Ah, finally a car that runs...

Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

Now, it's not without fault. While it is very clean, had a big-ish overhaul just around 8kkm ago, and mostly rust free, it does have a ticking/rattling sound at the front of the engine. It's very hard to localize, but it's possible that VANOS unit is the source. While failure appears not to be fatal for the engine, it's still a costly procedure to let professionals repair the VANOS. Another possible source is the crank pulley. The bolt in front of the engine may be loose, because the toothed wheel and the pulley do have a bit of play in them. I plan to show it to some bmw experts tomorrow, hoping that tightening the bolt will solve the noise. Can't really do it myself, the bastard is torqued to something like 420 Nm.

The colour should be evident from the photo, Heathrow, I moved the sliders in photoshop until it looked realistic :) Of course under sodium lamp it's not going to be perfect, but the car is dark blue.

The wheels, while in my opinion ugly, will stay. These are just for the winter anyway. I haven't actually seen the summer wheels yet, the previous owner will deliver those later.

I bet you regret you didn't vote the engine now, do you? ;)

I still stand behind my bodywork vote, you'll plow it into a snowbank or a tree after saying "Watch this!" :p

Good luck MXM ^^.

In the meantime:

57_downarrow.gif

Don?t you get tired of this?:|

This is the rattle I'm talking about:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-m-G-SRU5E[/YOUTUBE]

Now on the video it sounds less like a VANOS and more like that crank pulley wobbling around... Well, I plan to have it looked at this evening, so it's all going to be clear soon ;)

Actually.......as this problem was known before, it shouldn't count as a breakdown...if something else in the Engine blows up though......

@Redliner: Note how everyone including MXM is laughing at it. We are obviously not getting tired of having fun. Unlike you <3

nicjasno: March 15th, when the good wheels go on... the new wheels.

I have to fix the mirror first and get the steering wheel, handbrake handle and gator leathered up.

nicjasno: March 15th, when the good wheels go on... the new wheels.

This is how it started with the A4 too: "New Wheels" ;)

Nicjasno already told us it's a purple Matiz, so don't keep that secrecy up...

I choose suspension in d-fence's doodle..... simply because It will inevitably need some money put into it, while the other things is just bad luck if it needs repairs..... bushings most likely.... :p its the safest choice :p

Last edited:
^I thought the same, mostly because a work colleague just put his Mondeo through it's MOT and they found both rear suspension arms were broken. Looks nice though.

Last edited:
Installed my radio from 944 (this car came without any), and it doesn't look very good :(

Needs something with amber backlight. Might as well find one with USB port I guess...

Here's a video for you. The rattle isn't VANOS, it's this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSsjPUVigco[/YOUTUBE]

And this is the schematic:

Belt Drive-Vibration Damper - BMW parts catalog

Two shops have said I need to replace the big vibration damper (#1). It has some kind of rubber ring (I didn't quite understand where and how). Apparently the rubber separates sometimes, making the wheel loose. The bad new is that it costs 550 EUR.

The good new is that I still disagree that the damper is the problem, if you watch the video closely, the 6 bolts around the crankbolt are rotating as well, meaning that the whole damper is rotating in whole. There is no play WITHIN it. And that leads us to the hub #6 or the woodruff key #8. That's <100 EUR. Will be a bitch to remove though, the crank bolt is 420 Nm or so. And you need to hold the crank still when undoing it, of course. So I'm taking it to one other shop tomorrow and will tell them to take the thing apart and look at what's wrong.

EDIT: They better find the replacement parts before the weekend...

Last edited: