Advice on Boston?

PelicanHazard

Car(s)
'13 Dart, '03 Ranger, '20 390 Duke, '22 K16GTL
I'm setting up plans to visit a friend in Boston. I'm crashing on her couch and finding cheap airfare's taken care of. The question I have is how much of Boston I can reasonably experience in less than a week (don't want to miss too much work).

She works an internship, so she can only show me places on the weekend as her obligations allow, but she's fine with me staying longer as long as I don't mind walking around Boston by myself.

So to anyone who's been in Boston, how long would you recommend I stay? 3 days? More, less? I am a huge history buff, so seeing as many notable colonial/Revolutionary landmarks as possible is something of a goal for the trip.

Just off the top of my head...Freedom Trail is what you really want to see, and should take about 3 hours. Three days should be good to see a lot of stuff there. Go to the Museum of Science, maybe see a show at Symphony Hall, visit the Museum of Fine Arts, and walk around the North End searching for good Italian food.

I'd shoot Labcoatguy a PM, he lives right in Cambridge.

You rang? :D

Museums are everywhere, and the local colleges and universities (Harvard, MIT, Northeastern, Boston University, and Boston College) all have their fair share of good museums in addition to the ones BlaRo mentioned above. Arts are everywhere as well; the theater district downtown, Symphony Hall and its neighboring music schools, and indie theaters like the Coolidge Corner Theater and Somerville Theater have atypical events like silent movie nights/weeks; the Somerville Theater has the unique Museum of Bad Art in its basement. The USS Constitution (yes, that one) is at the end of the Freedom Trail in Charlestown Navy Yard so even if you don't walk the entire trail you can see that by itself. Also, Fenway Park is worth a visit whether you like, hate, or don't care about the Red Sox. Last but not least, the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline has car shows on summer weekends; it's quite a walk from the nearest public transportation route, but depending on the theme that weekend, it's worth it.

Last edited:
Go to Faneuil Hall, get Regina Pizzeria, be happy!

Except go to the north end one, it's where it's at. In terms of history..... If it's nice walk the freedom trail which is clearly marked by a red stripe on the pavement. Hang out on the Common and in the beautiful Public garden, walk around Harvard Sq. and visit the book and record shops around there...The Coolidge Corner Theatre is around the corner from my building and is awesome. There's great restaurants in this neighborhood too.

Hang out on the Common [...]
... features the worlds smallest suspension-bridge (if my travelguide is to be believed). You might never get a chance to see the longest suspension-bridge :clarkson: in the world (in Japan) ... but while you?re in Boston, check out the smallest ;)

I also really liked it at the Charles River Reservation ... and might I add Newbury Street as a recommendation? Not (only) for shopping, but for some nice old buildings and decent food. This is as close to England as you can get in the States I recon ... feelingwise at least :)

Stay as long as you can! There is SO much to do here. Many things are free on Fridays this Summer. Linkage below. Also many local libraries have discount passes to museums and such so have your friend look into those for you. Boston itself is very walkable and the T is great if you don't like walking or want to venture a little to the burbs. You can get a 7 day T pass for $15 which gives you unlimited bus and subway. Any questions feel free to ask :)

Free Fridays:
http://www.highlandstreet.org/index.php?id=79&option=com_content&view=article

And Boston.com (THe Boston Globe website) has a pretty nice Visiting Boston section:
http://www.boston.com/travel/boston/

And of course you MUST see Fenway Park !

Last edited:
You rang? :D

Museums are everywhere, and the local colleges and universities (Harvard, MIT, Northeastern, Boston University, and Boston College) all have their fair share of good museums in addition to the ones BlaRo mentioned above. Arts are everywhere as well; the theater district downtown, Symphony Hall and its neighboring music schools, and indie theaters like the Coolidge Corner Theater and Somerville Theater have atypical events like silent movie nights/weeks; the Somerville Theater has the unique Museum of Bad Art in its basement. The USS Constitution (yes, that one) is at the end of the Freedom Trail in Charlestown Navy Yard so even if you don't walk the entire trail you can see that by itself. Also, Fenway Park is worth a visit whether you like, hate, or don't care about the Red Sox. Last but not least, the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline has car shows on summer weekends; it's quite a walk from the nearest public transportation route, but depending on the theme that weekend, it's worth it.

If you do hit up Larz Anderson, I'm sure some of us could meet you there, it's usually a great show and I've already been to one this year.

Go to Faneuil Hall, get Regina Pizzeria, be happy!

Probably the best take-out pizza I know of, there's one in the food court of a local mall but I've never been to the original location.