Alfa Romeo to dump front-drive hatches for rear-drive saloons

McRae

Source: Car Magazine

Alfa Romeo is set to drop the Mito and Giulietta hatchbacks around 2015, as it switches to solely rear-wheel drive models, CAR's Georg Kacher reveals today (Friday 19 July). The sensational news, which will be music to car enthusiasts' ears, is part of a radical, new plan involving closer collaboration between Alfa Romeo and Maserati.

Starting in 2015, Alfa will roll out a BMW 3-series rival, followed by a 5-series rival in 2016. Two SUVs will follow. This year's mid-engined 4C and the 2015 Mazda MX-5-based roadster are unaffected by the new plan: they are already rear-wheel drive.

Why is Alfa taking this direction?

It's a radical u-turn from Fiat-Chrysler boss Sergio Marchionne, but one that's not entirely unexpected: Alfa Romeo's true overlord has always expressed the importance of rear-drive dynamics for credibly taking on BMW and Mercedes. And now he seems to have come up with a plan to make good on his intentions. But it will mean the long-delayed Giulia ? pictured here in a CAR-rendering that was close to the front- and all-wheel drive proposal ? will slip back again from its 2014 launch.At least four new models will be launched including a pair of saloons and two SUVs. The aim is to make Alfas better to drive. ?Sure, design is important, Italian flair is important, top-notch quality is important?, an insider told CAR. ?But it is impossible to challenge Audi, BMW and Mercedes if you cannot match the Germans in terms of vehicle dynamics and driving pleasure.?

How will they do it, and when will the new models arrive?

Alfa will work closely with Maserati to develop a new modular platform that can cater for the four model lines. Arriving first will be the Giulia, which targets the BMW 3-series, which should arrive in 2015. Following a year later is the Alfetta, which is gunning for the 5-series and E-class and may include a Sportwagon version. The Alfetta will be smaller than the old Alfa Romeo 166 and there will be some overlap with the Maserati Ghibli in terms of size, say insiders.

Two SUVs will follow on in 2017 and 2018 respectively, with the CAV (Compact Activity Vehicle) aimed at the BMW X1 ahead of an SAV (Sports Activity Vehicle) chasing the BMW X3 and Audi Q5. The new platform will save significant weight, meaning the new models won?t be bloated like the Brera and 159. It will also cater for short overhangs and a longer wheelbase for improved dynamics, while allowing Alfa?s tradition of beautiful proportions to continue. Technology such as the eight-speed ZF gearbox, V6 Maserati engines and hybrid drivetrains will be accessible to Alfa product planners.

The plan is part of Fiat-Chrysler boss Sergio Marchionne?s push to boost Alfa Romeo sales from 100,000 to 300,000 per year. That in itself is a reduction of 100,000 units on the volume target Marchionne told CAR last year ? but that included Mito and Giulietta sales, which at that time were still in the product plan.

I can live with the SUV-bullshit if the rest is true, even though they seem to be leaving the european market behind.

Last edited:
Ambitious.....destined to fail but ambitious.

I don't really know how to feel about this. On the one hand, I welcome more RWD cars on the market. On the other hand, Alfa has been about FWD sportscars since the Alfasud days. Apart from Citroen they are probably the only brand where I'd say they have a FWD tradition worth keeping alive.

Last edited:
I'd say, for this to work, they have to use the transaxle design. Like the original Alfetta.

I don't really know how to feel about this. On the one hand, I welcome more RWD cars on the market. On the other hand, Alfa has been about FWD sportscars since the Alfasud/Alfetta days. Apart from Citroen they are probably the only brand where I'd say they have a FWD tradition worth keeping alive.

I can somewhat follow you on that, but I still think some of the best cars Alfa ever made were the RWD Giulia's and Giuliettas of the generation before.

I think they should keep some fwd cars. A fwd Alfa is frequently a great car.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they should keep some fwd cars. A fwd Alfa is frequently a great car.

What I don't get:

The new platform will save significant weight, meaning the new models won?t be bloated like the Brera and 159.

Wiki says the 159/Brera weigh between 3200-3700lbs. That's not really all that heavy for a modern four-door saloon. More importantly, to call them "bloated" feels like a sacrilege. They still remain one of the best looking modern everyday cars.

Wiki says the 159/Brera weigh between 3200-3700lbs. That's not really all that heavy for a modern four-door saloon. More importantly, to call them "bloated" feels like a sacrilege. They still remain one of the best looking modern everyday cars.
They were nose-heavy (especially the Brera) and, with most engines, underpowered. And 3200 lbs (1451 kg) is a lot by European standards even today, let alone in 2005, when both were introduced.

They are THE prettiest cars ever made, 159 sedan, SW, Brera, doesn't matter. BUT! They were kinda heavy. Even a 3.2 V6 4WD 159 isn't much of a racer.

Still don't care. Still pretty as fuck. :lol:

I disagree. They were no heavier than the contemporary E60 BMW or even the E90 3 series. I can see them being nose-heavy, but overall weight seems pretty standard.

Either way, sales were pretty crappy compared to, especially, BMWs. And no matter how light they were, FWD hatchbacks (and sedans, Ledus ES aside) struggle to get out of the mainstream and into a premium segment, even if they are a distinctive offbeat choice. See: Saab.

I don't really know how to feel about this. On the one hand, I welcome more RWD cars on the market. On the other hand, Alfa has been about FWD sportscars since the Alfasud days. Apart from Citroen they are probably the only brand where I'd say they have a FWD tradition worth keeping alive.

I think this is great news. Whilst the Alfasud was an excellent FWD car (handling wise), the brand has gone south (pun intended) ever since they started making FWD cars. In the 1960s and early 70s, Alfa (as a brand) was the equal of BMW. Look at it now, it sells rebadged Fiats. The current model line-up has to be the nadir for the company in all its 90 year history.

As for SUVs, I think that means they are serious about making this switch (in philosophy) work. Look at Porsche. They have one model which outsells the rest of their range combined ... and what is it? A V6 Diesel-powered SUV!

I disagree. They were no heavier than the contemporary E60 BMW or even the E90 3 series. I can see them being nose-heavy, but overall weight seems pretty standard.

They were close to an E90 in size. The problem was that they were nose-heavy FWD cars that were made by a company that is meant to make more sprightly, fun-to-drive cars. Unfortunately the cars felt blunted by their weight, like an ageing athlete who has grown a bit of a gut. The 4WD V6 versions should have solved the problem by sending power to more wheels and providing more power, but by many reports simply exacerbated it by adding even more weight.

Because of this they ended up with a pretty limited market. The car enthusiasts who were drawn to the Alfa name and styling were put off by less-than-impressive handling. It would never be mainstream due to Alfa's reputation for reliability (or lack thereof). So most Alfas were sold to people who bought them for their looks alone - a lot of women who wanted a stylish car for instance, interior-designer types. Men like my old high school principal who perhaps cared too much for their hair and bought a new 147 every few years. Definitely not a mainstream market.

If they were rear-drive or even just lighter, they would be near the top of my 'next car' list. Alas, a 3-Series does everything better, apart from looks.

Last edited:
In Eastern Europe at least, the primary reason for people not buying Alfas is exactly the reputation for being unreliable. Even the so called "car enthusiasts" don't buy Alfas and instead stick with less-than-sporty BMW 318i...some of them even converted to LPG.

Ditching all FWD hatchbacks is bullshit if they want to have any decent sales in Europe. Anyway I'm starting to fear Fiat will go bankrupt before we see any of the promised new models.

I think this is great news. Whilst the Alfasud was an excellent FWD car (handling wise), the brand has gone south (pun intended) ever since they started making FWD cars. In the 1960s and early 70s, Alfa (as a brand) was the equal of BMW. Look at it now, it sells rebadged Fiats. The current model line-up has to be the nadir for the company in all its 90 year history.

As for SUVs, I think that means they are serious about making this switch (in philosophy) work. Look at Porsche. They have one model which outsells the rest of their range combined ... and what is it? A V6 Diesel-powered SUV!

My dad makes this argument constantly but he also blames the demise of Alfa and Lancia on FIAT ownership.

Anyway I'm starting to fear Fiat will go bankrupt before we see any of the promised new models.

With CNH/Fiat Industrial doing as well as it has, I don't think they'll be going bankrupt anytime soon.

Last edited:
My dad makes this argument constantly but he also blames the demise of Alfa and Lancia on FIAT ownership.

Your dad sounds very wise. :)

Although, Alfa was in pretty deep financial problems at the time of the Fiat takeover (it was owned by the Italian Government, after all). It probably would've gone under if Fiat hadn't stepped in.