Advice needed, I'm getting an EOS 350D

v0od0o

Car(s)
981 CS
Alright photography buffs, I finally gave in and will be ordering my EOS350D pretty soon (as in this week hopefully)

So now I need advice on everything else, lenses, carrying bag, and anything else you think is indispensable or useful. I already have a tripod so I don't need one.

Oh and do you think I should get the black or silver body? I can't really make up my mind on that one.

I'll be on a kinda tight budget for now but I'll prioritize the list and keep on investing as I go.

For now this is what I have in my shopping cart:
- EOS350D camera body only
- 2GB CF card
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

I'd really appreciate your help, and I'm already decided on the Rebel XT so would be great if we stay away from nikon vs. canon debates :)
If you already know links for lowest prices where I can get your recommendations online it'd be great, if you can't it's alright I'll look for it, you just name it :)

Thanks in advance guys.

Crumpler 5million or 6 million dollar home bag. it's PERFECT and you wont look like a douche when carrying your camera around!

hehehehehe

Also, forget the kit lens. just buy a tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for around $330USD. I have it and have been using it non stop during my on going backpacking through europe. But i have to say i keep saying to myself "i wish i had a wide angle lens."

Thanks!
Bag added.

I knew about the tamron lens and am planning to get it, but at $330 it'll have to wait a bit till I recover (or get my tax returns)

I'd read everywhere that the kit lens is crappy, but at just $70 more than the body only, is it still bad value? Should I just get it to use with the 50mm f/1.8 till I get the tamron and a wide angle lens?

Other good and affordable lenses?

I also added some tiffen filters (warming (812), polarizer, and UV) for the 50mm f/1.8 does anybody haver experience with tiffen filters in general, good, bad?

Might a well get the kit lens as well, it'll allow you some wide-angle shots in a pinch. You'll end up getting rid of it, but it'll be OK until then.

Don't bother with a warming filter, your camera autocorrects white balance and you can add a billion filters for free in Photoshop. Polarizer is good (buy 2 for stackability), and UV is somewhat useless except for protecting the least important lens element.

Also check out the price on the battery grip, unless you have tiny hands.

i've a lowepro steath reporter CLICK HERE for my 20d. it's large enough to easily carry the camera body, 2 non-tele lenses, and a flash unit. it's got a lot of pockets for other stuff too like CF cards (comes with card wallet). and best of all, it's weather proof!

Thanks guys!

I just ordered the body only because I wanted it in black and they only had the kit with the silver body :( Everybody says it's bad anyway so I'm not too upset about it, I'll have to do with the 50mm f/1.8 for a while I guess.

The filter kit is about the same price as one filter that's why I thought I might as well get the warming and UV filters. But what is it that you said about stacking polarizers? Can you put more than one polarizer on the lens at once?

Any recommendations on a wide angle lens? I should be going to either hawaii or vancouver island on 4th of july and I bet I'll need a wide angle for photos of the beach and nature. Something good enough but doesn't break the bank hopefully :oops:

v0od0o said:
But what is it that you said about stacking polarizers? Can you put more than one polarizer on the lens at once?

Yep, you can stack most filters. If you stack 2 linear polarizers, you get what basically amounts to an adjustable neutral density filter - which is used for when you want to artificially darken your image so you can do ultra-long exposures.

BerserkerCatSplat said:
Yep, you can stack most filters. If you stack 2 linear polarizers, you get what basically amounts to an adjustable neutral density filter - which is used for when you want to artificially darken your image so you can do ultra-long exposures.

Hmm, interesting. But wouldn't you want to be using circular polarizers with this camera anyway? Would this effect still work with them?

Yeah I read that you should usually use circular polarizers for AF on Digital Cameras to work correctly...

Got the camera!! I'm in looooove :love:

I still can not believe how shallow the DOF is with this lens at f1.8, it's just insane!

http://img147.imageshack.**/img147/9418/img00115vc.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.**/img217/194/rawimg00009vi.jpg