Airplane or airport experiences...

I read a plane nut forum, where some guys get pulled by border security when they just fly around Europe in a single day just because they want to ride some exotic (mostly Russian) planes. There was even a guy who flew to Japan for a breakfast. :lol:

What a time to be alive. You know?

I was reading an article once about customers who had bought unlimited lifetime first-class flight passes (I believe it was with American Airlines).

Some of the people interviewed were now retired, and were basically flying around the world for free, getting free food and booze in first class, accumulating air miles that could then buy products. Some who had bought companion passes were even selling their companion seats on various flights... Profit!

Edit: Article in question: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/05/business/la-fi-0506-golden-ticket-20120506

Last edited:
genius, that must be a blast :D

Does anyone remember the US TV-show Airline? If you have some time to waste, much of it is on YouTube, here are the three first of season 1:

Why is deplaning one life's most inefficient and infuriating processes? It should be simple, if you're not ready to get off the plane, don't get out into the aisle to start digging around for your stuff. If there is a passenger that is ready to get off the plane, let them off - that'll free up space for you to drop your overhead onto slightly fewer heads.

Some observations from my travels yesterday (DTW>MSP>BOS).

For the DTW>MSP leg, I was seated in a window seat on a Delta 757. The aisle passenger had a broken leg and his crutches were in the overhead bin, thats fair if he needs an extra minute, but that also means I'm stuck on the plane till the end. To my surprise he hopped up as soon as we pulled up to the gate and grabbed his stuff and was the first person ready to go. Meanwhile the middle seat kid just kept sitting there [figuratively] picking his nose while passengers had already started moving. It took a few prods from me to get him to move (I had 10 minutes between getting off the plane and the end of boarding for the BOS leg to run through an unknown airport to a departure board then an unknown gate).

Then halfway down the aisle there was some child standing in the aisle. His mother was digging through her bag in the row, but sternly was telling the kid to stand there and not to move. I was just about ready to steamroll the child and to tell her to stop being such a stuck up asshole, but figured that would probably end poorly for me.

For the 2nd leg, I was seated in the middle seat halfway back on a Delta A320. Again, upon landing, I had all my bags and coat in hand and was ready to get off, but no, my aisle passenger sat there digging for a phone charger (because that is something critical to have in hand on the jetbridge) and browsing home on the Zillow app on his phone (again, I totally understand the priority of buying a house at 11:35pm off the jetbridge). I was ready to end him. Once I finally was moving towards the door I (and all the passengers behind me) had to backup about 10 rows and wait for a passenger that needed to get hier overhead bag from an overhead way back in the plane then struggled to put her coat on in the aisle.

I know it really is a first world problem, but nothing pisses me off about travel like the moronic deplaning process, not even TSA checkpoints.

And on a slightly unrelated "I hate people" note, I was reading a slightly political book (won't get into which here), and on both flights when I got it out of my bag, I had other passengers try to tell me that I shouldn't be reading it because they didn't like the author. Excuse me, but who are all you folks to teach me what I should and shouldn't be reading?

Last edited:
Here's an idea, how about we force every butt head who insists on taking their clothes bag with them into the plane? Checked baggage is there for a reason, use it dumbass.

What gets me so much is the struggle these people have to even get their bag up there. If you don't have the upper body strength to safely lift a bag over your head, don't try and hope people move out of the way if it falls.

/rant

Why is deplaning one life's most inefficient and infuriating processes?
Seems like you got stuck with some extra special people who travel rarely - which is normal just before Thanksgiving.

Something very similar tends to happen on buses and trains, these days upon exit I just walk through the idiots (i.e. right into them if necessary) who cannot figure out that stepping aside is their ideal alternative.

^ Deplaning needs a video just like the safety video. Realistic expectations of how people act when flying, entitled inpatient shits, leads me to think even that wouldn't fix it.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people standing up before we are at the gate or ought to stand up... Really you think that you're getting off this plane any quicker by standing up WE'RE IN ROW 22! SIT DOWN! If your fat ass is in the aisle its only going to slow down the fat asses in front of you who now don't have room to get their shit from above. Also the passenger with her bag located in bin a few seats away would be able to retrieve items without having to ask people to back down the aisle or get back in their row.

Also why is it in airports, jetways and moving walkways specifically but all over, people forget to GET RIGHT! stay right while you dilly dally and people will pass you on the left.

And people wonder why I have a ziplock of nips

One of my biggest pet peeves is people standing up before we are at the gate or ought to stand up... Really you think that you're getting off this plane any quicker by standing up WE'RE IN ROW 22! SIT DOWN!

Wherever I see people unbuckling before we are completely stopped at the gate, I think they should show this video in a loop as we are still taxiing...

Wherever I see people unbuckling before we are completely stopped at the gate, I think they should show this video in a loop as we are still taxiing...

That'll get your attention... I've had a flight attendant talk about how she's had a captain throw the anchors while taxiing because some deer tried to Icebone him, which sent someone flying through the aisle who already left his seat. Those brakes are built to stop from high speed, so if told to they'll stop a slow plane quite impressively.

That'll get your attention... I've had a flight attendant talk about how she's had a captain throw the anchors while taxiing because some deer tried to Icebone him, which sent someone flying through the aisle who already left his seat. Those brakes are built to stop from high speed, so if told to they'll stop a slow plane quite impressively.

A deer on the runway? Aren't public airports around the world usually fenced in? I've never heard of one that wasn't. Usually the fences are high enough to stop a deer (or anyone else) from jumping over. Most I've seen have barbed or electrified wires at the top too.

Googling deer on the runway yields loads of hits, many involving commercial jets on proper airports :dunno:

Deer have been known to jump even 8ft tall fences.

Last edited:
Huh, interesting. How the hell do they get past the fences?!

Deer have been known to jump even 8ft tall fences.

Current standard is 6ft fences, with most airports going up to 8ft whenever they do upgrades renovations. However...as stated above...8ft don't mean nothin' to no whitetails.

7ft fence, no running start, Journey playing in the background.

Last edited:
^ Gentlemen Gentleman please we can all agree that deer are scum. However we are veering away from the scum we originally were talking about airline passengers! Specifically the scum that stand before they ought when deplaning.

Current standard is 6ft fences, with most airports going up to 8ft whenever they do upgrades renovations. However...as stated above...8ft don't mean nothin' to no whitetails.

7ft fence, no running start, Journey playing in the background.

I'm pretty sure that's Boston playing in the background, not Journey.

Dude, you're right. Man...I even had a mullet growing up. I shouldn't have misidentified that.

- - - Updated - - -

^ Gentlemen Gentleman please we can all agree that deer are scum. However we are veering away from the scum we originally were talking about airline passengers! Specifically the scum that stand before they ought when deplaning.

Well...having to sit longer in your chair is one thing...having to get out and push because your pilot forgot to release the parking brake and now it's frozen is a whole 'nother thing.
http://www.euronews.com/2014/11/26/russian-passengers-push-start-plane-frozen-by-extreme-siberian-weather-video/

Here's an idea, how about we force every butt head who insists on taking their clothes bag with them into the plane? Checked baggage is there for a reason, use it dumbass.

What gets me so much is the struggle these people have to even get their bag up there. If you don't have the upper body strength to safely lift a bag over your head, don't try and hope people move out of the way if it falls.

/rant

And pay $50 and have to wait for my bag? Pass. I'll save my money and time and use a carry on, though I can throw my bag into the bin/get it down without breaking stride at this point.