I was in a right place at the right time. This was actually promised to another fellow, but he didn't pick it up for two years. When I asked for it, the owner called that first guy and asked if he would still want it. Then he promised to give it to me.
I still need two body styles, a van and a two door sedan.
Some progress. I poured in some fresh gasoline, checked oil and coolant fluids, inflated the tires (they kept air in), connected a battery and started the engine. Took a little bit of risk, timing belt was changed just a little bit before the stand still and previous owners death, so it has been there only for 4000 km. Ageing is more of a problem. Didn't snap for now.
After that I released couple of seized brakes, but it still needed a little help from Patrol to get out of its shed. Took a short test drive on forest path, brakes seem to work (at least the front ones), all lights work now, engine runs almost as smooth as an E-engine can. Maybe next week is the time for temporary sticker plates for driving it home?
There is a lovely mixture of mold and tobacco odor around the car, certainly needs some interior wash. Daylight also reveals all the shades of blue.
I spent yesterday and today with Wagon. This is now officially my own and I drove it to home with temporary plates. Felt like a B11. I changed oil and filter when engine was still hot. Only 67 filters left.
This seems to have had some love and care in the past. In last 50 thousand kms there were markings of changed timing belt (4000 km ago), gearbox, distributor and head gasket. The head might also be changed, since it is 25M casting. All my other E15-engines have 15M head which is better one if thinking of performance.
Last night I vacuumed the interior to get rid of dirt and mouse droppings. Then I removed seat covers. Original seats are in good condition but slightly dirty. Today I wiped interior plastics and washed mold off door cards. Found a pair of better sun visors and nice steering wheel from my own parts bin, they are still waiting to be installed.
Finally I had a chance to wash this. It became a little brighter. Not perfect by any means, but it is still nice one for a freebie. Both rear quarters have been painted, front fenders are not original and there are some minor marks of side collision on the right hand side.
I think they first installed those remote opening side windows on some higher spec Cherry N10 Hatchback models in the very end of the model's production run in 1982, only few of them in Finland. I have seen only one in person.
N12 Cherry had two opening windows on three door model, in five door hatch those levers operated rear door locks. In Sunny line up, B11 Coupé has two remote opening side windows and Wagon has only one on the right side.
It is a shame they didn't continue installing them in N13, these are handy in hot summer days to boost ventilation.
Half of meter lights weren't working. Took the dash apart and removed meter cluster. Someone had used 5W lamps, so plastics were melted, rather crispy and some bulb holders didn't attach properly. Disassembled two spare clusters, used the best parts to make one good combination. Meter seemed to be working and while I was at it, I installed better steering wheel and sun visors.
Rear emblems were "restored" with aluminium tape and on the top of that I found nice and period correct chromed OBA tail pipe extension. 43 mm diameter might not be very well selling item, so it was 50 % off at the local store. Licence plate lights work now, there were some snapped wiring.
Some wax and medicating bumber ointment applied. Not very big changes to be seen. I now know about every scratch, dent and ding around the car, some diy paint patches are quite rough. While I was at it, I painted all the wiper arms back to their original black color.
Some more tidying up left under the hood. When the valve cover was off for valve clearance check, I polished it up little bit to get rid of oxidation. Also found less rusted air cleaner.
It developed a little problem with running on idle. At first it ran well, but after some maintenance (new spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor), problems started. Had to thing a little: auto choke works like it should, replacing vacuum lines didn't help. It ran on idle with three cylinders and disconnecting one spark plug wire didn't affect it, so one of new plugs was faulty. Replaced it and now it works like it should. My new spark plug wires should be here tomorrow.
Interior was cleaned with my friend's textile washer. Seats and carpets are cleaner now, although they weren't horribly dirty after all. Air is fresher now inside. There is trunk for you for example, not a huge difference.
I like what you've done with this. It's not a showroom quality example and not quite used car yard one either, but seems like an honest beater you can use for things. It's also interesting that here you could originally either buy this LIFESTYLE TOURING version of the Sunny, or choose the more upright, high-roof wagon version that was sold as a delivery AD Van version in its home market.
Someone had done some mixing and matching with the results of two right side blinker housings and two left side lenses. When Nissan facelifted the B11-series, they decided that Wagon can carry on with old style smaller bumpers. This meant that I had to dig very deep in my storage in order to find suitable pair. My Sunnys have always had those bigger facelift bumpers and almost all of my spare parts fit to them. Still, I managed to assemble one full set. They became quite nice when polished with cleaner wax. When going through those parts, I also found better cover for headlight washer nut.