Adrian and his trusty sidekick crossing the Americas - Summer-Fall 2015

If you make it to Utah I'd be interested in a meetup and maybe joining you for a part of your trip. There's tons of interesting stuff out here, not the least the 5 National parks, Zions, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, and Capitol Reef.
I highly recommend Zions, Bryce, and Canyonlands; Burr Trail is very interesting, but there's some dirt road to traverse (very nice road, just some washboard.)
Moki Dugway is interesting too, and Lake Powell. You shouldn't miss Monument Valley either.

In terms of non-landscape (And more northern Utah) type things, there is Miller Motorsports park, which has open track days 1 Wednesday a month, and of course, the Bonneville Salt Flats.

If you make it to Utah I'd be interested in a meetup and maybe joining you for a part of your trip. There's tons of interesting stuff out here, not the least the 5 National parks, Zions, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, and Capitol Reef.
I highly recommend Zions, Bryce, and Canyonlands; Burr Trail is very interesting, but there's some dirt road to traverse (very nice road, just some washboard.)
Moki Dugway is interesting too, and Lake Powell. You shouldn't miss Monument Valley either.

In terms of non-landscape (And more northern Utah) type things, there is Miller Motorsports park, which has open track days 1 Wednesday a month, and of course, the Bonneville Salt Flats.
Cool! Adding you in :D
Do you know when Bonneville generally hosts events?

That looks like an amazing roadtrip.
If you do make it to Montreal or Quebec City, give me a call, we have to meet for a drink :cheers:

Edit: Also, if you end up driving near the NC/Tenn border, you might want to check out the Tail of the Dragon:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dea...234824fb11a30!2m2!1d-83.91965!2d35.466783!1m0
Definitely added, both of them! Would be nice to see you again :D

Now i've run into an issue. New Google maps only allows five layers, or ten if i pay, and every driving direction i add counts as a separate layer - so i'm at full capacity now with all the dots and four roads. Which makes no sense to mee, seeing as i can add as many markers as i want within one layer - wouldn't it make sense to put all the driving directions in one layer too?

Speed week is usually mid august (8th-14th this year, though canceled due to rain) but the flats are usually open to the public year round, and it's safe to drive on the salt pretty much any time it's been dry for a while. I haven't been myself, and Blind IO might know more since he lives in Salt Lake City and is closer.

I bet July is nice to drive on the salt. We usually don't get much precipitation in early to mid July.

I know SCTA runs more land speed racing in September too...

On a scale from 1-10, how difficult is it for a non-american to insure something in the states? Does car insurance allow insurance by VIN for instance? What's needed?
Turns out my insurance company doesn't want to deal with US bureaucracy and refuses to insure the car over there :lol:

Other than that i've gotten confirmed quotes from shipping company, all that's left beides insurance is pinning down dates really.

On a scale from 1-10, how difficult is it for a non-american to insure something in the states? Does car insurance allow insurance by VIN for instance? What's needed?
Turns out my insurance company doesn't want to deal with US bureaucracy and refuses to insure the car over there :lol:

Other than that i've gotten confirmed quotes from shipping company, all that's left beides insurance is pinning down dates really.

In normal situations, it all depends on the state, but I feel like the biggest hurdle will be not having a US address. I suggest calling a few of the larger companies like GEICO, StateFarm, Liberty Mutual etc.

Swing through Phoenix and I'll definitely try to come say hello.

I know it's not quite what you want but can't you rent something like a Charger or Camaro with hand controls? Hoonage aplenty, probably cost you less, insurance is part of the package...

....and you'll have more room for many things since you won't need to carry Wolf in the trunk to fix the inevitable issues Ronja is going to throw at you on the way. :tease:

Let me put it to you this way - you have the means to bring your kids to Disney Land in Orlando, but someone there offers you take their kids loyal dogs on leashes instead and pay for your flight over. Do you say yes?

Last edited:
1393754309825.jpg

When will you people understand, Adrian doesn't care about not spending money.

Only wastefully spending money, or needlessly. But to answer your questions, MWF - there's only clip-on solutions for that. And those suck. Plus V12 >>>>>> Murican V8. And the price difference is negligeble. This trip is to do exactly what i want, not some half-assed thing.

Plus several prominent car review people (*cough* TST, RCR) has shown interest in testing it. And you know me, can't pass on whoring my cars out like that.

Last edited:
Adrian, if you do the trip, would you terribly mind picking up a gearbox for Lucille on the way?

If you can have it in Los Angeles by the time i leave i can stick it in the trunk for you - can't haul it cross-country, sadly.

A guy I know lives in Altadena. He tracks a Porsche 914, he'll understand.

I was just speculating. I know you well enough to know that you are doing exactly what you want, where and how and I applaud you for doing it. Just playing Devil's Advocate.

I just can't think of a single roadtrip you have done in Ronja that didn't involve fail of some sort. Have you asked Spectre to comb junkyards and assemble a cache of 8er parts that can be FedExed anywhere in the US at short notice? ;)

If you haven't finalized your route, id take a look at this route. Hits all major landmarks in the continental US. Its not automotive themed but may help find lesser known landmarks.

My mom suggested that that route to me on my Facebook... I'm not a fan, but funny how Adrian came up there too :lol:

IQ0goT7.png

Adrian, you'll have to remind me when you'll be in LA...

Adrian, you'll have to remind me when you'll be in LA...
Well, i hate to be the bringer of sad news but it might not happen this year. Due to a health deteriorating quicker than expected my biggest adventure yet might have to be postponed. Some might already know this, but the original plan was to sneak this trip in between end of internship and a major back surgery because who knows, i might not be able to do shit like this after. The surgery has been on hold (because i've been too skinny) for about four years now, and it has sadly become clearer and clearer over the last six months that it has to take urgent prioroty. I may not even be able to finish my internship. But don't worry, thread will stay here and open if admins allow. This will happen. Just most likely not this year. At least now i have all i need to make this happen. I've found a customs broker in Norway that'll help me get the car through with proper papers, a shipping company that'll allow me to go both ways with the same broker, and an insurance company that gets my jam and will allow temporary travel out of EU.

Rock on :wheelchair:

Damn, man, really sorry to hear that. :hug: