Aftermarket injection on a non-injected car, wich one should i choose?

Hemihead

Car(s)
Dacia Duster, Nissan WD21, Vaz 21023
As the topic says, in the future, i'm going to experiment with fuel injection on a carbed car (either my Vaz or a Peugeot 305 GT). I poked around the web, looking for a aftermarket injector system that would fit and i found... shedloads. Right now, the MegaSquirt system seems to be the best choice, but do you people have any other system to reccomend?

Well, there's Haltech, Electramotive and Wolf. They all have more capabilities than MegaSquirt but they're far more expensive and often use proprietary components. MegaSquirt, while not the simplest to install or configure, is by far the cheapest and uses commodity parts.

MegaSquirt is what Milltek and I are fitting to our Jaguars (see my Jaguars... thread in Post Your Car) - our original EFI system was an analog L-Jet system for which certain supporting parts are no longer available in acceptable quality. IMHO, the price differential between MS and, say, WolfEMS is not worth it unless you've got things like variable valve timing to control, which MS can't do.

Last edited:
Well, there's Haltech, Electramotive and Wolf. They all have more capabilities than MegaSquirt but they're far more expensive and often use proprietary components. MegaSquirt, while not the simplest to install or configure, is by far the cheapest and uses commodity parts.

MegaSquirt is what Milltek and I are fitting to our Jaguars (see my Jaguars... thread in Post Your Car) - our original EFI system was an analog L-Jet system for which certain supporting parts are no longer available in acceptable quality. IMHO, the price differential between MS and, say, WolfEMS is not worth it unless you've got things like variable valve timing to control, which MS can't do.

Yeah, i read about your Jag, nice car. :) Guess i have to check around a bit more and then find a suitable donor car to strip all the needed injector components from. Then, all i need is a load of time to configure it all. ;)

The hardest part of it all (having converted more than a couple cars to EFI) is going to be getting an EFI (port injection) manifold for your car. If they made a later version that had EFI and the manifolds fit, rejoice and get one complete with fuel rail and hardware (as well as the water rail, if it has one). If not, you'll either have to convert an existing manifold or come up with something custom, which is not a whole lot of fun.

Second most annoying thing - fitting the oxygen sensor.

Last edited:
The hardest part of it all (having converted more than a couple cars to EFI) is going to be getting an EFI (port injection) manifold for your car. If they made a later version that had EFI and the manifolds fit, rejoice and get one complete with fuel rail and hardware (as well as the water rail, if it has one). If not, you'll either have to convert an existing manifold or come up with something common, which is not a whole lot of fun.

Second most annoying thing - fitting the oxygen sensor.

Well, i am a certified welder so if the need for a manifold arises i'll just make my own out of either stainless or aluminium. Fuel rail and such might be a b*tch though.

That will certainly help. Fuel rail is available in pre-fab lengths - merely buy, cut to length, drill holes for fittings and bungs, weld/braze into place, weld the ends closed, then weld on mounting tabs.

Getting the manifold right... wellllll.... that's not so easy. Hopefully you can find one where the individual runners provide a point at which you can mount injector bungs so the spray pattern fires straight into the intake ports and at the back of the valve(s).

Last edited:
That will certainly help. Fuel rail is available in pre-fab lengths - merely buy, cut to length, drill holes for fittings and bungs, weld/braze into place, weld the ends closed, then weld on mounting tabs.

Getting the manifold right... wellllll.... that's not so easy. Hopefully you can find one where the individual runners provide a point at which you can mount injector bungs so the spray pattern fires straight into the intake ports and at the back of the valve(s).

The easiest then would be to convert the Peugeot since it's got a XU-engine, wich was available with fuel injection in the 205 and 405 models. From one of those, most of the things such as injectors, fuel rail and other stuff could be salvaged, hmmm... Need to think about that for a while.