Spied: Alfa Romeo Giulia

All Giulias (including rental spec diesels) have a carbon-fiber driveshaft. How stereotypically Alfa is that ?

And because its Alfa, they probably figured out how to make it rust.

All Giulias (including rental spec diesels) have a carbon-fiber driveshaft. How stereotypically Alfa is that ?

There are a number of cars with carbon fiber driveshafts. They're going to just become more common as time goes on.

This thread made me wonder what was the first production car to have a carbon fiber driveshaft. Can you guess what high tech super car it was?

Renault Espace Quadra, a french AWD minivan from 1980's. :lol:

Renault-Espace_Quadra-1987-800-02.jpg

And because its Alfa, they probably figured out how to make it rust.

Nah, it'll have caught fire long before that....

There are a number of cars with carbon fiber driveshafts. They're going to just become more common as time goes on.

I know a lot of high-end sport cars have/had them, but what about relatively affordable ones ?

This thread made me wonder what was the first production car to have a carbon fiber driveshaft. Can you guess what high tech super car it was?

Renault Espace Quadra, a french AWD minivan from 1980's. :lol:

Renault-Espace_Quadra-1987-800-02.jpg

Whoa. To be fair, i was totally expecting it to be a french car, i just didn't know that they did it so early. I thought that at the time, carbon fiber was reserved for aircrafts, F1 cars and a few supercars.

edit: apparently, it was Citroen (because of course it was) the first to offer carbon-reinforced wheels to the public, way back in 1972.

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2007/04/Reinventing-the-Wheel/1441078.html

I have a two string kite from that era that uses carbon fiber shafts. :dunno:

That is what I think made them so damn expensive.

I know a lot of high-end sport cars have/had them, but what about relatively affordable ones ?

-S197 Mustang GT500
-Mazda RX8
-350z/370z
-'97 Audi S4
-'97-'98 Audi A8
-Current-gen M3/M4
-'05-'12 Acura RL SH-AWD

I was having the exact same thoughts. Shame on all the rags that ran with that false story.

Saw one in person at the Ring on saturday.

This car is BEAUTIFUL irl.

Saw one in person at the Ring on saturday.

This car is BEAUTIFUL irl.

:wub: I completely agree. I saw two examples at the NY auto show - a Quadrifoglio and a more luxury oriented trim level. Both looked gorgeous.

What I?m saying here, in this straight, no-cocking-about road test, is that Alfa Romeo has made a car dynamically better than the BMW. And it has. It really has. This is Iceland beating England. And I couldn?t be more pleased.

Huh. Interesting.

Also, 58 liters is small? I live perfectly with 46 liters. :p

Jeremy Clarkson said:
Quattroformaggio
:lol:

All kidding aside, wow does he make it sound impressive. It's not for me, but I'll be happy to welcome a successful Alfa, one with its soul intact, back to these shores.

:lol:

All kidding aside, wow does he make it sound impressive. It's not for me, but I'll be happy to welcome a successful Alfa, one with its soul intact, back to these shores.

I am sold on the looks, and I love V6 noises.

I need to finish my graduate degree ASAP so I can get a job and buy the damn thing.

I'm gonna do the enthusiast thing and buy one used 10 years from now. :lol: