AJ16 in Triumph

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
How feasible would it be to put an AJ16 into a Spitfire or GT6?

Is there much of a difference between the AJ6 and AJ16?

The AJ16 is the later (95-97) revised version of the AJ6. They make 10 more horsepower. Other than that, not really a significant difference between them (other than the ignition system) from the engine swapper's point of view.

Here's the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ6_engine

As for swapping it in - not sure, I haven't seen any in person. However, people swapped the older XK series engine into those all the time, so where the XK fits, the AJ6/16 should.

How heavy are they?

The XK I6 4.2L engine is about 700lbs fully dressed, the AJ6/16 is about 550-600lbs fully dressed depending on variant.

And while we're at it - the mid-80s V12, fully dressed, is about 800-850.

I did mention I play with heavy metal, yes? :D

Last edited:
Yea that's heavy stuff there. All I have on the Triumph's weight is 450lbs (not sure if it is a dressed weight or not). 550lbs looks like a bit much (the things flexed even with the stock engine).

All well, maybe a BOPR would work out better. Or maybe a SHO v6 ...

Last edited:
Or a 13b.

If I did go this route I'd want something under 400lbs. Rotaries are tempting, but I already have one in my Midget. The LSx are ~450lbs aren't they?

LS3 crate engine is 415 and I think that includes the crate.

Is that with all the dressing?

I don't know. Probably not including alternator or accessories but I think it including everything from the water pump to the flywheel.

LS3 in a Spitfire would be awexomcross.

Yeah but also way to heavy. I think I'd better be off going lighter, maybe a 5 valve 4AG.

Get the driveline out of a Sky/ Solstice. The turbo engine is 260HP.

How heavy is it with all the plumbing though?

KLZE

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3fQeTkaE1o[/YOUTUBE]

I really want to put a straight six in something. Having worked on and seen an AJ16 I can see how that would be a bad fit for a Triumph or MG (they are frigging huge).

Now I'm thinking of a Barra 6. How heavy / big are they? How hard would it be getting one over here?