Advice: Motorbikes

Big update: saw a lightly disassembled Yamaha YBR125 in the classifieds, and just took the leap and bought it. Going to pick it up tomorrow; it's in west Sussex. It's currently a non-runner but the pics showed all the parts, and they were in good nick so I'll just clean and reassemble.

Here is the ad:

Yamaha YBR125, 10.5hp single-cylinder, increased to 12hp with exhaust replacement, calculating based on weight the top speed has been increased to 60mph. Good brakes, exhaust, engine, tyres, gearbox, gauges and misc. items. Engine off the bike, brakes in bits but all clean and there. Good candidate for reassembly or restoration, could get it running in 2 days or less. Was a runabout that I was restoring but moving and need to sell quick. ?340 OBO.

I talked him down to an even ?300 on the phone. I still have ?200 to play with, so I'll be looking for some performance upgrades, maybe to make the top speed 80mph or so to give it motorway viability.

Sadly, I can't post pics because I haven't got a camera, but I'll keep everyone informed.

Any ideas for simple performance mods?

Nothing like displacement :p
There should be lots of performance mods for it. Very very popular commuter bike in the city.

There are no performance mods because you ain't going to get any more power out of it realistically. The best you can do for speed is buy the sports screen which might give you a few mph.
Is it the carbed model or the FI model as the former has a few extra bhp?

It's a 2-stroke. Moar power is always there, the question is: How long do you want it to last?

:oops: Since it was a 125 i assumed that it was a 2-stroker.. And that makes more power a tad trickier.

It's the FI if it's 10.5hp

It'll do motorway fine.. But at top speed, you do start feeling REALLY sorry for the engine.. :lol: I used to just tootle with the lorrys doing 50mph

You won't regret it! It's an ace little bike.

Update again:
Just picked it up... it was in good condition for the most part, though the assembled part was dirtier than it looked in pictures. Got it home, it's lying in pieces now in my part of the garage. I've got the next couple of days off, so I'll be reassembling it at James May speed to be sure I get everything right. On the way home, I picked up a shortened exhaust, which the shop said should increase power to 11-12hp.

Time to get the tools out again...

ANOTHER UPDATE:
Well, it's back together, and in good shape too. Little bugger started up on first try :D.
Took it for a ride with the new exhaust and it pulls well. On the motorway I managed 110km/h (65mph), but that's pushing the envelope; however, it will cruise comfortably at 100km/h. Also, like my Miata and the Beetle I drove, feels much faster than it's actually going. Acceleration felt clean and smooth, gearshifts are a bit slow but very crisp. All in all, it seems like a great little bike and I'll enjoy working on it and riding it.

My motorbike licence is outdated now, so I'll be getting a new one soon. Got any riding tips? The last motorcycle I actually owned was a bicycle with a 2-stroke on it, so I'm a bit new to more "official" bikes.