Autoblog: Alfa Romeo to build 169 sedan on Chrysler LX platform (Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger)

A7XFan22

Source: Autoblog
Written By: Chris Paukert

alfa-300.jpg

According to a new report in Financial Post, Alfa Romeo may build its forthcoming 169 sedan in Chrysler LLC's Brampton, Ontario facility ? a development made possible by the latter's tie-up with Fiat (which owns Alfa). The article cites a projection by automotive research firm IHS Global Insight that states that the 169 will be built on the same underpinnings with the next Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. That news would make sense as Alfa was reportedly shopping for a rear-drive platform that could be sold in North America as early as a year ago.

If IHS' report is accurate and production on an Ontario-assembled 169 indeed comes to pass, it would mark the first time that a premium European luxury auto is assembled in Canada.

RWD!

THERE IS A GOD!!!

The 300C is built on a 14 year old platform.

This won't go well.

Nobody will care how the 169 will drive or how old the platform is ... if it?s RWD and looks as good as the 166 ... it will be ... a massive failure :D ... because alfas always are ... they?ll never be able to shake off their reputation with the general public and stay Cars for enthusiasts that simply dont care about the technical side ... no matter if underneath it?s a 14year old Merc or a brand new Audi ...

It might be a very pretty failure though ...
alfa-169.jpg

:drool:

Actually the whole thing about Alfa's is how good they drive...even a 159 with a diesel is fun.

No, a catastrophe would be them building it on the Chrysler Sebring platform.

No, a catastrophe would be them building it on the Chrysler Sebring platform.

I'm not sure that's possible...I'd imagine the Alfa would reject the platform as if it were Heidi Klum's body and one of my kidney's.

Ah, you never know. Alfa are very fond of FWD platforms :)

Well, the text says it will be based upon the next gen 300c/Charger. Will that be an entirely new car or just a new body on old underpinnings? Knowing Chrysler I'm not assuming the best.

At least we don't need to fear for reduced durability on the part of the Alfa. :D