All New BMW Isetta? Maybe...

THGL

Car(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) Limited
4063-03.jpg

http://motortorque.askaprice.com/news/auto-0711/bmw-mulls-allnew-isetta-compact-car.asp
BMW looks set to take on the smart, Volkswagen Beetle and Fiat 500 with its own resurrected legend - the Isetta microcar.

Originally made in the 50s, the three-wheeled two-cylinder Isetta measured 2.4m long and could seat two adults.

Though ideal for city driving with its bubble car-style front access, the Isetta made no allowances for parallel parking, having no reverse gear.

There?s nothing confirmed yet, but with strict European Commission CO2 targets necessitating all manufacturers to reduce emissions across their model range you can expect something Isetta-shaped in the pipeline by 2010.

It?s to be expected that the new version will add side doors, a fourth wheel and a few horses to the original?s 12, though the rear-mounted engine is expected to stay.

If equipped with BMW?s EfficientDynamics programme and a likely-small engine the Isetta can be expected to return excellent figures for fuel economy and carbon emissions. ?

:puke:

The last bastion of the untainted small car! Please, no retro version to ruin the hopes and dreams of humanity!

Seriously...no. Just no. And it has side doors, ffs! :yucky:

looks quite ugly... kind of like a bug

If they're going to make it, it'll succeed, simply because :bmwpoo:.

I wouldn't count me as a potential customer though.

If they do it well this could be a great car and go head to head with the Smart. But if they screw it up it could be a pretty spectacular failure.

So far we only have one comment on the looks. Could it be? Have people learned that those are "artist renditions"?

As far as the Isetta is concerned I say it's a bad idea. Translating that car into a modern version is bound to fail since everything that made the original would need to be dropped. It would end up a shadow of its former self.

As far as the Isetta is concerned I say it's a bad idea. Translating that car into a modern version is bound to fail since everything that made the original would need to be dropped. It would end up a shadow of its former self.
:yes: The original was such a unique car, I think it would be impossible to do something that even embodied the "spririt" of it today.

And it has side doors, ffs! :yucky:

i'd have to agree with both of you. the original was known for its 1 giant door that opened up front. the SAME EXACT thing happened with the VW New Beetle. they changed it from a light weight, rear-engined, RWD car to a piece-o-shit, flower on the dash as an option, fatass, girly car.

I like the look of that design sketch, which may set me apart from the rest.

However, if BMW do go ahead with something like this - and I hope they do - please don't call it an Isetta. The only similarities would be the rear-enginedness, really. Call it a 0.5 series or something, or start a new brand. A sub-mini brand to rival smart.

I love small cars; I love clever small cars; I love clever small cars from well-established manufacturers. This looks like it could do well if it goes ahead. Just please not with the Isetta name.

So far we only have one comment on the looks. Could it be? Have people learned that those are "artist renditions"?

The start of the millenium wasn't exactly a golden era concerning the looks of BMW's, but then BMW's always got their reputation for the way they drive to a big part as well, that's what I'm most interested in if BMW announces a succeedor of the Isetta. If it's anything like the old one it must be extremely rubbish to drive by their current standards.

I'm in favour of the small cars. While I'd never personally drive a Smart, Mini, 500 or the like, they're great for reducing inner-city congestion, reducing reliance on fuel, and freeing up parking space. I'd love to see more people ditching their huge SUV's and big sedans around here for these super-mini's. Bring it, BMW, just don't call it an Isetta.