaning towards GO for US trip 2015...
EDIT: I should elaborate. I've been given a preliminary yes from doctor - i'm due for a full checkup mid-may that will be the deciding decision.

Do we have any FGers near New York? If the car arrives before me i'd need someone to either go there and drive it somewhere, or pick it up via trailer (if they can't drive on .no plates.) You'll be compensated of course.

Last edited:
We got at least prizrak in New York.

If I was Emarline, I wouldn't mind going down from Connecticut to drive Ronja.

I can help pick it up, don't have access to trailer tho (nor have ever towed anything so would be scared lol). Just give me the details whenever it gets closer to go time ;)

Awesome :D

Then if i get a final OK, it's on to apply for a Carnet de Passage en douane (CPD) from NAF Norway, then if she passes those tests it's just a matter of booking flight and shipping, plus final negotiations with insurance.

Last edited:
Things are looking up, and we're leaning towards GO for US trip 2015...
EDIT: I should elaborate. I've been given a preliminary yes from doctor - i'm due for a full checkup mid-may that will be the deciding decision.

Do we have any FGers near New York? If the car arrives before me i'd need someone to either go there and drive it somewhere, or pick it up via trailer (if they can't drive on .no plates.) You'll be compensated of course.

Boston's not too far away. We got a whole ton of members there. One even has an SUV. SUV are good at towing, right?

If I was Emarline, I wouldn't mind going down from Connecticut to drive Ronja.

Hell, I wouldn't mind going over from Detroit to drive Ronja :lol:

Last edited:
We could always get a trio of cars to tow in a troikaschlepp. I'm sure that could never go wrong.

We could always get a trio of cars to tow in a troikaschlepp. I'm sure that could never go wrong.

Yes. Your Jag, Lev's Miata and Ronja towing the Blizzard.

Adrian, please remind me when you'll be in LA. I will definitely get you on the Hooniverse Podcast. And possibly The Smoking Tire.

Have a truck and trailer, but down in North Carolina. Would take some advance planning, but can assist with pickup/transport/storage if needed.

Ooh just saw this thread (thanks CrzRsn). As mentioned upthread, there are several FGers around Boston and we'd be happy to show you around New England. There are some great roads around here, Mt Washington auto road in NH, and lots of car shows.

Victor and I were digging around the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic and found out that anyone here could drive on the .no plates. At least according to our interpretation, all thats needed is for the cars to have front and rear plates, one of those oval N (for Norway) stickers on the back, the vehicle registration on the driver at all times, and if the driver happens to be someone other than the owner - a notarized letter from the owner giving that person permission to drive the car. I'm sure the shipping broker will probably fill you in on all the exact details.

That is what it says in the Vienna Convention, but it seems that the US is not on board with it, falling back on the Geneva convention of 1949... which I haven't found specific wording on yet.

All of this is awesome! Cool of you all to show such enthusiasm :D I'll contact some of you closer when i have a more set timetable for when i'll be where etc. - you too BlaRo, and podcasts sounds awesome!

EDIT: I might to straight to Boston after getting the car, then - how is the temporary living situation there? Hotels? Or can anyone spare a couch for a day or two? :D

Last edited:
Cars current insurance comany eventually declined my application for a temporary out-of-continent exclusion to it's insurance plan, for completely silly reasons. Looking into other companies now. However, reading up on it i'm finding forum posts saying some US companies will offer car insurance to foreigners traveling in the states? Most seem to indicate it has to be done in-person though, which might become a problem - i can't really afford to spend a week waiting for beurocracy when i get there.

Is there any companies in the states that'll insure by VIN? Maybe i can get the car added to my grandfathers (lives in Florida) insurance or a friends'.

Dr_Grip, how did you insure Lucille in the states?

All of this is awesome!
EDIT: I might to straight to Boston after getting the car, then - how is the temporary living situation there? Hotels? Or can anyone spare a couch for a day or two? :D
Assuming I'm in town when you get here, I do have a couch, but do you need a place to be wheelchair accessible?

As long as you can carry him up the stairs (not difficult, he can't be more than about 55lbs soaking wet!) pretty much anywhere is accessible for Adrian. He can haul himself up through his own sunroof after all.

Cars current insurance comany eventually declined my application for a temporary out-of-continent exclusion to it's insurance plan, for completely silly reasons. Looking into other companies now. However, reading up on it i'm finding forum posts saying some US companies will offer car insurance to foreigners traveling in the states? Most seem to indicate it has to be done in-person though, which might become a problem - i can't really afford to spend a week waiting for beurocracy when i get there.

Is there any companies in the states that'll insure by VIN? Maybe i can get the car added to my grandfathers (lives in Florida) insurance or a friends'.

Dr_Grip, how did you insure Lucille in the states?

Problem here is that every state handles insurance differently. Here in Michigan it can be done entirely over the web. No one from any agency has ever even seen me or my cars.