Airspace closed in Northern Europe

Fair point on the Fuel Adv SOP, having made the mistake though, the crew somewhat redeemed themselves by bring it home.

Do you know what happened to the crew?
:)

The captain was basically treated like a hero, very few people grasping the fact that he made the mistake putting them in the emergency situation. It was discovered he was actually involved (and caught) in drug smuggling operations in the early eighties, but kept his hero status even trough that. AFAIK, he is still a captain for Air Transat.

We basically never heard of the rest of the crew, it's like he did it all (the good and the bad) by himself.

If you're a pilot it's never good to be involved with an incident, even if you come out of it as a hero. The pilots of BA038 no longer work for BA...

it has cooled down ..... for now

however there are 3 volcanoes that expert believe will erupt in the near future, and they are all bigger than Eyjafjallaj?kull

Katla which is 15 miles to the east of the mountain with the name no one can pronounce, Hekla which is the most famous volcano here, another one .... Krafla

So I went ahead and read the NASA link. It is far from drop out the sky, but it did some damage. Here is my solution: let the planes fly but require inspection and maintenance (at the airlines expense but overseen by a third party). Next require board members of these airlines to fly the route once or twice a week on randomly selected planes.

I say ban Volcanoes - they give off greenhouse gases - I know what you will say can not be done - so second option tax them - Cobol74 runs off to his 'Greenie' funny farm going 'Ha ha he he they are coming to take me away".

apparently its back baby .... but not as violent as before

BBC News said:
Easyjet has unveiled a system that it says will allow airlines to safely fly around ash clouds.

It involves infra-red technology that allows pilots to see the damaging particles up to 62 miles ahead.

The theory is that a pilot can then change course and continue to fly safely.

It has the support of the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), the body that decides whether it is safe to fly through ash in UK airspace.

The CAA said it was happy an airline appeared to have found a technical solution, and, although it was not endorsing the product, it would do what it could to help certification.

* continues ? click link below *
BBC News - Easyjet to trial volcanic ash detection system

This will take a while to fit, test and get regulator approval, so not a short term fix.

The good news is that the technology, if successful, will be made available to all other airlines free of charge.
:)

I am REALLY REALLY sorry for bumping this thread. It kind of is relevant to the eruption here a few months back.

In the week that just passed there were 580 earthquakes in Iceland, all under 2.7 on the Richter scale, so they were quite small.

BUT in regarding to Katla there is no sign of an eruption in the near future. Under Myrdalsjokull glacier there were only 17 earthquakes and under Katla only 2, all of them quite small.

Just updating if anybody was interested or wanted to know whats happening here.

Again very very sorry for bumping it.

No, you?re OK.
If the media are to be believed, it is Katia that we should be worried about.
At least we have some rules now, instead of a ?No-fly? anywhere with ash.
When Katia is about to blow, we want to know about it!
:cool:

When I first saw this thread bump I thought to myself sarcastically, "What, again?!"

Open mouth, insert foot

Eyjafjallajokull was fun to pronounce. Ey-ya-fiat-la-yo-kolt.

Anyways, that thing better not go off when I'm off to America this year.

As long as it doesn't erupt in April I couldn't care less.

Last edited:
Bah, I'm calling it Mt. Bob. I can pronounce that. :p

Someone fed the lactose intolerant volcano tofu!!!

Neither did I, I was under the impression it was bean curd.