• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Alex Zanardi wins first race since losing legs

pdanev

Forum Addict
Now that's an achievement!!! Congratulations to one of the most passionate drivers! :)

from http://www.mercurynews.com:

Posted on Sun, Aug. 28, 2005

Alex Zanardi wins first race since losing legs

The Associated Press

OSCHERSLEBEN, Germany - Alex Zanardi won his first race Sunday since losing both legs in an accident in Germany in 2001.
Zanardi captured the seventh race of the world touring cars championships in his BMW 320i.

The former Formula One driver and two-time CART champion lost both legs in a collision during a CART race on Sept. 15, 2001. He walks and drives with the help of two prostheses.

from http://www.monzanet.it:

Alessandro Zanardi claimed a spectacular win in the FIA WTCC ? the first for him and his BMW Team Italy-Spain. He started from pole due to the reverse grid and he drove a solid race to ensure he was the victor. It was in fact a BMW 1-2-3 as J?rg M?ller and Andy Priaulx made their second podium appearance of the day. The set of three were very close and J?rg was sitting 2nd on the last lap when he made a nail-biting challenge on Zanardi but went wide and rejoined 3rd. This promoted Priaulx which now means he is just one point behind Dirk M?ller in the driver?s championship.
At the start Ortelli was hit by fellow SEAT driver Terting and both went off the track. The former continued to finish 15th while the latter pitted and did not re-join. On lap 2 Giovanardi?s misfortune continued as he collided with Rosenblad and crashed into the barriers.
The race was extremely tight over the next few laps with the top 11 drivers crossing the line within 4 seconds. Among the pack were Rydell and Tarquini who were battling for 7th place. On lap 5 contact was made and the Alfa Romeo was forced wide losing five positions in the process and eventually finishing 14th. The SEAT Sport man managed to hold on to 7th while his team-mate Gen? had a brilliant 4th place finish in the new Le?n after being third for ten laps. A fight for the final point position was being contested by Garc?a and Menu with the Chevrolet eventually crossing the line ahead of the BMW. All the Chevrolet drivers had better results than in Race 1 as Larini and Huff achieved 11th and 12th.

Wow thats amazing!! Good job for him. That makes a good inspirational story.

Saw that on the news and I was very happy - Zanardi's been one of my favourite drivers since his orginal stint in Indycar.

It's a truly inspirational and amazing story - he's been nothing but positive ever since the accident, that must take amazing mental strength.

i wish they make prosthetics for the steering wheel, or that my car was rhd :(

Next time put a spoiler warning of some sort. I'm currently downloading the race since I'm a follower of the WTCC. So please be kind next time :)

Yeh I watched a great documentary of his story...downloaded it off a certain someones FTP and it was a great watch :)

Good for Zanardi!

Wow. That's amazing... good on him! :thumbsup:

Mischief007 said:
Next time put a spoiler warning of some sort. I'm currently downloading the race since I'm a follower of the WTCC. So please be kind next time :)

sorry mischief, didnt think about that :( :oops:

Thats cool.

There is a guy (Evan Evans) who races in the Championship Off Road Racing (CORR) series and he doesn't have use of his legs. I saw an interview of him and it was pretty cool. His truck has a twist throttle like a motorcycle and it moves forward and back to control the brakes

When I played football (the American kind), the quarterback of one of our opponents only had one leg.

pdanev said:
Mischief007 said:

sorry mischief, didnt think about that :( :oops:

You'll know for next time. Watching the WTCC right now and my favourite car is doing very well ;). My favourite being the BMW, in case you folks are wondering.

ESPNSTI said:
When I played football (the American kind), the quarterback of one of our opponents only had one leg.
i play hockey, golf, and the guitar with one hand. i had a 9 handicap in golf too which isnt that bad. guitar i have to play gutar lefty now and i used to be righty so its a little tricky. but hockey was easy. the prosthetic works amazingly good for hockey so i cant take much credit.
http://img380.imageshack.**/img380/605/p7140013small1jt.jpg
the plastic part on the amp is my prosthetic
http://img380.imageshack.**/img380/8769/p1010019small4zh.jpg
a little blurry but you get the point.

Good job Zanardi. Last lap was insane...