Age difference in a relationship

:shakefist: Hey, mine engrish is usualy a big piece of better!

Reactions: MWF
Why doesn't Hotpants just snap a shot of him and his victim girlfriend, stick it in Post a Pic of Yourself and then we can all decide for ourselves just how creepy we think it is?

Why doesn't Hotpants just snap a shot of him and his victim girlfriend, stick it in Post a Pic of Yourself and then we can all decide for ourselves just how creepy we think it is?

'evidence'

1. Same sex marrigage and this situation are completely different and you know it.

2. And where is it legal for a 16 year old to date a 32 year old?

3. I bet the law says it is no longer molestation/rape by default when she has sex, ie, she can consent to sex. Also completely different.

4. And I bet the law was written in a way to protect the 19 yo -16 yo relationship, not this.

This post makes no sense.

1. Why? Both legal, both cause moral outrage among some.

2. The average age of consent around the world (and most of the US) is 16.

3. ?

4. Actually in some US states, even where the age of consent is 18, legal consent may be given at a much younger age (12 for example) if the couple are close-in-age. That's the law I believe you are referring to.

Last edited:
Some of you made the parallel with a 25-year-old girl dating a 40-year-old man, and claimed that it was much more acceptable. Only by your own moral perceptions. The fact of the matter is that such a relationship can be even more messed up than the one the OP has. That hypothetical 25-year-old is probably dating him for a certain precalculated reason (i.e. money), and he likes younger girls, but chances are that at 40 he already has another family and has abandoned them because he got bored, tired etc... How is that a morally acceptable relationship, and why don't we judge people like this?

I'm not trying to defend the OP in any way. I'm opposed to large age differences in any relationship. I just think we should judge him using the same standard as other relationships with big age differences.

Hi...I am that hypothetical 25 year old (actually i'm 24 and he's 44). As for my motives, he is on a casual wage, so it ain't money. He has never married and has no children. We're both studying, so we're at a similar stage in life, and we get along intellectually and emotionally and physically as well as two people ever could. Feel free to judge me, i'll just be over here not giving a rat's.

I don't think the issue is when an older man dates a younger woman. I think it's when the woman still has the word "teen" in her age and the man doesn't. People start to get uncomfortable with it.

This post makes no sense.

1. Why? Both legal, both cause moral outrage among some.

3. ?

4. Actually in some US states, even where the age of consent is 18, legal consent may be given at a much younger age (12 for example) if the couple are close-in-age. That's the law I believe you are referring to.

This.

And I'm willing to be that there isn't a single person posting in this thread who hasn't broken some kind of law at some point.

Limits are set for reasons. Blood alcohol, speed, ages and so on. I am personally all in favour of raising the age at which people can legally hold a driving license. Here it is 17 although I understand in most of the US it is 16.

Now think seriously for a moment about which is scarier. Someone of 16 engaged in legal sexual congress with another person, regardless of age, or someone of 16 in sole control of a ton and a half of metal travelling at 60mph?

Limits are set for reasons. Blood alcohol, speed, ages and so on. I am personally all in favour of raising the age at which people can legally hold a driving license. Here it is 17 although I understand in most of the US it is 16.

Now think seriously for a moment about which is scarier. Someone of 16 engaged in legal sexual congress with another person, regardless of age, or someone of 16 in sole control of a ton and a half of metal travelling at 60mph?

Honestly, I think younger people tend to be better drivers as their reactions and senses are a lot sharper. The only thing they don't have is experience. And raising the driving age does nothing to change that. You can raise it to 30 and you'll still have a bunch of inexperienced drivers on the road making rookie mistakes, they'll simply be 30 years old rather than 16. It's the very old drivers that tend to be the worst here. Most are scared to do even the speed limit, which is already artificially low and should be raised.

But personally, I don't really care what people chose to do with their lives, so long as it doesn't effect me and no one is getting hurt. Of course, a 32 year old could probably control and manipulate a 16 year old very easily, force her into things she might not be comfortable with, but who knows.

Quicker reactions sure, but most 16-24 year old guys believe that is enough, that they are the next Schumacher and on top of that are immortal. It is estimated that raising the driving age to 21 in the UK would reduce fatalities by over 20%.

Then again most of the ones stupid enough to kill themselves on the road are probably the ones you don't really want to breed anyway so I guess it balances out over time.

Hi...I am that hypothetical 25 year old (actually i'm 24 and he's 44). As for my motives, he is on a casual wage, so it ain't money. He has never married and has no children. We're both studying, so we're at a similar stage in life, and we get along intellectually and emotionally and physically as well as two people ever could. Feel free to judge me, i'll just be over here not giving a rat's.

You are not reading my posts right. I'm not judging HotPants, so why would I be judging you? Just because your relationship is functional doesn't mean that all other relationships between a 24 and a 44-year-old are like that. In fact, I'm willing to bet they aren't.

But just like you relationship is, by exception, good and moral, who is to say that the one HotPants has isn't the same way? He may be the exception from the whole pedobear stereotype.

Quicker reactions sure, but most 16-24 year old guys believe that is enough, that they are the next Schumacher and on top of that are immortal. It is estimated that raising the driving age to 21 in the UK would reduce fatalities by over 20%.

Then again most of the ones stupid enough to kill themselves on the road are probably the ones you don't really want to breed anyway so I guess it balances out over time.

I thought about that too. With age comes better judgment, but I think better judgment comes with experience as well. It seems like the feeling of invincibility doesn't necessarily reduce with age, but rather it reduces with experience. You think you're Michael Schumacher right up until something bad happens, either to yourself or a friend or family member. I don't think it's one of those things that suddenly disappears over night on your 21st birthday.

Heh, my eldest's Godmother is around 32 and for the last 6-7 years has been in a relationship with a guy who I know is well over 60. They are happy.

Although this is a woman who went to every date on the Moody Blues' last 3 UK tours so....... :dunno:

Here's a thought for you guys. I lost my virginity at 15. The first 3 women I slept with were 34, 29 and 28 respectively. They were not prostitutes and in all 3 cases I came on to them and not the other way around.

Is that still creepy or unnacceptable? Admittedly none of those developed into what you would call relationships but nonetheless.

Is that still creepy or unnacceptable?
Of course! You were involved.

*cough*

It's not just the ages, or the age gap, or the genders, or anything simply and easy to point at (or at least, it isn't for me). It depends on the people involved. Hotpants' actions and posts on this forum (past and present) cause me to question the health of this relationship.

It depends on the people involved. Hotpants' actions and posts on this forum (past and present) cause me to question the health of this relationship.

You realise of course I was, to a certain extent, playing Devil's Advocate and speaking very much on general terms?

With regards to Hotpants I agree that the evidence speaks for itself.

I've always suspected she was fucking him for the pension.
Basically I'm not okay with it when one of the parties in question is patently money grabbing. To me, that's just fucked up.
So calling one a money-grabber and kicking her out of your circle of friends on a "suspicion" is called being "open-minded" these days?

You guys are so of judgemental, it's really hard to deal with it sometimes.

And 16-year-olds, in Sweden (and the US), are still considered minors, as the age of majority/adulthood is 18. In other words, no matter how you shake it, it doesn't matter if it's legal; it's still a 32-year-old man dating a 16-year-old child. To me, that's morally wrong, and I stand by that.

MWF said:

Neither is more scary than the other to me.

Oh, and as far as I know, I have a clean record.