Airplane or airport experiences...

Another Story (and I prob posted this before here somewhere) is about my first US-trip a couple of years ago ... getting onto the plane "here" in Europe was a right hassle with security turned up to 11. Never been searched so much and so thoroughly before any other flight within Europe.
Then the flight back to Europe the TSA guy just goes "walk through please". No unpacking my laptop, no taking of my shoes, no pat-down ... basically nothing compared to what they did on the flight to there. I was honestly a bit pissed about it because as a European it sort of felt like the US-authorities would not be holding up their part of the deal ... or that I?m just that harmless looking to americans but not fellow europeans :D

Just returned from Canada in a BA 744, New First Class. (I went out on Old First Class). Still too jetlagged to summarise much, but new First is quite excellent compared to old, only problem is the new fancy blind design means each seat gets one less window, and the multiple layers of plastic limits photo opportunities to nil.

Food was quite fantastic both directions, although I was ill on the inbound and didn't sample much. Service was impeccable, and the lounges were decent, although the benefits of First over Business was nothing inbound at Vancouver, except a less busy area. Outbound the Concorde Lounge features a full dining service, although I didn't use it.

Best thing about BA Lounge access is the arrivals lounge, after a long-haul flight the use of the excellent showers and a cooked breakfast is a life saver. I'll certainly pay for access to the arrivals lounge if I'm making any flights of my own accord in the future. (unlikely :lol:)

I've also flown Zoom 763s, Zoom 752s, Flybe Dash 8 Q400s (experienced a fantastic single gear landing), and BA 763.

A couple of days ago I was out flying the 787-8 of Norwegian Air Shuttle, one of the first low cost carriers to take delivery of these. Norwegian has used the media extensively to hype this aircraft to the point were it's almost like the second coming of christ, so this was a chance to see what the fuss is all about. Their first 787 (EI-LNA) was delivered last month, and they are using it on european routes from Oslo to "run it in" with their new crew. Destinations serviced with the 787 are from Oslo to Malaga, Alicante, Barcelona, Nice and London (LGW). I flew OSL-ALC.

9394905071_a31167947d_b.jpg

9394870095_73d1f28a78_b.jpg

Norwegian has ordered several of these, and will fly them on routes from OSL, ARN, and CPH to JFK, BKK, and MIA. Their version is fairly densely configured, with 291 seats, compared to United's 240. I was flying low fare, which means economy and a seat pitch of 31" (3+3+3 configuration), that's too little for me, so I reserved a seat with increased leg room. Ended up in 24J, which was nice, just behind the emergency exit:
9394781181_924743c96b_b.jpg

They do have a "premium class" with 38" pitch (2+3+2 configuration), which is like an average premium economy on a typical full service airline. I didn't go there as just 3,5 hours is a little bit too short to be worth paying 8x the price of regular economy, and there were a few seats with plenty of extra leg room to choose between in economy.

I was a bit lucky too, as I had that whole row of three seats to myself, one of the flight attendants were in 24G during take off and landing. Like I said, leg room was plentiful:
9394860467_fd21fed1af_b.jpg

9397472314_62c186c013_b.jpg

I had two episodes of Top Gear on my MacBook, which provided my IFE, so I didn't use the one embedded, only had a brief look at the 3D map:
9394750151_97c6c244ac_b.jpg

9394730597_d2eeb1a33a_b.jpg

To sum up, is this aircraft a revolution in air travel...? To the airlines it may represent a significant cost saving over something like a 767-200/300, but to most travelers, no, it's just like any other wide-body-jet, just newer with a fancier IFE and slightly bigger windows with a cool dimming feature, that's all... Some call it the 787 Nightmareliner, some the 787 Delayliner, others the 787 Fireliner. I would call it the 787 Hypeliner; It's a very great new plane, however it isn't the second coming of christ that Norwegian and the Norwegian tabloids have all hyped it up to be...

Their seats look as uncomfortable as ever.
Norwegian seems to like leather seats a lot... For better and for worse. They do give a certain amount of premium feel, however if you wear the "wrong" type of clothes, they tend to be slippery, and I tend to get a little damp from leather seats if I sit in them for a long time. I like SAS's new Recaro cloth seats better though...

On the 787 at least the first row of seats behind an exit were slightly narrower than usual, as the armrests were thicker as they had to house the folding table and the IFE-screen (usually found on the back of seat in front of you) That wasn't a problem for me, as I'm tall, but not very "wide"... :p

Over the weekend I flew to SF and back on Virgin America and it is officially my new favorite airline. It's just a shame that they only fly to a limited number of locations. Unless I'm going to LA or SF, it doesn't make sense for me to fly through those cities.

But anyway, bag check was $25 ($5 more than others, boo) but for $39 I could upgrade to exit row with free bag check. Great, right? Well I also get the priority line through security (no line basically), boarded right after first class, all the free drinks (even alcohol) and food I wanted, and all entertainment options on the TV. Awesome deal.

In other news, when it's foggy in SF, it sucks horribly and backs up the airport. Normally they land planes 2 at once, like this (my video):

[video=youtube;6tQsCTj-NGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQsCTj-NGc[/video]

But when it's foggy they can't so inbound planes get delayed and held at their departing airports. It ended up taking me an extra 4 hours to leave SF. :(

Norwegian seems to like leather seats a lot... For better and for worse. They do give a certain amount of premium feel, however if you wear the "wrong" type of clothes, they tend to be slippery, and I tend to get a little damp from leather seats if I sit in them for a long time. I like SAS's new Recaro cloth seats better though...

On the 787 at least the first row of seats behind an exit were slightly narrower than usual, as the armrests were thicker as they had to house the folding table and the IFE-screen (usually found on the back of seat in front of you) That wasn't a problem for me, as I'm tall, but not very "wide"... :p

I'm referring mostly to the padding/cushions inside the seat. With every flight I've done with Norwegian, the cushion in them has been non-existing. Felt like I was sitting on a wooden bench.

I'm referring mostly to the padding/cushions inside the seat. With every flight I've done with Norwegian, the cushion in them has been non-existing. Felt like I was sitting on a wooden bench.
But isn't this typical for most economy-class seats? DY's seats in the economy-class didn't strike me as any different from other economy-class seats, apart from leather and the fancy IFE. That said, Ryanair holds the dubious "honors" for being the most uncomfortable I have experienced: 30" pitch just say no, kids... :(

But isn't this typical for most economy-class seats? DY's seats in the economy-class didn't strike me as any different from other economy-class seats, apart from leather and the fancy IFE. That said, Ryanair holds the dubious "honors" for being the most uncomfortable I have experienced: 30" pitch just say no, kids... :(
On my way home from ALC I flew Norwegian (DY), this time one of their new 737-800s... Now, the seats: Obviously not the same as in economy on the 787. DY's seats in economy on the 738s were like a church pew clad in leather. I didn't remember them as that bad from last year when I flew Norwegian OSL-LGW-OSL for the Goodwood FOS, but in the mean time I have flown SAS and United, as well as Norwegian Long Haul's (DU) 787.

9466067916_7e29ced2d8_b.jpg

I made sure to book a seat with extra leg room this time as well, so I went for 15A which is in the rear emergency exit row, and that means you can recline the seat opposed to the row in front.

I found out there was a brand new terminal at ALC:
9466016714_2af5716f55_b.jpg

The old one, which is closed:
9463251829_d258094984_b.jpg

Sure, it was all nice with a brand new terminal, but I'm not sure it was actually needed, as there is less traffic there now. Another change is the new tax-free shop, which all travelers have to go through, you cannot bypass it. Also the idiot in the security didn't understand that sensitive photographic film (ISO higher than 800) had to be hand searched and not go through the X-ray machine, so there is a good possibility that the pictures I took with my roll of Ilford Delta 3200 are ruined. Otherwise it's pretty much as the old terminal, only bigger...

Flew back from Dubai last week using Qatar Airways, DXB-DOH-YUL

The route itself is way more direct than going trough Washington DC like I had done on the way in. Short layover, no extra immigration to go through, over-all a better option than passing through the USA.

The Doha airport is a little bit of a disaster though. It is way too small for the amount of passenger going through, you have to use bus from the plane to the terminal, they have free wifi but it is almost impossible to connect, it is just too crowded.

The service on Qatar airways was very good. Free alcool in economy (on the long flights, not on the DXB-DOH leg), good food, nice staff.

Going back today, this time using Air Canada and Lufthansa on the way in (YUL-FRA-DXB), and Lufthansa all the way on the way back next week (DXB-MUC-YUL).

Going back today, this time using Air Canada and Lufthansa on the way in (YUL-FRA-DXB), and Lufthansa all the way on the way back next week (DXB-MUC-YUL).
Nice to hear about Qatar, I have heard a lot of good things about them, though I have never flied with them. Did you take any pictures?

Looking forward to hearing about your Lufthansa experience, I have only flown with them very briefly OSL-FRA-VCE-FRA-OSL ten years ago, and FRA-CPH on my way home from Star Megado I (2009). I'm going to fly Lufthansa on September 5th, going OSL-FRA-LAX, which will be a number firsts for me: First time in a Boeing 747, the 747 in question will be a 748i, and I will be seated in 86A which is on the upper deck. Not only will this be my First proper experience with LH, but also my first time on their business class with their new lie-flat-seats. Back home will be SFO-CPH-OSL on Scandinavian Airlines, also first time in an Airbus 340, SK operates A340-313X on long intercontinental routes. I will provide a report... :)

Over the weekend I flew to SF and back on Virgin America and it is officially my new favorite airline. It's just a shame that they only fly to a limited number of locations. Unless I'm going to LA or SF, it doesn't make sense for me to fly through those cities.

I may be a little late, but I have to say I feel exactly the same way about Virgin. Fantastic airline, just wished they serviced more airports.

I'm also very surprised your video recording device didn't crash the plane during landing. :p

Cool vid though, never happened to me at SFO.

Jet Lag - When Flying the North Atlantic

The general wisdom is that it is worse flying west to east, which is my experience. I don't think I get it too bad anyway, more of just a tired and cooped up feeling, with a bit of dehydration from the a/c.

:smile:

I get disgusted feeling the air blow on me for some reason.

Trip to Scotland. Hanover - Amsterdam - Glasgow.

The good: Hanover Airport. Smallish, but not dead like Dortmund. Everything fast and smooth. And there is a counter where you can report missing luggage right at the luggage retrieval, and it's even manned.

The meh: Glasgow Airport: Also smallish, but tends to be hectic when they experience a systems failure blocking check-in procedures. :D Also, the only times I felt NOT safe and secure on the entire trip were when two guys with submachine guns were standing in the same hall as I. The Brits and their ridiculous "security" theatre...

The bad: Amsterdam Schiphol. Too large, too busy. And presumably, my friend's luggage was lost there. Or in Glasgow on the way to the first plane. Given the computer systems failure they had during our check-in period, that's entirely possible. But with only a one-hour layover, I'm actually more surprised that my luggage made it.

Ah! The truth at last ....

[video=youtube;JYAq-7sOzXQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYAq-7sOzXQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

:lol:

I love that ! My sister is pregnant ! :mrgreen:

The bad: Amsterdam Schiphol. Too large, too busy. And presumably, my friend's luggage was lost there. Or in Glasgow on the way to the first plane. Given the computer systems failure they had during our check-in period, that's entirely possible. But with only a one-hour layover, I'm actually more surprised that my luggage made it.

I fly through Schiphol a lot, and I like it. Keeps me from getting too bored.

Ah! The truth at last ....

[video=youtube;JYAq-7sOzXQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYAq-7sOzXQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

:lol:
I never bother turning my phone, or anything else completely off, "flight mode" will have to do. That said the reason why is that most emergencies happen during take-off and landing, so they don't want you to be distracted by something else should an emergency occur. There is also no problems with interference up in the sky either, but I still support the blanket ban on phones. Being seated close to someone talking loudly on their phone is annoying enough on a 15-minute bus/train-ride, on a several hour flight it would be torture...