Advice on computer build

SpitfireMK461

Car(s)
2013 Mini Cooper S
I plan on getting a new budget gaming computer in the near future. My current one is 6 years old and is really struggling to keep up. Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping up with tech so I'm not very confident in my build efficiency. I'm not looking for the fastest, just the most cost effective. It also needs some staying power.

This is the build I currently have at $685.
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17093785

I'm hoping my fellow forum members can advise on the parts. Where can I save some more money or where can I get a decent part upgrade for low cost increase. I don't want to get much higher in price and I'm also not looking to go down in performance.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm not really a gamer, so I can't comment on the GPU, but a couple of things anyway:
a) Do you intend to keep your current DVD-Drive?
b) Do you have all the required cables?
Also, I'd suggest an i5. I only have a german test at hand, but I'm sure you'll find one in english. Anyway, comparison i5 - 2300 (185$) vs. Phenom II X6 1100 (195$) (unfortunately, they didn't test your particular cpu), performance: i5 is 11% quicker, performance per watt : i5 is 48% (!) better. The difference to your CPU, at least in terms of performance, should be even greater.
Edit: Before narf gets here: SSD :p Seriously though, give it a thought.

Last edited:
If you're only doing gaming (no RAM intensive stuff like video- or image-editing) you could save some money by getting 4GB of RAM, which is still sufficient to play all modern games, and put that towards gettings a GTX 560 Ti over just a standard 560.
IMO the Phenom you picked is a good bang for the buck although like Psirus said, it's not really power-effici?nt.

Although if you would happen to find a few hundred bucks underneath your sofa I'd suggest going straight for a Intel Core i5-2500k with a P67 motherboard and all the other bells and whistles like 8GB RAM an the 560Ti just to make sure you're safe for the years coming.

Very important: DON'T BUY AMD NOW!!!!
- Next month AMD's new "Bulldozer" lineup will hit the market and will properly blow even Sandy Bridge away.

Like Jens says; Dont buy 8gb RAM. Buy 4GB and use the leftover money to opgrade to a GTX 560ti instead :)

IMO it's stupid to buy less than 1TB today. You pay almost no money for double the storage.

And also IMO I would go for a Corsair PSU instead of Antec. Corsair is simply known for making the best PSU and still be a affordable :)

Thanks for the input. I made an alternate build with an i5 2500k, but the additional $200 is a bit more than I'd like.

Especially thanks for the AMD tip. The current computer I have got screwed with the first Core 2 Duos being announced barely after I bought it.

If you're not rushed, wait for AMD to release their next gen bulldozer processors and 7000 series graphics.

If you're going with nvidia, use the extra money saved from 4GB of ram to get the 560 TI.

I like AMD more so if you want you can opt to get the 6870 or maybe even the 6950.