• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Alfa Romeo in US: Would You?

Shawn

Lexus? Oh shi-
Car(s)
MkVI GTI w/DSG
If they started selling Alfa Romeo models again in North America, would you seriously consider buying one?

I'm in love with all their cars. I've never driven an Alfa, but the looks alone do it for me. I don't want to be a TG fanboy, but the Brera really is a sexy, sexy car.

I would love to swap my car for a 147 (GTA?) if they were available. What would they be comparable in price to?

Would you go for it? Not just the 147, and Alfa.

well it's one of those "if i had the money" things. they look gorgeous but could people here afford to keep them running well? they have enough problems running the classic Spiders here even thought the engine has something like 5 parts in total :p

Is there really a serious issue with quality and service costs? I mean sure it won't be a Toyota or Honda, but is it really horrid? People have the same misconceptions about Land Rover, Jaguar and a lot of other foreign cars. These days BMW and Mercedes don't give you much quality anyway... is Alfa that horrible?

comparable in price with a golf, way to expensive for what you actually get. and maintainance and parts cost a bitch as well.

it's a car for the good looking with enough money. i'd pass on it (don't furfill any of the categories :lol: )

Sure the Golf isn't cheap, but why is it too expensive if it's comparable?

Shawn_230 said:
Is there really a serious issue with quality and service costs? I mean sure it won't be a Toyota or Honda, but is it really horrid? People have the same misconceptions about Land Rover, Jaguar and a lot of other foreign cars. These days BMW and Mercedes don't give you much quality anyway... is Alfa that horrible?

I can give you a bit of statistics. The German Automobile club has it's own breakdown service. At the end of every year they release a report of how well each type of car (Built between 1999-2004) performed.

They give you the ammount of breakdowns per 1000 registered cars.

2001,2002 etc is the year of registration.

4207_2.jpg

4207_3.jpg

As you can see the 147 seems to have gotten pretty decent over the years, while the 156 seems not so well built. Still lots of improvement over the years.

Shawn_230 said:
Sure the Golf isn't cheap, but why is it too expensive if it's comparable?

i meant to expensive compared with other smalle european or japanese cars

i did a quick search on the site, and a 147 (3door) will cost you 16500?. a seat ibiza costs 12000?, an opel astra 15000?

I wouldn't mind paying a 1.500 euro premium for the Alfa looks and appeal. I mean people are brainwashed into paying 15 percent more for Lexus than a Toyota equivalent, even though the only difference is the badge. At least with the Alfa, the premium gives you something.

The 159 comes with full 3 years service in most European countries, so they must believe in the car.

If the 147 is compareble in price to a Golf then it's like a choice between a bigmac and a nice steak at the same price. One is ment to be bland so it doesn't offend anyone, the other is ment to be destinct so you'll probably only choose it if you love it.

I still smile every time I look at my cheap 11 year old 33, and I still take detours on twisty roads... oh, and the sound... umm...

Anyways, the 147 won't make it to North America, the 159 and Brera are the first (new) Alfa's that have been designed for the american market too. But the 148/9 (or whatever...), 169, Kamal and future Alfa's should make it. The 159 and Brera should arrive in the US in 2007.

Is this confirmed or speculation? About Alfa coming back to North America I mean...

The Kamal is already here, it's the Subaru Tribeca. :D Are these cars the same? They look so similar and I find the Tribeca strangely beautiful.

Shawn_230 said:
Is this confirmed or speculation? About Alfa coming back to North America I mean...

AFAIK it's confirmed, but as with everything italian it could still change a million times :)

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2005/events/pebble_beach/8c_spider/2908.html

Shawn_230 said:
The Kamal is already here, it's the Subaru Tribeca. :D Are these cars the same? They look so similar and I find the Tribeca strangely beautiful.

I think it's just a case of Subaru using the same design technics as Seat (= take an Alfa 147 and make it look like your own) :)

The first Kamal concept was (I think) based on the Maserati Kubang concept (which was, at the time, ment to use Audi's 4WD (which seems stranges as Alfa's own Q4 system is generations better than the Quattro system)), I think the Kubang has been put on hold now and the Kamal could be based on the Alfa 159. The Kamal was on the slides showing the current and future models at the presentation of the 159, so it's still in the works.[/url]

bone said:
i did a quick search on the site, and a 147 (3door) will cost you 16500€. a seat ibiza costs 12000€, an opel astra 15000€

Ibiza is not in the same class. Leon is.

nkh said:
[(which was, at the time, ment to use Audi's 4WD (which seems stranges as Alfa's own Q4 system is generations better than the Quattro system))
I hope you realize you simply cannot say something like this without explanation when I am on the forum.

And I can't WAIT to hear this.

astroboymoto said:
I really like the 156 but hate FWD more so not for me :( maybe the AWD will be better... if they actually use it :bangin:
FWD isn't that bad, give it a chance. I'd consider an Alfa if all saabs become subaru clones in the future. :(

Raven18940 said:
astroboymoto said:
I really like the 156 but hate FWD more so not for me :( maybe the AWD will be better... if they actually use it :bangin:
FWD isn't that bad, give it a cause. I'd consider an Alfa if all saabs become subaru clones in the future. :(
And/or Chevrolet clones.

saab97x1.JPG

Dr. Woo said:
nkh said:
[(which was, at the time, ment to use Audi's 4WD (which seems stranges as Alfa's own Q4 system is generations better than the Quattro system))
I hope you realize you simply cannot say something like this without explanation when I am on the forum.

And I can't WAIT to hear this.

The Q4 system in the 159 has three differentials and is based on a Torsen C differential where the center differential sends drive torque 57% to the rear wheels and 43% to the front (normaly, it's variable up to 78% / 28%). Audi's Quattro system is afaik based on a Torsen B differential (with 50% / 50% distribution). VW's 4Motion seems to use a Haldex differential, I don't know if that's also used in Golf based Audis (A3 and TT maybe).

Torsen C is a newer generation than Torsen B.