Spied: Alfa Romeo Giulia

For what it's worth :

I received my two "Zulassungsbescheinigung" (Title and VIN) for my two Giulia QV last week. I have 55/100 and 79/100 full option. Both estimated delivery on Dec. 17th - 22nd. 2015. I can not confirm that there is delay. I know I was the second buyer with a contract. Both cars were confirmed.

source

Will all versions of the car be RWD? I mean, would make sense to make one platform thats AWD and RWD compatible.

Only the 510 hp one. Others will have (optional) AWD. Can't remember where i read that, but i'm pretty sure it was something official, not just rumors.

So the others... FWD? :(

So the others... FWD? :(

They already have a RWD version, which I gather means the car isn't designed to be FWD.

Unless FIAT becomes British owned, I wouldn't worry.

Me too. Will there be a 200-250hp version with small wheels and less weight? Maybe a 2 version of that? :cool:

Four pot turbo petrol, a V6 and a four pot turbo diesel. I believe the the engine power will start at 150HP. I read that in the local version of ADAC's free car mag.
I believe the italians had a press event only in italian months ago, and most of the english press, don't feel like translating.

They already have a RWD version, which I gather means the car isn't designed to be FWD.

Unless FIAT becomes British owned, I wouldn't worry.

That's why I was asking, because what miki wrote sounded like only the QV gets optional RWD, all cars get optional AWD but it sounded like the rest would be FWD. Alfa shoots themselves in both knees and in both feet if they don't make all of them RWD.

- - - Updated - - -

Four pot turbo petrol, a V6 and a four pot turbo diesel. I believe the the engine power will start at 150HP. I read that in the local version of ADAC's free car mag.
I believe the italians had a press event only in italian months ago, and most of the english press, don't feel like translating.

I'd be interested in seing if that midrange V6 will be naturally aspirated or turbocharged aswell.

Calm yourself. It will be RWD or AWD in the higher end versions.

The last time a manufacturer tried to to both front and rear drive on a car was MG Rover when they put a Yank V8 into the Rover 75 (originally FWD) and shifted the drive to the back. Look at how well things worked out for them.

Calm yourself. It will be RWD or AWD in the higher end versions.

The last time a manufacturer tried to to both front and rear drive on a car was MG Rover when they put a Yank V8 into the Rover 75 (originally FWD) and shifted the drive to the back. Look at how well things worked out for them.

And before that the Triumph 1500 disaster. Then there is also the insanity of the original Mini's drivetrain.

mini-engine-in.jpg

That's why I was asking, because what miki wrote sounded like only the QV gets optional RWD, all cars get optional AWD but it sounded like the rest would be FWD. Alfa shoots themselves in both knees and in both feet if they don't make all of them RWD.
Sorry for not making that clear. What has been confirmed as of now is that the QV will be RWD only, while others will be RWD or AWD.

Ahhh. What a relief to hear that :D

Concept was great! It's the build quality and support features let them down.

"...so i phoned them out, and they sent me another car." :richard:

"You do mean they sent you THE other car" :jc:

Yaddayaddayadda, iswearitdoesn'tlooklikebmw. It's just a shame they didn't find a way to integrate the wonderful door handles from the 159.

It's a shame they haven't made RWD 159 with that fanceh v6 of theirs. (or 4-door Brera, pick up your preferrence)

Which is another proof that alfa is still being designed by artists: They can't just go and add few tweaks to finished picture, they gotta start from scratch and make it different :p

It's a shame they haven't made RWD 159 with that fanceh v6 of theirs. (or 4-door Brera, pick up your preferrence)

I hope you mean that proper Alfa V6, not the latest GM engine :thumbsup:

I'm actually thrilled that this most likely will not be the platform for the next Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger. :) As long as they are on a RWD based chassis minus ~300lbs or so I'll be happy. :)

edit: after reading the article, it reads like a load of bullshit as is typical of the automotive news press. They love to love Tesla (a company that hasn't turned a profit since its inception) and love to hate on anything made by FCA. This crap is getting absolutely ridiculous.

From the article:

UPDATE: An Alfa Romeo US spokesman responded to this article with the following statement: The safety concerns expressed in the story are false. The all-new 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia is designed and engineered to meet or exceed all federal safety regulations. The Alfa Romeo Giulia will begin production for the North American market in the late second-quarter of this year.

Last edited:
Well shit, so this platform may still replace the Chrysler LX? ...sad face.

edit: after reading the article, it reads like a load of bullshit as is typical of the automotive news press. They love to love Tesla (a company that hasn't turned a profit since its inception) and love to hate on anything made by FCA. This crap is getting absolutely ridiculous.

From the article:
Yup, all the world is wrong when they criticize your precious Italian cars.

I have no idea what the truth is, and I honestly don't care. But that quote you put up from the article? It's from an anonymous FCA employee. That says a lot.

Oh come on. You can never expect an automotive company to admit development problems. They just don't do that. They'll deny anything even if it was true, so the PR statement is nothing unexpected.

Oh come on. You can never expect some car news websites to pass up on juicy rumors to get those pageviews. They just don't do that. They'll publish anything even if it doesn't have a credible source, or even a single anonymous quote, so that article is nothing unexpected.

:p

Neither party has anything to show for their claims, this argument is a waste of effort.

Yup, all the world is wrong when they criticize your precious Italian cars.

A handful of people working in automotive journalism = the world? That's news to me.

Oh come on. You can never expect an automotive company to admit development problems. They just don't do that. They'll deny anything even if it was true, so the PR statement is nothing unexpected.

I also know that suppliers are rarely clued in on the developments and progress of an entire platform. This article is classic internet click-bait automotive journalism based on a "he said, she said" source.