Jalopnik: All Gawker sites now require an external ID to comment

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
Car(s)
79 Opel Kadett|72 Ford Country Sedan|03 Volvo XC70
Less than one and a half years after Gawker's whole user database fell into the hands of hackers you'll now have to "convert your account to third-party authentication, using either Twitter, Facebook, or Google". One of Gawker's properties, of course, is automotive news site Jalopnik, even if many people, including Murilee Martin, think that it's not worth visiting any more after the takeover.

The reason behind this, of course, is not to prevent you from commenting anonymously, to tie your account to a social media profile in order to sell targeted ads at higher prices or to keep you from commeting altogether ("The idea of capturing the intelligence of the readership -- that's a joke." - Nick Denton, Gawker founder). They have only your best interests, your security, in mind:

"By tying your commenting account to a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account, we're putting our account security layer in the hands of some of the best in the business ? major sites with more security expertise and resources than anyone else on the web." (src)

Yeah, right.

As most of these section's users are jalopnik readers I felt this belongs into Automotive News. If the mods disagree, feel free to move this to the Tech section.

Last edited:
ea7.jpg

Jalopnik is boring. Hard to navigate. And filled with normal people. You want Autoblog. Ridicilously poor journalism. Drivels of people who have no idea Denmark is not a US state. Commenters blaming Obama and the UAW and/or foreigners for ruining America and/or vehicle X. It's much more fun!

Last edited:
ea7.jpg

Jalopnik is boring. Hard to navigate. And filled with normal people. You want Autoblog. Ridicilously poor journalism. Drivels of people who have no idea Denmark is not a US state. Commenters blaming Obama and the UAW and/or foreigners for ruining America and/or vehicle X. It's much more fun!

I actually like Autoblog more than Jalopnik but that's just me.

See I have been tiring of Jalopnik lately. Where are people getting quality auto news these days?

ea7.jpg

Denmark is near Rhode Island, is it not?

I actually like Autoblog more than Jalopnik but that's just me.
Me too because it's quick and they have big pictures. And they usually post stuff that's pretty straight forward, like summaries of press releases or spy photographs and whatnot.
Denmark is near Rhode Island, is it not?
Apparently it's north of Raymond.

I just commented on Jalopnik's QOTW with my ancient Jalopnik username, and it didn't give me any trouble.

And as far as various blogs go, I tend to rely on Autoblog for the news (don't bother reading the shit journalism or comments - just pictures, specs, stats, etc) and Jalopnik for just the offbeat/weird/cool/interesting auto posts. Sure the new Jalopnik is terribly designed and confusing, but before I used Firefox's live bookmark RSS feature, I browsed the old jalopnik at http://blog.jalopnik.com/. I find the comments on there to actually be somewhat decent too.

I've been finding myself going to Jalopnik less and less anyway. It seems that more and more of the content is not car news at all, just other news that somehow involves a car. Or, top ten lists based off used comments. Neither of which interest me.

And so, everyone flocked to TTAC

TTAC has the world slowest comment processing. And it's not even moderated. It's just really reall slow. Also it's got Bertel Schmitt, which is the worlds least unashamed VW fanboy, coming from a VW career.